The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann TLM 107 - a new Neumann mic. for people to hate
Old 29th April 2014
Quote:
Another review here (in German) with several sound clip samples on page 2:

<Neumann TLM 107 Test>

I ordered a pair in black, and just got word that it shipped today.
Definitely more of a neutral warmth, I like it, especially compared to the Mojave. The one I ordered shipped today also.
Old 2nd May 2014
Haven't had a chance to record music with it yet, but here it is with my voice on a little passage:

Sorry about my pronunciation
Attached Files

01 TLM 107 speech.mp3 (1.34 MB, 4429 views)

Old 2nd May 2014
Holy smokin' Neumann-Gefell, Batman!
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Haven't had a chance to record music with it yet, but here it is with my voice on a little passage:

Pretty sure your pronunciation is fantastic on here.

Is this a natural tone (no eq?) thanks
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Here are some files of Bernabe nylon and Santa Cruz OMPW ac. guitar using a pair of 107s > Ocean Pre (Malcom Toft's new Trident 80B module) > ULN8

Cardioid 1 | 2

HyperCard 1

WideCard 1

More of the same using a pair of Warm Audio WA12-500 (API 312 - style) preamps:

Cardioid 1 | 2

HyperCard 1

WideCard 1

Fig. 8 1

Omni 1

In general, I found them to be very nice mics. The low self-noise is breathtaking. I love that you can change patterns without any noise. They are a very neutral, clean mic. I like them better than the 127s, which has the multi-pattern 107 capsule which has more HF lift. I like them better then U89s, as they can sound a little dull without the presence boost of the 107s. The response charts remind me of the U87, but without the distortion and grit (which I really like). For me, they are in the Schoeps vein, neutral but not clinical, but with 5 really good sounding patterns. I think that for acoustic music and classical music, these are amazing mics for the money.
Old 3rd May 2014
Quote:
Is this a natural tone (no eq?) thanks
Right, no EQ, just pressed record. About 3 inches away through pop filter.

Quote:
Here are some files of Bernabe nylon and Santa Cruz OMPW ac. guitar using a pair of 107s > Ocean Pre (Malcom Toft's new Trident 80B module) > ULN8
All sound great! Thanks for this.

First thing I noticed was: These need a shockmount. I was in a room with carpet directly over concrete and walking around still caused the mic to boom.

The top end is ridiculously smooth, M7-ish. I tried it on trumpet and it fared very well, no distortion. It doesn't have that bright, high frequency energy of some Neumann mics that contribute to their classic sound, but I think that makes them a little more versatile.
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Fantastic. I love how smooth the top is without being sibilant.
Old 5th May 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post

Cardioid 1 | 2

HyperCard 1

WideCard 1

Cardioid 1 | 2

HyperCard 1

WideCard 1

Fig. 8 1

Omni 1

In general, I found them to be very nice mics. The low self-noise is breathtaking. I love that you can change patterns without any noise. They are a very neutral, clean mic. I like them better than the 127s, which has the multi-pattern 107 capsule which has more HF lift. I like them better then U89s, as they can sound a little dull without the presence boost of the 107s. The response charts remind me of the U87, but without the distortion and grit (which I really like). For me, they are in the Schoeps vein, neutral but not clinical, but with 5 really good sounding patterns. I think that for acoustic music and classical music, these are amazing mics for the money.
I understood that 107 capsule is totally redesigned.. Anyways, thank you for the samples. Very promising and making the wait even harder. Cheers!
Old 6th May 2014
Here is a little reference for comparison.

Just talking through it again, reading part of a music festival brochure, sorry. This time there is a very popular broadcast microphone, the EV RE27, right next to the 107. I am speaking between them. Hardly a fair comparison, but this is for speech only and I thought it was interesting all the same. (Level matched of course)
Attached Files

RE27.mp3 (490.1 KB, 3399 views)

TLM 107.mp3 (490.1 KB, 3581 views)

Old 7th May 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here is a little reference for comparison.

Just talking through it again, reading part of a music festival brochure, sorry. This time there is a very popular broadcast microphone, the EV RE27, right next to the 107. I am speaking between them. Hardly a fair comparison, but this is for speech only and I thought it was interesting all the same. (Level matched of course)
Thanks Rumleymusic. Nice. I am so used to RE´s harsh-ish sound (yea shoot me freely) that TLM sounds pretty promising for my vocal/acoustic use.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on this as a voiceover mic?
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
Any thoughts on this as a voiceover mic?
From the samples in this thread it sounds fantastic as a VO mic. Waiting to try my sample soon...
Old 15th May 2014
Okay, here is the first live recording I was able to try them on. It was just an amateur community choir concert and this is a solo song from Cabaret, with voice on the TLM107 and a couple DPA 4061's on an awful Hyundai piano, yes, I said Hyundai. Any connection to the car maker? I don't know.

I had a couple of Josephson C617's on the choir as "mains" but turned them down quite a bit on the solo so the voice is really only the 107. No EQ, added some reverb though.
Attached Files

Cabaret.mp3 (6.16 MB, 3478 views)

Old 16th May 2014
Gear Head

Well I’m not very experience with lots of different mics… FYI my current main LDC is an SE5600ii and I’m looking to change up to something that is more forgiving on sibilants, and likewise on that piercing ‘ee’ sound around 2.4k which I also have an issue with (esp when pushed).

As far as the esses go this is encouraging. Likewise on the ‘ee’s but I’m not sure how that would translate to my male voice… The ZenPro Clipalator TLM102 clips exhibit a little too much of this feature for what I’m after.

I’d love to hear it on a more up front vocal sound.

I’m desperate to try the TLM 107 but as far I can tell they are rare as teeth here in the UK… Anyone know anywhere with a demo?

Thanks for the example rumleymusic!
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldmayor View Post
I’m desperate to try the TLM 107 but as far I can tell they are rare as teeth here in the UK… Anyone know anywhere with a demo?
Talk to KMR, Funky-Junk or The Studio Shop.

If no joy there, talk to Sennheiser UK
Old 16th May 2014
Nrt
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post

Cardioid 1 | 2

HyperCard 1

WideCard 1

Cardioid 1 | 2

HyperCard 1

WideCard 1

Fig. 8 1

Omni 1

Thank you for the files. I'm sure this is one of the best current Neumann LD mic.
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
I'm sure this is one of the best current Neumann LD mic.
I wouldn't say that.

I think the TLM 107 is a mic. designed to make a quality LDC at an affordable price.

Something that the TLM 127 was originally planned to do, but failed because it was too expensive and most people who could afford a 127 could also afford a U87 and went for that instead.

The new 107 is selling at the price that the 127 should have sold at.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I wouldn't say that.

I think the TLM 107 is a mic. designed to make a quality LDC at an affordable price.

Something that the TLM 127 was originally planned to do, but failed because it was too expensive and most people who could afford a 127 could also afford a U87 and went for that instead.

The new 107 is selling at the price that the 127 should have sold at.
Why can't it be one of the best mics?
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalk View Post
Why can't it be one of the best mics?
Because when you make a mic. down to a price bracket, you make compromises.

Neumann make a lot more mics where quality comes first, rather than price first.

Having said that, I'm not saying the 107 is not good, or is not excellent value for money - just that I would not put it in the "best Neumann" bracket.
Old 17th May 2014
It just might be the best quality-to-dollar ratio in the Neumann line right now. Certainly if you pay a whole lot more, you can get a mic that will sound better for certain applications. It's no M150/149, Solution D or even TLM170, but it does seem to have its pluses in neutrality and versatility. Most of the costs cut seem to be in modern manufacturing techniques such as pressed aluminum body rather than a lathed one, and it uses an OPA opamp instead of completely discrete components, so a direct comparison to a microphone costing $2000-$4000 more is rather difficult.
Old 17th May 2014
Here for the gear

Yeah, what is the best anyway. One wont fit for all, but time shows if this would be the working horse I am looking for.
Old 18th May 2014
Gear Head

Yeah thanks John that's a good shout cheers!
Old 18th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
Im hoping the mic on the dudes voice in the trailer wasnt the tlm107... i was listening to it on my laptop and i had difficulty catching some of what he was saying, which shouldnt happen (Im very familiar with its speakers). It was all extreme top end but lacked uppermids... my laptop should be almost all upper mids.
Just look at the frequency plot: a 6 db spike in the high end! I don't care what name is stuck on it, I'll stay away.
Old 18th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Just look at the frequency plot: a 6 db spike in the high end! I don't care what name is stuck on it, I'll stay away.
You may not be looking carefully enough at the diagrams. In cardioid, there's only a 3db peak. in hypercardiod it is only about a 1.5db peak. In figure of 8, the microphone is flat.

The added 6db peak is only in omni mode and is quite useful actually, as it gives detail to the sound source happening from one particular direction without the microphone becoming directional.
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Just listening to the examples posted here and it sounds great. Reason enough to try it without mis-judging it by a freq plot.
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

I actually bought them because I liked the frequency plots: more neutral than the 103/127, and even more neutral than then 87ai, but not as neutral as the 89/170.
Old 19th May 2014
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
It just might be the best quality-to-dollar ratio in the Neumann line right now. Certainly if you pay a whole lot more, you can get a mic that will sound better for certain applications. It's no M150/149, Solution D or even TLM170, but it does seem to have its pluses in neutrality and versatility. (…)
Because I made the comparisons of the TLM107 with (my own) D-01 by recording soprano vocals for Neumann I can second this. I had time before to check the TLM 107 against the D-01 on other sources too. The 107 is a bargain when it is about quality in this price range. But it is surely not in the same league as a D-01. Comparing it to a TLM170 is much fairer IMO and probably I would prefer the TLM107 for many sources here. The capsule, derived from the D-01 capsule design, is very capable and seems responding very good to transients for a LDC.
People shouldn't look to much on frequency plots, although they can tell you something, but also to polar diagrams and listen especially how microphones 'react' to sound from the diffuse field. It is much more important than many people think.
Old 19th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post
I wonder if it will be hated even more because it looks so modern
I have no idea about the sound, does not look so keen though.
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

By the way, Neumann is having a giveaway for one of these. TLM 107 Microphone Information and Giveaway - Sweepstakes!
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared the 107 to the 170?

The 170 is often great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search