Lives for gear
I wonder if it will be hated even more because it looks so modern
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post
I wonder if it will be hated even more because it looks so modern
Probably - this *is* Gearslutz

And it will probably be hated even more because the capsule is based on that in the D-01 digital mic.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

No need to bash a product in a thread title and before its even released.

New capsule design is interesting. Looks like the mic takes very high SPL. Freq plot doesnt look like typical Neumann... presence peak up like around 12-14k. Dip at 5-6k. Lots of polar patterns.

The casing design kinda looks like an Audio Technica product
Old 19th October 2013
I checked this out yesterday at the show. Speaking into it(granted it was on the showroom floor) right next to the 102, I'd say they sound pretty much identical. This one just has some fancy switching. Just my 2 cents.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I love the design. Any info about the capsule?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Probably - this *is* Gearslutz

And it will probably be hated even more because the capsule is based on that in the D-01 digital mic.
Yes, 99% of the basher who even never heard the mic.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
No need to bash a product in a thread title and before its even released.
I'm not bashing the product at all - it will likely be very good.

And the D-01 capsule that the new one is based on was excellent.

But the title was intended to be "waving a red flag at a bull" as there are so very many posts hating new Neumann mics and loving the old ones.

I am not a hater of the new Neumanns like many people - but the title was intended as a bit of a "stir".
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Yes, 99% of the basher who even never heard the mic.
Like most people here who have never heard the mics they bash.

And I *have* heard the D-01 in which the capsule is based (and that mic is superb, despite people here hating it).

But I am not bashing the mic by having a controversial title - just winding up the people who automatically hate any new Neumann.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

It probably sounds great. Not in love with the look though, looks kind of Sennheiser-ish. (They make fine mics too obviously, not bashing )
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

The PDF brochure with the specs and diagrams is HERE and the Owners Manual is HERE (German first, English second).

Photos are HERE.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
I checked this out yesterday at the show. Speaking into it(granted it was on the showroom floor) right next to the 102, I'd say they sound pretty much identical. This one just has some fancy switching. Just my 2 cents.
A TLM 102 with multiple patterns would be an ideal mic for me.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwacko View Post
Yep.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
See HERE and HERE.

It looks NASA inspired.
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann TLM 107 - a new Neumann mic. for people to hate-rk1.jpg   Neumann TLM 107 - a new Neumann mic. for people to hate-rk2.jpg  
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The PDF brochure with the specs and diagrams is HERE and the Owners Manual is HERE (German first, English second).

Photos are HERE.
Thanks. Impressive brochure. And doesn't look quite as odd in black, IMHO.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
yup yup.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Spent some time with Greg Beebe and the mic. I think its pretty promising...we aren't far from them so he will bring one by in a couple of weeks.

I am not a huge 103 fan, but i like the 102 and have had very nice results with my TLM127.
Old 19th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
And I *have* heard the D-01 in which the capsule is based (and that mic is superb, despite people here hating it).
I own three D-01 and know exactly what they're doing and how they sound. The TLM 107, which I had as a prototype for comparison and testing, goes into a similar direction and for the price is a real bargain if somebody wants a neutral and full sounding LDC. It is no cheaper D-01 version of course, but the heritage of the capsule is obvious from the sound (I recorded hours female soprano vocals with it side by side with a D-01). The high bump is lower than of the TLM 103. If somebody cannot get fantastic vocal recordings with this one (TLM 107) then not the mic is to blame.
Old 19th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think that was the idea behind it.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Oh my. If they didn't have to amortize the cost of THIS, I wonder how much lower the street price would be.

I am front row center in the vanguard of TLM-103 detractors. But I'm there due to considerable experience with them, making voiceover changes in other people's work. Those people almost certainly and unanimously bought the TLM-103 because it not only says "Neumann" on it, it absolutely looks like one.

At the same time, though, it's a mic designed and built to hit a price point. And the way Neumann opted to hit that price point was by cheaping out on the inside, not the outside. And as far as I know, the price point didn't have to factor in the cost of a Major Motion Picture.

With the TLM-107, I'll reserve my judgment until I use one. I think they were wise to change up the exterior design, although Buzz Lightyear is an odd choice. But the sound's the thing, not the look.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
... the title was intended to be "waving a red flag at a bull...l"
Moo.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Wow, looks nice and impressive specs.
Could be a nice neutral/allround companion
for my TLM67......
Well done Neumann !
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
I own three D-01 and know exactly what they're doing and how they sound. The TLM 107, which I had as a prototype for comparison and testing, goes into a similar direction and for the price is a real bargain if somebody wants a neutral and full sounding LDC. It is no cheaper D-01 version of course, but the heritage of the capsule is obvious from the sound (I recorded hours female soprano vocals with it side by side with a D-01). The high bump is lower than of the TLM 103. If somebody cannot get fantastic vocal recordings with this one (TLM 107) then not the mic is to blame.
How would you compare the 107 to the 102 .?

Thank you
Old 19th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
How would you compare the 107 to the 102 .?

Thank you
I never had or used one and can't say anything about this.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

haha, the product video is amusing. I think it is such a bad choice to make such a video in a movie trailer style, just judging from the way that the VO guy sounds...this is appropriate for a movie, but not for presenting a microphone. It makes the listener doubt each word that is being said imho. This voice would sell you anything.
Apart from that I am very interested in hearing the mic, I think their description is promising where they say they paid close attention to getting the esses right. Let's wait and see how this thing will turn out sound wise.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think they were wise to change up the exterior design, although Buzz Lightyear is an odd choice.
Lol, best description yet. Thanks for the laugh
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
haha, the product video is amusing. I think it is such a bad choice to make such a video in a movie trailer style, just judging from the way that the VO guy sounds...this is appropriate for a movie, but not for presenting a microphone. It makes the listener doubt each word that is being said imho. This voice would sell you anything.
Apart from that I am very interested in hearing the mic, I think their description is promising where they say they paid close attention to getting the esses right. Let's wait and see how this thing will turn out sound wise.
Im hoping the mic on the dudes voice in the trailer wasnt the tlm107... i was listening to it on my laptop and i had difficulty catching some of what he was saying, which shouldnt happen (Im very familiar with its speakers). It was all extreme top end but lacked uppermids... my laptop should be almost all upper mids.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I do not mean the sound of the recording of the voice, I mean the voice and how the guy performs...like presenting a fairy tale.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe the look is meant to attract MG fans...
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
I think that was the idea behind it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Maybe the look is meant to attract MG fans...
All very good points. I am a HUGE fan of the TLM102, which I've made abundantly clear in various threads here, and think the idea of a multi-pattern version is a capital idea.

The fact that it sounds similar to a 102 and not a 103 shows that Neumann are paying attention.

As for the Gefell influence? Yes, I'm sure they're noting how many of us who have tried new Sennheiser Neumanns and Gefell Neumanns side by side, are preferring the Gefells. My biggest wish in the microphone world is to see the Neumann division of Sennheiser sold and merged with Microtech Gefell as the REAL George Neumann Microphone Company. But I digress...

I'm very curious to learn more about this new diaphragm!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search