The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES-NYC: Slate Pro Audio SIREN D3 Studio Monitors
Old 18th October 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

AES-NYC: Slate Pro Audio SIREN D3

I've been on a quest to make the ultimate monitoring system for three years now. My goal was to make the most uncompromising solution for professional audio that could serve as a defining reference for any audio material.

Working with renowned designer Pierre Thomas, we first revealed the prototype of the SIREN D3 all the way back in 2011 at NAMM. It was a 3 way tower speaker with dual 10" woofers in a DSP time aligned closed box. This system sounded very good, and I was very pleased. But there were several issues that prevented me from bringing it to market. Without going into detail.. it just wasn't the speaker that deserved the Slate brand.

Since then, Pierre and I have worked tirelessly on trying to improve the design. There have been many prototypes since that NAMM show version, and each one provided us a step in the right direction.

And at AES NYC, I'm extremely proud to tell you that the journey is over. It's my not so humble opinion that the SIREN D3 Monitor system is one of the best speaker systems that I've heard at any price. It is clear, articulate, deep, has perfect imagining, huge soundstage, large sweet spot, and an absolutely massive sounding but focused low end.

So here's the deal on the D3.. it's a MODULAR system (if you've seen my Slate Digital announcement you'll know that I like the whole modular thing!). It starts with a DSP aligned two way box with tweeter and mid driver. Then there is a powered subwoofer box that can be stacked vertically OR horizontally making a three way system. This pair alone will provide a medium sized studio with intense lows that will be quite surprising. But for bigger studios, a stunning MAIN sound can be had by adding the third subwoofer box, and again, this can be stacked vertically or horizontally.

For each system, dual or triple, there is a preset to time align the entire 3 way for the perfect sound reproduction. There is also a software application to optimize the frequency response to best suit your room, or your taste.

Talking or writing about the sound of speakers is not an ideal way to get a sense of what they are capable of, so I urge any AES visitors to come to our booth at 3239, where you can experience these speakers with your own ears. They sound incredible, even on the tradeshow floor.

Pricing for the entire 3 box pair is going to be somewhere around the 12k range, but this price is just ballpark.

Thanks, and I hope to see many of you at the booth.

*additional note: the photo above is from our AES booth where most people are standing, hence the tweeter/mid box being on the top. In most applications, this box would be in the middle of the stack.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 18th October 2013
Administrator

Someones been busy!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Loving the new design. Look forward to hearing some down under!
Old 18th October 2013
aren't they too high for that setup? From the photo it look like ears would be at top of the sub at best. I wonder if they could work better when mid/high box is at the bottom and sub on top
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
aren't they too high for that setup? From the photo it look like ears would be at top of the sub at best. I wonder if they could work better when mid/high box is at the bottom and sub on top
Setup is for the standing AES crowd, as Slate wrote.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does the name suggest that the speakers make audio material sound too good?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

What is the size of the woofer in the "two way box" ? Is it 6", 8" ?

And what would be the price for a pair of those, without the subs ?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

What's the frequency range for each setup Steven?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Yes, they sound so good they lure you in... to your DEATH!!!!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm going to have my interns tie me to the stripper pole in the studio and plug my ears with moongel during the demo.*

(*I have 0 interns, no stripper pole, and all my moongels are in use on my drumset.)
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Would love to see some specs on these!
Old 19th October 2013

I will have full specs soon. People really seemed to be blown away by these guys.. I'm really thrilled. If you are at AES please come by the booth and I'll give you a demo. The focus and imaging that these speakers have throughout the entire frequency range is really stunning.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Man, wish I was there!

Very excited to hear these Steven!!
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Dear Mr. Steven Slate-please buy and run Avid. They could use your product rollout genius.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Steve, alright....now enquiring minds wanna know

how are the x-overs done? FIR...IIR??
what amps are used? (class-d? brand?) distortion specs?
deviation from minimum phase?
can we see a real world measurement of power response and step response, please.
latency?

cheers Tom
Old 19th October 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

Very interesting. What Steven Slate is doing looks to me like making the dream of building all the tools he needs in the studio, the way he needs them, come true. AND selling them to others and making a business out of fulfilling that dream. Not bad.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Good to see this still coming out , I was wondering what happened . Are you still incorporating the different speaker mode set up ? Like flat , or hi fi set up etc .
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Will these be AAX64 right away or .. ?

Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
Hey Steve, alright....now enquiring minds wanna know

how are the x-overs done? FIR...IIR??
what amps are used? (class-d? brand?) distortion specs?
deviation from minimum phase?
can we see a real world measurement of power response and step response, please.
latency?

cheers Tom
same here.. would be interesting to see how the behave against PSI 25.

Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Anyone heard these puppies at AES? How was that experience? Even though we all know tha trade shows are lousy situations to judge these things..

c'mon, someone?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Yea surely someone must have heard them...
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
same here.. would be interesting to see how the behave against PSI 25.

Or for me, vs the mm27s, knowing them pretty well.
In fact, I'm sure each setup will eventually be rated versus the mm35s, and mm27s, can the full setup possibly be rated against the mm12s?
Hopefully the specs will be shown soon.
Old 21st October 2013

A lot of people did hear them (we weren't shy about turning them up) so hopefully there will be some feedback. We'll have more technical information as well as dealer information coming soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

How much?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I heard the Siren's at AES on sunday. Super impressed with them..sounded great at low, mid and LOUD volumes.. super rad! and i can tell you guys put a lot of time, money and effort into making the best speaker possible.. (even at a super loud AES event with a ton of people around talking loud, etc) Congrats Steven!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
How much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Post
Pricing for the entire 3 box pair is going to be somewhere around the 12k range, but this price is just ballpark.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake 2.0 View Post
I heard the Siren's at AES on sunday. Super impressed with them..sounded great at low, mid and LOUD volumes.. super rad! and i can tell you guys put a lot of time, money and effort into making the best speaker possible.. (even at a super loud AES event with a ton of people around talking loud, etc) Congrats Steven!
What other speakers are you used to? (So we can know your reference point of comparison).
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
What other speakers are you used to? (So we can know your reference point of comparison).

i've used evertyhing from Ns10's , Genelecs, Yamahas, Pro Acs, Focal..

with that said with monitors you need to hear it in person. i liked them.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake 2.0 View Post
i've used evertyhing from Ns10's , Genelecs, Yamahas, Pro Acs, Focal..

with that said with monitors you need to hear it in person. i liked them.
Totally...I was just curious, and I'm glad I asked as all those speakers you listed are pretty mid level (although the Pro Ac's can be great with the right amps). Ns10ms are AMAZING tools, and I'm one of the ones who likes them if used along side some other higher end speakers, but they in no way are high end.

So, that being said, it should be pretty easy for a $12k pair of speakers to mop the floor with the above mentioned brands...

Now if you had said you're used to working on Barefoot MM27 Gen2/MM12's, ATC 50-150's, PMCs, the higher end Genelec 8260s, (really anything in the $10k-$20k range) and the new Slate speakers were still sounding like the best speaker ever, well then I would be EXTREMELY interested.

But like I said, the Slate speakers should be sounding like some of the best speakers ever created when comparing to Focal, Yamaha, NS10's etc...the Slate are pretty much double the price of all of the speakers in those brand's product ranges!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search