The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
When did you decide to upgrade your conversion?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

When did you decide to upgrade your conversion?

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to drop the coin and pick up a used Lynx Aurora 8 to use in place of the converters in my Saffire Pro 40. I'm starting to acquire some nicer outboard gear (CAPI preamps, Presonus ADL-700, etc) and I'm wondering if it would serve me well enough to be a justifiable move. At what point did you finally feel it was worth moving to better conversion?
Old 18th October 2013
When the other input gear, and your D-A and monitoring is good.

If you have some truly great mics and pres, and your D-A and monitoring is good enough for you to truly appreciate everything you're hearing, then you're probably ready to preserve more of that goodness with some truly great A-D. But there is no rule for this stuff. If you have the coin, and the piece is in good condition then it's a win. The Aurora is an excellent converter.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacntspell View Post
I'm trying to figure out whether I want to drop the coin and pick up a used Lynx Aurora 8 to use in place of the converters in my Saffire Pro 40. I'm starting to acquire some nicer outboard gear (CAPI preamps, Presonus ADL-700, etc) and I'm wondering if it would serve me well enough to be a justifiable move. At what point did you finally feel it was worth moving to better conversion?
You upgrade when your ready to. Each situation is different. You should upgrade when:
1.) You can afford it
2.) When you are ready
3.) When you want to
4.) When you outgrown what you have
5.) When you need something better than what you have

CJ
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacntspell View Post
I personally don't think you'll hear a very dramatic difference between the Lynx and Focusrite stuff. Others will disagree. In my experience converters really show up when you start stacking a lot of tracks, which makes it difficult to compare apples to apples.

I own BLA Sparrow MKII reds and an Apogee Symphony and I work on PTHD Blues, Apogee 16x AD/DA and Meitners a lot. I like the BLAs.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I chose to upgrade from RME FF after using a Lynx for part of a project.

I found I worked faster mixing on the D/A side.

On the A/D side I did not notice a huge difference.

Thinking about the Aurora 8, you can't really make a bad choice. Buy it used, and you can easily sell for what you bought it for. The prices on those have been stable for some time now.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks so much for the responses! These have really helped guide my thinking. I was thinking about swinging for both an upgrade to my D/A via a monitor controller like the Dangerous D-Box or a Benchmark DAC as well as getting an A/D upgrade in the form of the Lynx. This has definitely reinforced my plan to do things in that order.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I recently went from just using the Apollo to adding a D-Box for monitoring DA and a Burl B2 ADC for a catch and for tracking. This was after some trusted opinions on how good the D Box DA was and hearing some sound clips of how awesome the Burl was. I am thrilled. Conversion is more important than I had been accounting for.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

My personal situation was that I had good enough mics, good pres, decent monitors and a DIY treated room. It certainly is not high end, but I was using an old 10 year old Presonus Firebox for my interface. I was really, really trying hard to get a decent sounding recording (good enough for me) and mix but it was always smeary. Even though I was recording bone dry it never sounded like it was coming from directly behind the speaker cones, it always sounded like it was coming from way deep within the speaker box, like it was 5 feet away (slight exaggeration). The Firebox was obviously the weak link.

I needed a replacement interface with good ad/da and a monitor section. I went with RME UCX but it was faulty so I returned it and ended up with a Lynx Hilo instead. Glad I did.

I haven't had much chance to retrack/record my last song due to work and school but I did listen to the old version through the Hilo and now it really, really sound bad.

As I do my homework at my workstation computer I've been listening to a few of my cd's too. What an improvement! I listened to Hendrix: Axis Bold As Love for the first time in a long time. I never knew there was so much panning on that album. You could hear every pan and volume decision and you can really hear the reverb characteristics.

Very happy with it! The bad news is now everything else is the weak link!
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I'm a sucker for Axis: Bold As Love, so you're totally speaking my language! Thanks for the input.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Here is my rule on spending limited money on upgrades: always upgrade the weakest link in your audio chain, including room treatment. Eventually, you will eliminate your weaknesses.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
I went from RME Fireface 800 to PrismSound Orpheus 3 years ago. The primary driver was that I found the Fireface to color the signal too much (dark) and also provided a somewhat "sterile" sound. It also created monitoring issues in that whenever I switched over to listening to the song on a different more consumer like DA my mixes didn't translate. The sum of it was causing considerable amounts of frustration, up to the point that I had enough of it. Currently I am very satisfied with the PrismSound Orpheus audio interface, I had tons of issues with it in my previous DAW, but those issues are gone in my new twice as powerful DAW, I think I was pushing my old DAW beyond its limits...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search