The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Suggestions for 20U racks?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Suggestions for 20U racks?

I unfortunately just had to tear down my studio in preparation for moving. The worst part was it took multiple multiple hours to get everything un-cabled and packed into boxes properly. Next time, I'd like to totally avoid this issue. Here's the deal - The racks are mostly for rack synthesizers. I put an 8x8 MIDI interface and a 16 channel mixer in the middle of the stack and cable up all the synths to both the MIDI and the mixer in the rack, so, for the most part, the rack is completely self contained. All's I really need to do is run out a pair of 1/4" mains from the mixer and a USB cable to my computer to run the whole stack.

What I'd like to be able to do is buy a rack that at least looks nice, that would have detachable wheels on the bottom (it needs to sit on my desk) or re-tractable wheels that wouldn't scratch up my desk but would remain in place, that doesn't LOOK like touring gear, and it MUST have a cover for both the front and the back of the rack that's completely removable so I can simply pack up the whole rack as one unit and move more easily.

Does anyone have suggestions for such a beast?

Devon
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

We use 21 RU padded flight cases with wheels. They look good & when you move you just coil up the cables in the back, put on the covers, and away you go. And the gear is safe for moving.

Suggestions for 20U racks?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1382208312.610764.jpg
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
We use 21 RU padded flight cases with wheels. They look good & when you move you just coil up the cables in the back, put on the covers, and away you go. And the gear is safe for moving.

Attachment 368099
That's what I started to think about too after I posted this. That way I could have to best of both worlds of having something that looks decent, and when it needs to move, up it goes on into a case to protect it.

What brand make/model are those, sir?

Devon
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

It's a guy who lists on eBay and happens to be near NYC where I live. If you look on eBay for padded flight cases you'll find them. They run about $400 each and he would deliver them in a van in 2-3 days. They've held up well thru 2 moves. The guy's name was Thomas.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

When designing my studio, I looked at the cost of some of the pre-fab studio furniture and just about keeled over at the cost. 8k, and I have to PUT IT TOGETHER? That was insane, and this was mid-90's.

A friend of mine was a custom cabinet maker for luxury homes and he heard me complaining about it and thinking of solutions. He said, "Simply give me the rack rails and the depths and type of airflow you need, and let me see what we can do."

End result was TWO studios worth of custom designed hardwood oak studios, complete with huge rack and storage spaces, desk space for a mixer, undercabinets for storage and paperwork, and more than any pre-fab setup could have touched. They also installed it. I chose formica countertops but asked for the strength to later add granite if I wanted to. The weight of granite eventually stopped me, but they could have held it. The problem was mobility, and I am glad, since I have moved a couple times since.

The total cost for all this: Just shy of 6k. And everything was designed to my specs. I could have had a hundred rack unit spaces, if I had so desired, at no extra cost. But I chose mic storage and other storage instead.

It worked out beautifully, and may be a solution you, and others might want to look at. These custom cabinet designers and makers know their stuff, and they are happy to present their plans and modify as needed. After all, they do this all day anyway for some very picky clients in huge luxury housing projects.

Highly recommend.
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
It's a guy who lists on eBay and happens to be near NYC where I live. If you look on eBay for padded flight cases you'll find them. They run about $400 each and he would deliver them in a van in 2-3 days. They've held up well thru 2 moves. The guy's name was Thomas.
Do you have direct link to him?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search