The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My experience at AES: Adam, Focal, Barefoot, no show
Old 19th October 2013
My experience at AES: Adam, Focal, Barefoot, no show

Needless to say I was disappointed that Adam, Focal, and Barefoot did not have a booth this time around. I did get to hear the Neumann 310's and PMC Twotwo 6's, and I was very impressed with both monitors.

I checked out the Raven from Steve Slate. I was impressed with how it integrated with the Pro Tools, but I just don't like moving faders and pans with my finger on a screen. Some may love it, but it's not for me.

The Sotftube Console 1 I liked very much. The controls feel like quality and does not have cheap knobs. They feel very solid and the work flow on it is excellent. When it jumps to the screen, no matter what plug in you use has the same interface. I sort of like this because you are not getting influenced by the plug in display like seeing a SSL or API, but more on what your hearing.

I was glad company's like Avalon (love the 2055 and 747), Cranesong/Dave Hill (Titan and Ibis blew me away), Pendulum ES-8 and OCL-2, Telefunken, had a good amount of their gear for you to try.

Miktek is a mic company out of Nashville, TN. Their CV3 and CV4 tube mic's are priced under $1,500 and sound great. Not too tubey, and the top end was not that typcial harsh high end sound that I heard from many company's.

Dangerous did not have their new compressor, only a handout about it.

Got to try out the SSL gear, which was a joy to use. Nucleus has so many more features over the Mackie Controller, and the Matrix 2 is amazing.

Audient 4816 was a joy to use. Faders are very smooth and the work flow on it is very easy. Like the bus compressor I on. Learned the sad news that the Black Series gear is no longer made.

Pultec EQ's sound amazing. Not surprisingly the tube version sounded nicer than the solid state. Its not that they have a tube sound but a pleasant clean sound actually.

A Design Nail and hammer are just wonderful sounding gear.

Toft mixer has wonderful EQ and smooth faders.

API The Box: for the price of the mixer I don't like it. It seems they cut some corners on this and with only 4 pre's, it would not meet my needs. The Audient mixer has so much more features for the same price point

Sound on Sound had some good seminars about sub woofer placement, and general recording.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for your honest report. Appreciate your candor. Sorry about the missing gear you wanted to see.
Old 20th October 2013
I was also disappointed that Focal did not have a booth this year. I was looking forward to it. I, too, was impressed with the Neumann monitors.

I always get excited to see Telefunken because you can try all the mics and even buy them there if you want. They typically run AES specials.

I was especially impressed with the ADK Zmod mics. ADK has never really wowed me in the past, but the tube Zmods are very sweet.

Wish I could stay and finish out the convention today but I have to get home. Lots of literature to go through tonight!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Glenn,

Dangerous has the compressor on demo at sterling sound on Friday and Saturday. What's cool about it is that Chris Muth, the designer, gave a personalized demo in a very nice mastering control room so you get to hear all the nuances and great features it has.

I also agree with you on the Softube Console1. It is my favorite thing at the show. I played around with it for about 15 minutes and it feels quite natural after knowing where the knobs are.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
Glenn,

Dangerous has the compressor on demo at sterling sound on Friday and Saturday. What's cool about it is that Chris Muth, the designer, gave a personalized demo in a very nice mastering control room so you get to hear all the nuances and great features it has.

I also agree with you on the Softube Console1. It is my favorite thing at the show. I played around with it for about 15 minutes and it feels quite natural after knowing where the knobs are.
Wish I had time to go Sterling and hear things in a better environment, but with the wife having a birthday, I needed to get home by 4:30.

A big thank you to Dave Kennedy for explaining the Mix Master to me, Dave Hill for explaining the wonderful Titan and Ibis, Doug Fern for chatting with us and hearing his awesome compressor and EQ. Simon from Focal who answered many questions on their monitors and headphones, Tristan and Hutch from Rubert Neve, Paul White and Hugh Robjohns talking gear and giving helpful seminars. The wireless headphones they handed out for all of us allowed everyone to hear everything about sub woofers, placement etc for clearly. Great to talk with Tim Dolbear at Samplitude/Sequoia as well. He tries hard to be helpful to everyone even the the same 6 or 7 on the forums that are always are rude and complain all the time.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Dangerous did not have their new compressor, only a handout about it.
I was there Sunday and they had the new compressor on display on Sunday.

Regards,
Frank
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Sotftube Console 1 I liked very much. The controls feel like quality and does not have cheap knobs. They feel very solid and the work flow on it is excellent. When it jumps to the screen, no matter what plug in you use has the same interface. I sort of like this because you are not getting influenced by the plug in display like seeing a SSL or API, but more on what your hearing.
Thanks for the kind words! The show was just such an ego boost for us with people lining up to get a demo!

Cheers,
Henrik
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
Thanks for the kind words! The show was just such an ego boost for us with people lining up to get a demo!

Cheers,
Henrik
The Console One is thy best plug in controller experience I ever had. That includes the Raven and even the SSL Nucleus. The following is the reasons for me.

1. Solid knobs offer a good feel and the base is steady and solid.
2. On the screen, they wisely allowed you to see the scribble trips of your DAW on the bottom. So jumping to specific tracks is easier.
3. The controller is small and fits nicely by a X Desk, small mixer, or Mackie Controller.
4. Looking down on the controls is fast and easy. The labeling is great, and knobs feel solid. When you have a Nucleus or Mackie Controller that share multiple functions on knobs and faders, you have to re-accustom your eyes to what the controller is doing now. With the Control One being dedicated to plug ins, there is no readjustment to the controls.
5. You get some of Soft Tubes great plug ins to use as well.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

This was my first AES. I went specifically to check out Monitors and convertors. I did get to hear most the monitors I wanted to but I had to go to studios to do so. I heard the SM9's, ATC's (again ), the gen 2 barefoots, 310's, Tridents and the PCM's. I feel I got a pretty good idea of what I like and don't about the speakers but, it did take a little work to get that opportunity. I should probably try and get them all in one room still for a better comparison if possible.

Side note, almost every booth had the new Focal headphones. They sound pretty good. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

The other stand out gear I thought was of course the Serpent stuff which I love, Samar audio Mics (those sound so good even on a show floor) and I finally got to hear the PL2 and the ATS-1 which I thought booth sounded great. I also dug the new Latch Lake mic stand and the IsoAcoustic speaker stands. Those seem like very useful tools and affordable.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

I personally kind of thought the PMC monitors sounded like crap.

And I too was very disappointed that there was no Focal or Barefoot presence at the show.
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I should probably try and get them all in one room still for a better comparison if possible.

Quote:
Side note, almost every booth had the new Focal headphones. They sound pretty good. Anyone have any thoughts on them?
Really love mine, they are accurate, translate well for me. Comfortable, have really impressive "speaker-like" sound. I was using them for editing the other day at another studio, [which had NS10 and Genelec Speakers] and boy was I happy to turn em off.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wish I had time to go Sterling and hear things in a better environment, but with the wife having a birthday, I needed to get home by 4:30.

Great to talk with Tim Dolbear at Samplitude/Sequoia as well. He tries hard to be helpful to everyone even the same 6 or 7 on the forums that are always are rude and complain all the time.
Thanks! great to hang with you too!

PS, those 6 or 7 on the Samplitude forum are going to go bizerk in the next day or so... should be fun to watch. There is an announcement coming.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thomas and I apologize that we were not there! We love going to NY and displaying our speakers! Since the release of the Gen2's we've been focused on fulfilling our hefty backlog of orders. However, we will be at AES next year for sure! And we intend to have a private room so one can actually hear the speakers and make an accurate judgment regarding their linearity, etc...
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post
PS, those 6 or 7 on the Samplitude forum are going to go bizerk in the next day or so... should be fun to watch. There is an announcement coming.
Mac version ready??

EDIT.. Found it, turns out they canned the Mac version:

Samplitude NOT coming to MAC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search