how's that as a teaser?

I want the one on the left

Actually, a pair would be better.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What's that a photo of?
A D-01 on the left and a TLM 107 on the right.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
A few years ago, I attended an AES conference in London where John Willett talked about digital microphones. Very informative and not a mention that I can remember about Gefell mics - but lots about Sennheiser, Neumann and others. His posts are informative and he is very knowledgable, as are others like Warren for instance.
For info. you can download the PDF of that AES paper HERE - and a similar, extended, one I gave to the AES UK conference later the same year is HERE.

I had lots of discussions with microphone designers at DPA, Sennheiser, Neumann, Schoeps and Gefell while writing this paper - and strongly suggesting to DPA that their new detachable series was an excellent opportunity for them to introduce an AES42 microphone.

Now - I wonder if Neumann will do an AES42 version of the TLM 107 later ?????
Old 25th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
and strongly suggesting to DPA that their new detachable series was an excellent opportunity for them to introduce an AES42 microphone.
I asked them before the modular series was introduced and they said "no". The problem for some microphone makers is to have the knowledge and man power to develope the digital hardware and apps.
Old 25th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will ask them (again) and if I can tell the answer ...
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
I asked them before the modular series was introduced and they said "no". The problem for some microphone makers is to have the knowledge and man power to develope the digital hardware and apps.
I think the main problem is in the development costs and the relatively small sales.

Though I wish that several manufacturers get together and jointly come up with an AES42 module (maybe Schoeps, DPA and Gefell) as they could all use the same basic AES42 board in their own housings and connect their own capsules.

It's good for all manufactures to get a greater take-up of AES42 and this would benefit them all.

Maybe I should talk to them all a bit more.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For info. you can download the PDF of that AES paper HERE - and a similar, extended, one I gave to the AES UK conference later the same year is HERE.

I had lots of discussions with microphone designers at DPA, Sennheiser, Neumann, Schoeps and Gefell while writing this paper - and strongly suggesting to DPA that their new detachable series was an excellent opportunity for them to introduce an AES42 microphone.

The new modular serie is quite nice - we use about 25 DPA at my day job for classical recording - but we are not equipped for digital microphones. It would be nice. Thank you for the link, John, it's gonna be a pleasure reading that paper.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
nkf knows better of course, but I think it might be a Neumann D01 on what appears to be a nice mounting bar, right next to a black TLM 107!
The bar is a Manfrotto 154.
Old 31st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
This thread isn't negative in nature. It is discussing the evolution of their designs and the potential for this mic, plus some interesting facts on the capsule and engineering.
It would be swell if the thread was headed this way, but few if any here actually know much about the new mics, because of how Neumann operates, manufactures and handles repairs. So, with these new mics, people are kind of whizzing' in the wind so to speak.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks like a AKG C3000, hope it doesn't sound the same.
Old 31st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
Looks like a AKG C3000, hope it doesn't sound the same.
The likelihood of that is between nil and naught.

One could think that the 107 is targeted at the latest AKG C414 incarnations.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I know one shouldn't judge a microphone from the way it looks, but since Neumann has made beautiful microphones in the past, I have to say, those chrome plated parts [introduced in TLM 102] - I just wish Neumann wouldn't do that - it looks cheep and cheesy. The TLM 107 may sound good though [just as I understand the TLM 102 does].

::
Mads
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Head

*Bump*

Has anyone actually tried one of these mics yet?
Old 19th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I have to say, those chrome plated parts [introduced in TLM 102] - I just wish Neumann wouldn't do that - it looks cheep and cheesy. The TLM 107 may sound good though [just as I understand the TLM 102 does].
Cheap and cheesy? I think the TLM102 looks very classy and it sounds very good. Since they're following the lead of the 102 with the 107, they're building on a proven platform and will probably have quite the little gem here that will blow the grills off the 103, 193, 127 and maybe even the 170.
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know one shouldn't judge a microphone from the way it looks, but since Neumann has made beautiful microphones in the past, I have to say, those chrome plated parts [introduced in TLM 102] - I just wish Neumann wouldn't do that - it looks cheep and cheesy. The TLM 107 may sound good though [just as I understand the TLM 102 does].

Mads

Quote:
Cheap and cheesy? I think the TLM102 looks very classy and it sounds very good. Since they're following the lead of the 102 with the 107, they're building on a proven platform and will probably have quite the little gem here that will blow the grills off the 103, 193, 127 and maybe even the 170.
I like the chrome cuz it reminds me of the U47.
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

I got a chance to play with one recently. Super clean and natural sounding. Open and smooth top end. Different from other Neumanns. Closer to tlm102 but bigger and better sound. I did not get to track with it but will get another chance soon and post something.
Old 19th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
I got a chance to play with one recently. Super clean and natural sounding. Open and smooth top end. Different from other Neumanns. Closer to tlm102 but bigger and better sound. I did not get to track with it but will get another chance soon and post something.
Fantastic! I'm looking forward to your complete review.
Old 21st November 2013
Quote:
Fantastic! I'm looking forward to your complete review.
Me too...

R.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
how's that as a teaser?
Nice, nice... Would like to place one of my good old Beyer MCD 100 next to this (world's first digital mic), which is an excellent choice for classical sopranos...

Not surprised to see John being accused of covert commercial interest (falsely, IMHO), only that it used to be Sennheiser earlier, now it's MTG. Must have missed something...
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Nice, nice... Would like to place one of my good old Beyer MCD 100 next to this (world's first digital mic), which is an excellent choice for classical sopranos...
I think there was another digital mic. Before the Beyer - I forget what it was, but the Beyer was the first to be recognised widely.

Unfortunately the Beyer was a bit noisy and I'm very sad that Beyer did not move forward into the AES42 standard.

The Neumann D-01 was the first AES42 digital mic.

I really wish that, maybe, DPA, Gefell and Beyer (maybe even with Schoeps) get together to develop an AES42 module that they all could use.

I feel it would be to everyone's benefit if all the major mic. companies had an AES42 mic.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Not to derail the thread, but...

Quote:
I think there was another digital mic. Before the Beyer - I forget what it was, but the Beyer was the first to be recognised widely.
SOS says it was the Beyer: Digital Microphones: A New Approach?

Quote:
Unfortunately the Beyer was a bit noisy and I'm very sad that Beyer did not move forward into the AES42 standard.
Can't say I agree with the first part at all, but with the second, yes....
Old 22nd November 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really wish that, maybe, DPA, Gefell and Beyer (maybe even with Schoeps) get together to develop an AES42 module that they all could use.

I feel it would be to everyone's benefit if all the major mic. companies had an AES42 mic.
I know from Schoeps directly they are working on a new CMD body with AES 42 Mode 2. Finally …
If you have good contact do DPA, maybe you can convince them to develop a AES42 module? What we need then are (portable) recorders with AES 42 Mode and controlling capabilities for the mics and their DSP functions and all this without any analog preamps - there are enough devices out there with build in preamps.

BTW.: examples of the TLM 107 are delayed a bit because one of the relevant persons at Neumann got ill and there are some things to decide between performers (piano and vocalist), Neumann and me as the audio producer which took more time as expected. But it seems we will have original material in 24/96 available for download then.
Old 22nd November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post
I wonder if it will be hated even more because it looks so modern
I'm sorry but it really is an ugly mic.
Old 22nd November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I'm sorry but it really is an ugly mic.
It is not ugly

R.
Old 22nd November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
It is not ugly

R.
I can't even get past how ugly it is. I'm sorry. I'm sure it's a great sounding mic like everything they've done. TLM 103 included.
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Guru

The TLM 107 is being marketed as a tool designed for use in home studio applications, but in that environment, usually less than idea room conditions,
would a TLM 107 be $1000.00 better than a KMS 105?

Also how would it stack up against the Telefunken AK-47 or the AR-51 right
in the same price range?
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:

Mads
Agreed. The mixing of chrome and satin finishes looks godawful. One or the other, please.
Old 27th December 2013
Really looking forward to this!

I use a tlm49 often for VO character work (takes spl range well), and have done work with the 103 (too sibilant on me), and the U87 Ai which is nicely natural sounding but overpriced. I think this 107 might fit me perfectly for commercial work since the bulk of today's radio and TV is "real person". Good Sounding commercial VO mic these days has changed from warm and yummy too, natural reproduction and cuts through. I'm excited to try the 107 to see if it's the non sibilant, natural, open top end, loud n clear mic it claims to be. I don't care if it looks like something from Mars (blue microphones), an understated Gefell, or a look at me I'm here! Mic (Gold Lawson L47), as long as it sounds good I'm in!
Old 27th December 2013

We'll, if it's essentially a multi-pattern tlm102, then it will be a great vo mic.

That said, i found the u87 to be much more 'natural' sounding, and worth the extra money, if you have such a thing as 'extra money.'
Old 27th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourVoiceOver View Post
Good Sounding commercial VO mic these days has changed from warm and yummy too, natural reproduction and cuts through.
I haven't yet worked with a transformerless mic (Neumann or otherwise) that gets the "cuts through" right for VO. To my ear, transformers seem to impart a bit of grit -- subtle harmonic distortion -- that really helps with intelligibility. That said, my fingers are crossed that the 107 will turn out to be the exception.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search