The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neumann TLM 107 - a new Neumann mic. for people to hate
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Well since the beginning of the year, there are more than 80 posts from John including the name Gefell. Each day out of four, John recall us that he is a Gefell agent.
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Well since the beginning of the year, there are more than 80 posts from John including the name Gefell. Each day out of four, John recall us that he is a Gefell agent.
I really like that, actually. He's being honest. We need more of that around here. No hidden agenda, no shilling, just a straight-forward honest businessman clearly laying out his position.

John gets full marks from me.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

At lest he's honest
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't know what your problem is didier?

I only mention Gefell when it is a suitable mic. to consider, I don't hype it up and I don't put down other brands - in fact I have often recommended other brands if that is suitable for what was asked. I know, personally, most of the European microphone designers and we all get on very well.

I am English (with a wee bit of Scottish), not an American, and I am open, honest and helpful - that's all.

And 80 posts mentioning Gefell is pretty small, considering my post count is 7,309 and I must have posted over 1,000 times this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I really like that, actually. He's being honest. We need more of that around here. No hidden agenda, no shilling, just a straight-forward honest businessman clearly laying out his position.

Thanks Ward.

I have almost 30 years experience working with microphone manufacturers (and that was in a technical capacity, not a salesman) and longer than that in practical recording using them. All I do it try and be helpful and share my experience and only mention products I distribute in the UK (which I have only been doing for 18 months) when they are appropriate for consideration (and I don't hype them up, just say something like "add to the listen list" or the like.

Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
No hidden agenda, no shilling...

Me too. There're some lowlifes around here I just wanna slap, but John's cool.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, OCD's a bitch...
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
In case of 'not an American' would suggest that It could be an argument for me to believe that your ceaseless promotion of Gefell, often directed against Neumann and including wrong statements for discrediting the current Neumann company, like for instance Gefell being owned by Neumann family, would be sincere rather than related to your commercial interest, let me answer that I find that insultating for me and my American friends.
This is absolutely NOT TRUE - I have never made any statements against Neumann Berlin who I know very well and have often defended their products when people put down the modern versions. In fact, when I see people complaining about a problem on-line I will often drop them (or other manufacturer) an e-mail so that they are aware of the problem being discussed and can look into it.

The ownership of Gefell was given back to the Neumann family after restitution (see HERE), though I am not sure that they are still involved.

Saying "ceaseless promotion" is a bit strong when the percentage of posts is so few compared with my overall post count and you will likely find that I have actually recommended a Neumann mic. more than I have a Gefell.

Also - I certainly do not over promote and only suggest a mic. is considered if it is appropriate in the context of the thread - and I have often mentioned mics by other manufacturers in the same reply where I mention Gefell.

Mentioning "American" was only in regard to the standard US business ethic which comes over as putting money and profit above everything else.

I don't know what your issues are, but your personal attacks are unjustified and unreasonable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in suggesting a product should be considered if it is appropriate and that is all I have done, nothing more.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Lets count how many times John Willet has mentioned the word 'Gefell' in THIS thread about a 'New Neumann Mic' that has the word 'Hate' in the thread title that HE started. This isn't a coincidence.

It's concerning to me that several threads about Neumanns have turned into similar discussions when he is involved.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Guru View Post
Lets count how many times John Willet has mentioned the word 'Gefell' in THIS thread about a 'New Neumann Mic' that has the word 'Hate' in the thread title that HE started. This isn't a coincidence.

It's concerning to me that several threads about Neumanns have turned into similar discussions when he is involved.
Seriously?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

And your sum contribution to the gearslutz community is what exactly?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

What does one use to grind his axe these days?
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I am English (with a wee bit of Scottish), not an American, and I am open, honest and helpful - that's all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Mentioning "American" was only in regard to the standard US business ethic which comes over as putting money and profit above everything else.
Hi John, I am curious about your statements here (as an American of course).

I was not aware that Europe, yourself or any other entity had the lock on honesty and helpfulness.

Please enlighten me to my evil ways related to nationality.

If you don't mind, a follow up explanation that puts you above me or any other American's morals is appreciated.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

The mic looks cool. Excluding John, some of these posts are saddening.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Talking about the new TLM107 here? I hope I don't need an attorney for posting this little question....
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another interesting point here is that you are able to use the N248
Pretty sure the N248 does not power the TLM107 for any of the patterns other than standard P48 / cardioid. In that sense, the N248 can supply power to any P48 mic -- but not in all 5 patterns like with the 127/170.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Another interesting point here is that you are able to use the N248, the remote control power supply/polar pattern switching device that was released for the TLM170R (and is also compatible with the TLM127).

That's pretty clever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
Pretty sure the N248 does not power the TLM107 for any of the patterns other than standard P48 / cardioid. In that sense, the N248 can supply power to any P48 mic -- but not in all 5 patterns like with the 127/170.
If that's the case, why are they advertising it as an accessory for the TLM107? The other units it works with are also TLM series and likely have similar electronic designs. (I am unfamiliar with the 107's electronic design)

If it isn't fully functional, this would be somewhat misleading on Sennheiser-Neumann's part.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

Sometimes Gearslutz does degenerate into hate messages and personal attacks.

So - let's get this straight.

I started this thread as the TLM 107 does look a very interesting mic. that should be taken seriously and my choice of title was to promote discussion as so many people seem to automatically hate any Neumann that is not a U47 or early U87 or KM84.

I certainly am *not* anti-Neumann as I worked with them for many years and have several Neumann mics in my own kit.

If you check all my posts you will probably see that I have said positive things about Neumann more than I have Gefell.

My comment about "American" is that so many Americans seem to presume that people have an agenda or are only here to promote such and such - that is definitely not me and I wanted to make it clear - it was not intended to be a slur.

Plus, anything I have an involvement with, I tend to hold back and just suggest suggest it be considered without making any claims - I am not one of those who puts down a product as bad just because it is not suitable for what they are doing, or praises a mediocre product to the heights because they do not have any experience of the top end.

So - please - forget all this off-topic stuff and talk about the 107 that actually looks like it is a good, versatile mic. at an affordable price.

And - the TLM 170 used a phantom voltage that would change the pattern by increasing or decreasing the voltage in 1.5V steps - so it would be very interesting if the 107 also does this.

Now - please let me get back to my good German Beer while I am travelling in Germany and not use too much expensive roaming data on this.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
If that's the case, why are they advertising it as an accessory for the TLM107?
They also list it as an accessory for the U89, but all it does is supply P48 to the mic, not a remote pattern selector like with the 127/170.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

John, I've always found your posts to be fair. You suggest some of the products that you represent, but only where it makes sense, and you give full disclosure about your involvement. And you have a lot of experience, I always look forward to your input.

This thread itself was started by you, to introduce a product that you don't even represent. Your title is clever, because many slutz automatically put down any Neumann products created after the 1950's. If some slutz take your title as an attempt to bash Neumann, then those slutz don't understand irony, sarcasm, or humour. I just wanted you to know that many of us appreciate your input.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
John, I've always found your posts to be fair. You suggest some of the products that you represent, but only where it makes sense, and you give full disclosure about your involvement. And you have a lot of experience, I always look forward to your input.

This thread itself was started by you, to introduce a product that you don't even represent. Your title is clever, because many slutz automatically put down any Neumann products created after the 1950's. If some slutz take your title as an attempt to bash Neumann, then those slutz don't understand irony, sarcasm, or humour. I just wanted you to know that many of us appreciate your input.
Thanks Les
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

A few years ago, I attended an AES conference in London where John Willett talked about digital microphones. Very informative and not a mention that I can remember about Gefell mics - but lots about Sennheiser, Neumann and others. His posts are informative and he is very knowledgable, as are others like Warren for instance.

What a shame to divert the thread about a new interesting and affordable microphone and make it about a good contributor's so called (non existant) hidden agenda.

But back to the topic : I'm impatient to test this microphone. I wonder how it sounds on classical singers, double bass, orchestras etc. Seems neutral enough from the technical specs.
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
They also list it as an accessory for the U89, but all it does is supply P48 to the mic, not a remote pattern selector like with the 127/170.
No kidding? Wow. That is kind of misleading.
Old 25th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
I wonder how it sounds on classical singers
Maybe you wait until next week …
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
Maybe you wait until next week …
nice
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
But back to the topic : I'm impatient to test this microphone. I wonder how it sounds on classical singers, double bass, orchestras etc. Seems neutral enough from the technical specs.
Me too!
Old 25th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
nice
how's that as a teaser?

Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

What's that a photo of?
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What's that a photo of?
nkf knows better of course, but I think it might be a Neumann D01 on what appears to be a nice mounting bar, right next to a black TLM 107!
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
... right next to a black TLM 107!
Ah. The Stealth version. Being tested at the Neumann Skünkwerks, no doubt.
Old 25th October 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
nkf knows better of course, but I think it might be a Neumann D01 on what appears to be a nice mounting bar, right next to a black TLM 107!
Yes, a Neumann D-01 and behind visible a full functional TLM107 prototype (no serial no.). Mounting bar is Manfrotto stuff with Rycote USMs. Stand is a bigger K&M with counterweight.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search