The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LDC recommedation for acoustic archtop (and other duties)
Old 20th October 2013
LDC recommedation for acoustic archtop (and other duties)

I have another friend getting into recording. We both are really into acoustic archtops, and occasionally plug in to a tube amp.

This guy insisted on getting a ribbon so I steered him to an AT4041 because it was active—and one that I use—so he has that now. He now wants to record in stereo so i suggested an LDC to use with his 4041. I've also had good luck with tube LDCs but the mics i have aren't made or are too expensive for him.

With a budget of $450 or less, what mic would you pick for acoustic archtop (mono & stereo), a Fender-y amp, and maybe someday vocals?

Here are some i honed in on. Others? Thoughts?

CAD E100S ($320 ebay)
Studio Projects T3 ($400 bstock)
Studio Projects CS5 ($300)
sE Electronics Z3300a ($450)
Kel HM-3C ($250 ebay)

Thank you!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

My AT4047 absolutely loves my Saga Gitane DG500 (a Django Reinhardt style acoustic guitar). Best mic for that guitar I've tried - nothing else managed to nail the chunkiness while still capturing the transient bite.

And plenty here will testify to the 4047's capabilities as a vocal mic too.

Your mate could score one secondhand for that money.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

AT 4050 for my Gibson J45 here. Have used on Taylor and martin as well.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
nothing else managed to nail the chunkiness while still capturing the transient bite.
That's the real sweet spot right? So hard to get that pumping sound if you are too far away, but moving in close you get overloaded midrange. Thanks for your reco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
AT 4050 for my Gibson J45 here. Have used on Taylor and martin as well.
Thank for the reply. I'm specifically looking for help with recording acoustic archtops.
Old 1st November 2013
I tried a Kel HM-3c and found the self-noise to be really high. It was extremely surprising for a mic that is supposed to be for acoustic instruments. Perhaps i got a bad one but that was my experience. While recording in stereo with a different mic, there was a distracting hiss coming from the HM-3C channel that made it unusable.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral View Post
Thank for the reply. I'm specifically looking for help with recording acoustic archtops.

Sorry spiral, I know it's hearsay, but I have heard they are nice on stringed instruments across the board. There are many contenders. Good luck with the search.
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

I like KSM 44 on fingerstyle acoustic, might find a used one at that price, well built so tend to hold up used. Detailed but smooth, quiet, and multipattern.
Also near that price used a TLM 102 would work well. Also quiet, and very natural sounding. Good luck.
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear
In the price range try an used AT 4050, new you might look at the KSM32 (or used 44)

multipatterned with Ribbon gets you in the dual fig of 8 territory that can be useful in a lot of situations

For a number of years I found the AKG C414 (specific variation I used is now out of print and even used out of price range, but there are some variations on that theme that are not, used, too far out) to be very useful on acoustic guitars of all stripes . . . some of the issues engineers have with vocals can make it particularly useful on Archtop acoustics
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search