The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
2nd Hand Toft Purchase!!
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

2nd Hand Toft Purchase!!

Hello!!!
New to the forum and I am looking for some help!!

I am debating wether I should buy a toft ATB-24 2nd hand... According to the seller the desk is 3 years old and he is selling due to downsizing..

I have already secured a deal and I am planning to go take a look at the kit tomorrow.

It is for a new studio that I am building and think it is a good basis to start working from.

Does anyone know a good, effective and thorough method of testing the desk amd what to look out for eg. certain components that are know to be troublesome...

I have worked on these desks before and I am hoping I have found a good quality piece of kit!!

Any other questions I will gladly answer. P.S sorry for any typos im on a mobile!

Cheers
CraveMac
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi, I don't know how to properly check, but definately get it checked out. I saw a toft on craigslist recently and it had so many issues listed (you have to wonder about the build quality on these boards)
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Tere are a ton of threads on the toft here....so search away....but heres some quick things

Check what version it is....seriel numbers under 500ish usually are the original model and are more prone to issues....the later the board the better most likely and seeing how its only three years old most likely is onof the revised boards fixing some of the early issues.

Therenis alot oflove and hate for these boards....but from my reseach in their price range their isnt much else at touches the tofts abilities....
Also note their are mods available that will greatly enhance this desk in the future...both for the preamps and the master bus through jim williams at audio upgrades

As far as checking the desk....obviously check all channels pass audio, check all pots and faders....chck all ins and outs and aux sends returns....

Someone posted a good list somewhere on how to check a desk...that was very extnesive....i cant give all that detail...but there is a start

Imho its a great desk...has its issues but doesnt everything
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Nut

I got a 16 ch v2 used. I traded a pm1000 that i got for $50, a beyer m160, and $. It had the first 8 ch upgraded with jim williams "pip" op amp swap. It is a cool desk. It was not without issue, unfortunately. One of the ch had a problem on the input, so i bought a new ch from pmi/toft. $150. They are easy to disassemble and the eq is great. All the unbalanced stuff is a pain, since i had never wired a patchbay before, but its working fine.

I read a bunch before the trade. The pm1000 was ok, but not any less tempermental. It also had zero routing options that were useful. No direct outs on ch. and the eq was a joke.

With any used item, confirm it works, assess any issues, and decide if its worth a fix or if you can live with it in relation to the savings.

I had a neotek i regularly swore at and hadtonot use certain ch because theyjustnever worked right. Im happy with the toft.

D.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeways View Post
I got a 16 ch v2 used. I traded a pm1000 that i got for $50, a beyer m160, and $. It had the first 8 ch upgraded with jim williams "pip" op amp swap. It is a cool desk. It was not without issue, unfortunately. One of the ch had a problem on the input, so i bought a new ch from pmi/toft. $150. They are easy to disassemble and the eq is great. All the unbalanced stuff is a pain, since i had never wired a patchbay before, but its working fine.

I read a bunch before the trade. The pm1000 was ok, but not any less tempermental. It also had zero routing options that were useful. No direct outs on ch. and the eq was a joke.

With any used item, confirm it works, assess any issues, and decide if its worth a fix or if you can live with it in relation to the savings.

I had a neotek i regularly swore at and hadtonot use certain ch because theyjustnever worked right. Im happy with the toft.

D.
That's a pretty good deal. A PM1000 only can beat the Toft with it's preamps and the transformers on the 2Bus. The Toft's EQ, routing, easy serviceability and overall newness make it more desirable than a PM1000 to me. For the PM1000 range I think it's best to just harvest the channels and rack them.

A PM2000 however would be a significant upgrade from the Toft.
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies... Just having a read through all the posts regarding the Toft... Seems everyone believes it is a solid desk and is 'easily' serviceable anyway. Might start looking into self servicing the desk, something new to learn then.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey strangeways...
What difference did u notice with the PIP chips... Curious if it was the same as my findings
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
Hey strangeways...
What difference did u notice with the PIP chips... Curious if it was the same as my findings
I don't use the pres on the toft, so i can't comment. I usually use my first 8 ch for drums. Kick, sn (top and bot) stereo tom bus, stereo oh/room bus, and a stereo bus for itb parallel compression.

Only difference is it seems to flip the phase, but i didnt install them, so not sure if the guy who did it knew what was up.

I've really been using the toft for tracking with eq. I'm planning a full mix of my own stuff soon on it. Just need to get tracking finished.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

You may want to play a test tone or cd into a pair of channels, raise the master fader until it is around 0db. See if you can live with the noise floor. If it bugs you, it's the wrong mixer for you.

Good luck!!!
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Did find this video... What do people think will be the best way to go about playing a track through each channel? Think the desk is in storage so it maybe an 'on the go' setup I will have concoct!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiQPv9yc4KM

CraveMac
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Ask the guy what version it is. The newer version boards are pretty tight, but I have read a good number of posts griping about quality control on the V1 and V2 consoles... Do a bit of research on QC issues for that console version, and ask the buyer to test those specific board functions for you.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Although as much as ive heard about earlier boards having issues mine is a fairly low serial number and has had no issues to date (fingers crossed)
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

So turned out I bought the desk!

Was an earlier model below the 100's in terms of S/N, however it was in fantastic condition for its age. Had the odd crackling pots and one intermittent channel, but I am still very happy with the purchase!

Now to see how it settles in the studio...

Here she is!!!!:

2nd Hand Toft Purchase!!-999779_385968824839727_1900107161_n.jpg
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Dont wanna pry but curious how much ya got it for?!

I think my serial number was in the 400 range....and was told that under 500ish was first batch run....although apparently they do not definitively know (or at least i was told by support) where the cut offs fall.

But they did supply me with the changes each version had in order to check which version my board was....

Crackling pots should be an easy fix with some cleaner....

Enjoy
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
Dont wanna pry but curious how much ya got it for?!

I think my serial number was in the 400 range....and was told that under 500ish was first batch run....although apparently they do not definitively know (or at least i was told by support) where the cut offs fall.

But they did supply me with the changes each version had in order to check which version my board was....

Crackling pots should be an easy fix with some cleaner....

Enjoy
I'm curious too
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search