The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Connecting Audio Accessories Patchbay to Mixer/Outboard correctly
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Connecting Audio Accessories Patchbay to Mixer/Outboard correctly

I have a mixer and some outboard gear I've connected up to an Audio Accessories minishorti quick switch DB25 patchbay.

I am new to patchbays, hoping someone could help me here and verify if I've patched up correctly?

Top Row # 1, 1-8 = Mixer Main Outputs 1-4 into slots 1-4, Aux Outs 1-4 into 5-9
Bottom Row #1, 1-8 = AD converter inputs 1-8

Top Row #2, 9-16 = Comps/Effects Outputs
Bottom Row #2, 9-16 = Comps/Effects input

Top Row #3, 17-24 = Insert Send (channels 1-8) from mixer
Bottom Row #3, 17-24 = Insert R from mixer

etc.

Is this set up correctly? Would I keep these all at Half Normalled or Fully Normalled?

I'm wondering if I did #2 correctly, with the effects/comps, as the Out's are right above the In's, would this create a feedback loop?

Reading this article, Setting up a Patchbay in your Home Studio by TweakHeadz lab
They mention a thru mode, which from what I understand is the way to go for Comps/Effects and avoid any feedback, but I don't seem to find that option on the AA Patchbay.

They have Non-Normalled, Half-Normalled and Full-Normalled
Audio Accessories

Appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks!
Old 18th October 2013
It's not the way I would recommend setting it up. If you have a unit's outputs over it's inputs, how are you ever going to be able to use normalling?

Unless you always want to use patch cables and forget about normals (which in that case you would set everything to non-normal), you need to figure out your signal chains (i.e. insert output from board into eq input, eq output into compressor input, compressor output into insert return).

You need to think of a patchbay in the same way you think of directly connecting cables to the gear.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Daisy chaining everything would be great if I had a lot of gear and chains, but for my current setup, I have so few effects (3 comps and 1 reverb unit) that I am just patching in each one direct to a single source at a time, rather than patching multiple pres/comps/eqs together.

So yes for the moment I would want to just patch the pieces in without having them normalled to anything (since about half the time I don't use them at all).

I will keep playing with it and see how it works out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search