The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Purple Audio stuff
Old 20th October 2013
New Purple Audio stuff

Hey I didn't see this stuff mentioned anywhere so I figured I'd post it. Purple has a new modular rackmount mixer system and a new 500 series module. The picture goes 2ru meter bridge, 3ru sweet ten, 3ru sweet ten, 1ru new mixer, 4ru (?) fader pack.

The mixer has quite a bit to it so let's see if I can remember everything correctly. If you plug in a mono source to one of the ten channels you get mute solo pan and level control. If you plug in a fader then the level control becomes a mono aux send. If plug in a stereo source the pan becomes a balance control. There is also the optional meter bridge, which can be used without the mixer, and has programmable ballistics (I believe this will have to be done at the factory when you order but am not sure). Andrew (Mr. Purple himself) said the mixer is going to be about 2500$, the meter bridge is 700$ for the first set and power supply and then you can get additional meter banks to run off the same supply so expansion will be cheaper, but he wasn't sure how much. I didn't catch how much the fader pack will cost.

I didn't get to dig around back to get a clear picture of all of the I/O on these things.

How does it sound? Uhh....kinda like I was standing in a noisy convention hall. Although considering its pedigree, I would expect very good things in that regard. I can say with certainty that it felt great and was laid out well.

The new module is a little mixer for 2 stereo sources. It has 2 stereo phono preamps and a switch per input to choose between line/phono. Both inputs have a level knob and there is a cross fader to go between the 2 sources as well as a master level knob. I only fiddled with this one for a minute so I may be getting something wrong, but I believe that is the gist of it.

Good ****

Don

EDIT: why do it rotate my pic? stoopid thing
Attached Thumbnails
New Purple Audio stuff-photo-18.jpg  
Old 20th October 2013
Deleted 37a7726
Now this I like....
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

That looks awesome, thanks for posting!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

So by the sounds of it this will def worth a look - looked on their site -is it the ox?
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Sweet! Purple Rules!
Old 20th October 2013
The ox is something else, although I think there is a way to use it to expand upon this mixer but I am not entirely sure. The new stuff is not on the site yet as far as I have seen.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

This. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to see.
Old 21st October 2013
I am extremely interested in this piece. it looks like there is one of their 500 series mixers on the top row. I wonder if it would be possible to sum with that as well as the mixer on the bottom.
Old 21st October 2013
I thought about that afterwards as well. You could perhaps use a Moiyn as an alternate output. The question would be if there was a way to separate the level controls for the 2 different buses as the Moiyn unit sees the output of the sweet ten slot but that is also what is feeding the other mixer. I am not sure how (or if) he was using that bus in this setup. It could have only been there for display purposes during AES.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

10 channels hm...

Whats it about those sidecar, only 10 channels aurora and now this. at 16 tracks i would be interesting :-)
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

This seems like the product API should have made with The Box. This is very very interesting!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Very interesting, I would like to know more details about features/parts/costs for sure
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakanai View Post
Good ****
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Ya that's exactly what I want. Weirdly even the 10 channels work perfect for my set-up. Hmm...the meters are showing a mono signal but it looks like each fader has a stereo meter. I really need to learn more about this thing.
Old 21st October 2013
Stack it for the bigness
Old 21st October 2013
Would this be limited to the sweet 10? I've wanted to do this forever but the price of those Lindell racks....
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Wonder if this setup can be doubled with x2 of everything? Can 20 channels work?
Old 21st October 2013
I am not certain but I think the units are cascade-able. And so long as they can be cascaded then 10 channels seems ideal to me. If your converters/tape machine come in multiples of 8 then when you mix you are going to want channels for returns and parallel processing.

I am guessing with the meters (considering the mixers layout) that they simply display what you have plugged into the mixer. Meaning mono sources use the left meter of the pair and stereo sources use both. Now I am not sure what the physical I/O is on the back so I wonder if this interfaces with the mixer through all balanced connections making it a simple matter to use independently. That would be nice.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

The Sweet Ten seems to be an integral part of the sauce...

At least in regards to using the 'Moiyn' Module for summing

--From the Website--

With the Moiyn installed into slot 9 of the Sweet Ten, slots 1 through 8 become input modules to the Moiyn. Because of the Moiyn’s differential summing input amplifiers, any standard module can be used in slot 1 through 8 with minimal loading, and without unbalancing their outputs. This means that even while you use the Moiyn to sum the outputs of the modules in slots 1 through 8, you can still take the slot 1 through 8 output XLRs to your DAW or tape machine.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

There is now a page up on the site, slide up tomorrow.
MFtwenty5 1-RU Mixer

The Moiyn, Dex and pair of Cans were in the setup for ease of demo sake.
Should be 10 eq over 10 comp or 10 pre over 10 eq/comp or 20 eq /comp
in vertical pairs L/R for stem mode.

I think the other questions will be clear from the page
and as we add content about optional mono/stereo faders and meter unit
it will make more sense.

Target ship is january, target pricing is $2500 for 1RU,
Mono fader pack - $1000, stereo fader pack $2000, meter box
$700. Should work out about that.

I don't understand how you would use the moiyn and MFtweny5 but that doesn't mean you can't do it. I learned new uses from potential clients at the show. I hadn't seen it as add 10 stereo FX returns to a console but, that that would work, with or without fader packs.

The sweet tens don't need to used for the MFtwenty5, you can use any 500 rack or modules for inputs, really you don't need 500 modules to use it, hook your daw up to the rear D-subs and you will get a 20x2 in 1RU.

Meter unit has 4 DSUB
1, 1-22 unbalanced input for use with the MF-25, Buffered in the MFtwenty5 as I was out of space.
2,3,4 balanced D25 in standard pinout in stacked mult connectors, 100K balanced input impedance means you can
pass through on mult to or from DAW or something else. Only bummer is 22 meter, not 24, designed for the MFtwenty5
20 inputs, 2 buss, and really I don't fit anymore, very dense double sided SMT pic controllers w custom software drives LED.
I put some pictures on some of that on the purple audio facebook page a while back, someone posted a tom waits song in response -

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Purpl...19390978077592
Old 21st October 2013
Amazing work Andrew! I'm seriously digging it!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldini View Post
This seems like the product API should have made with The Box. This is very very interesting!
Word!

Purple did it so, kudos to them!
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Good ****, indeed!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Yes! Sign me up. Its like this was tailor made just to fit my needs... Beautiful, guys, great work!!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Andrew, this looks great! Are the fader packs 4RU? I'm wondering if they could be fitted in one of the Sterling Modular or Argosy desks designed for the Avid Artist Series.

Keep up the great work!

Stu
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

meters look like 2U and the fader 5U from the photos.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Meter are 2RU, fader are 4RU.

Units is cascadable for larger systems. Base unit is mono 10x2 or stereo 20x2
You hook them together, 1/4" TRS out D25 inject in. There are front panel
inject/defeat so that you can leave it all hooked up and separate with a button if you want to use it split.
Old 25th October 2013
Man, this looks super versitile with a sweet ten and other purple modules. Really cool modular vision!

Is there plans to expand beyond 1 aux send? Maybe with the Ox?
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by le purp View Post
Meter are 2RU, fader are 4RU.

Units is cascadable for larger systems. Base unit is mono 10x2 or stereo 20x2
You hook them together, 1/4" TRS out D25 inject in. There are front panel
inject/defeat so that you can leave it all hooked up and separate with a button if you want to use it split.
Andrew, thanks for the info. So in order to cascade 2 units, you would feed out of the 1st one's Stereo Outs L/R (TRS) into the 2nd one's Stereo Inject L/R (DB25), correct? Can you do the same for a 3rd unit?

I was looking at the rear panel rendering on your site, and am wondering how you would connect the Mults. Any insights or examples?

Also, can you mix mono and stereo inputs on 1 unit, or do you need 1 designated for mono sources and a 2nd for stereo sources? I'd like to use 1 for mono sources (Ch. 1-10), and another for mono (Ch. 11-14) and stereo (Drum, GTR, and Vox Busses) sources if possible.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am very interested in this new system

Thanks again,
Stu
Old 25th October 2013
Just from my understanding, to answer what I know of the MFtwenty5 setup so far -- the "Inject" let you chain as many mixers as you want, down the line! You just network the units for all the solo/mute logic to tie together. Pretty rad way to build it up!

The MULT's are "pass through" from whatever feeds the inputs. So you can feed those input channels to separate places, and the summing at the same time. Probably more than a few applications for it!

Not 100% sure if you can split up Stereo channels and Mono channels on each mixer. I would guess not, but I don't know for sure. Just pan out 9/10 :-)

So if you have two mono fader packs for 20 channels mono setup - and then a Stereo 20X2 mixer+fader pack for Stereo Sub's, you would have a 40 input Purple console!! That would be incredible...I also think it would be awesome to have a Stereo 20x2 With Fader pack as stereo effects returns to next to a console!!!

Hope this helps at least a little!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search