The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best all time Electro Voice microphones?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Best all time Electro Voice microphones?

Ok, so there's some obvious answers to this, but isn't there some sleepers too? EV has been around for a long time (30's?). What are some of your favorite EV mics that have been produced AND.. . which ones should we stay away from? Have at it sluts .
Old 19th October 2013
Deleted User
Obviously the RE20 goes without saying.

I like my RE38. At one point it was their top of the line dynamic. The RE2000 is cool too and was their top of the line condenser.

Others:
EV 676 - The Jim Morrison mic.
EV 664 - The Buchanan Hammer.
Old 19th October 2013
RE20 obviously, but I'm a big fan of the RE11/RE16 mics- great retro vibe. The 635a is also a pretty cool mic to have around and is cheap. EV makes a lot of really kick ass affordable mics.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

I've had luck with:

RE20 -- bass, acoustic guitar, probably kick, probably other amps and horns (didn't try), some vocals (but prefer others for vocals MD441, M88, SM7B). sold mine, am OK.

RE18 -- amps mainly, but sound quite good. haven't thrown these all around yet but I have 3. didn't love them on toms I'll stick to e604.

RE15 -- very nice on acoustic guitar or guitar amps

635a -- use them a lot as drum room mics, or when demoing to a 4-track I'll sing into it, play guitar, whole drumset it's perfect for this task.

DS35 -- shows some promise on vocals, again not fully tested in sessions, cool proximity effect

660 / PL6 -- weird metallic vinage electric guitar sound. Secret weapon on inside kick, very good there. like most EVs it works on acoustic guitar.

RE11 -- used to like it on amps but now I use the others above since I have them. The 11 is like a reject RE15/16 diaphragm that didn't meet spec is what I read.
Old 15th November 2013
Gear Head

I'm looking at picking up an RE 15 right now. Always admired their look and sound.
Old 15th November 2013
I've got an old 628L....great only picks up from about a half inch away from the screen...excellent guitar amp mic when you need isolation in a less than stellar acoustical environment.
$10 at my local Pawn Shop.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search