The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundcraft 200SR question
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Soundcraft 200SR question

Hi all! I have a Soundcraft 200sr analog mixer I recently was given to for pretty cheap, I use it for summing.
The console is in good cosmetic condition for its age, works fine and sounds amazing although it has a mild but chronic electrical/burning smell to it. Something you perceive when you get close to it. It really is chronic, you can smell it even when not plugged in and not connected to its power supply.
Should I be concerned or i it could be normal for an old lady like mine? (probably 30 or some years old) No maintenance/recapping has been done to it that I know of, all I know is that it was rather dusty when I first got it.
Excuse my ignorance but unfortunately my knowledge in electronics with vintage gear is zero.
any help would be much appreciated.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Here's some things you can look at.
Pull every channel strip(2 screws top/bottom) and inspect them for blackish heat spots and give them a couple shots with a can of compressed air.If one of them has that burning smell,disconect it,switch it with the last one and leave it disconnected.You'll still have 23 channels or you can buy those strips on ebay.
Do the same with the master section(4 screws).
Take the cover off the power supply and have a look in there for blackish areas and blow that out with the air.
Sometimes just cleaning it like that will help but the power supply may be on its way out.
I would unplug the power supply from the wall outlet at night till i got to the bottom of it though if it smells constantly.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Yup, time to look her over. Put on some music, get some good lighting in place, work your way across pulling each strip/segment and blowing the dust out. Good clean fun...!
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks guys! I just opened the ch 16 strip, no black spots so far, I'll go grab some dust off tomorrow... It's a 16ch mounted on a 24ch frame so it's not that bad. From what it seems adding channel strips shouldn't be too complicated so I might fill up the board eventually.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search