The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me decide to buy minimoog D style synth
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Help me decide to buy minimoog D style synth

Hello
I want to buy a synth with similiar sound of old minimoog model D.
I prefer a synth that has the possibility to save presets.

Any suggestion?

thank you
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Moog Music Inc

I guess these guys make you what you're after.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds like the Sub Phatty is what you want.
Or for more money the Voyager.
They have the classic Moog sound with all the modern features.
They wont sound exactly like a Model D though. Nothing else will.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Thank you for the advice, but I listen some demo of the sup phatty and sound really plastic.
For what i heard Studio Electronics SE-1 sound more sweet.

Other suggestions?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Voyager OS (old school) is as close as the modern incarnation of Moog ever got to the original Model D - but it can't save presets, and it's been discontinued anyway, although they do show up on eBay all the time.

The Voyager and Voyager RME (rackmount brain only) are probably what you want - they have three oscillators (like the Model D) and were intended as a modern version of the D. They are still in production and there are tons of used ones all over the place. You can save presets and the touchplate is an awesome feature. They are incredibly well-built and are awesome instruments. I've had one ever since they first came out and it still plays as if it were brand-new, 14 or so years later.

The Slim Phatty has been discontinued, and falls short of the D in terms of architecture.

The new Sub Phatty might be a good choice - it's still missing that third oscillator but it has a couple of nifty new features and can save presets, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I quite like this little guy.

The Studio Electronics pieces are quite nice as well, and those guys really know what's up with a Model D as they used to strip 'em down and rackmount them and later they built their own 1:1 clone in a rack - and the SE-1 is a great synth as well that will not disappoint.

But... the original Model D just has.... something... that the new Moogs and the SE synths don't have. There's a characteristic "thump" to every note that adds an almost kick-drum-like bit of boooof to every note that seems to be missing from all of the modern incarnations. I was talking with Sean Beavan (ex-nin engineer) about this one time, and he mentioned that Jeff Turzo (from God Lives Underwater) who is now building studio outboard gear under the Overstayer brand (good stuff BTW) had discovered when analyzing the Model D circuitry that there was a design flaw (or maybe intentional feature?) that caused this "thump" in the Model D's output amps or something, and Jeff has included this design flaw/feature in one of the Overstayer pieces. I can't remember which piece it was that had this feature (I think it was one of the compressors he makes), but it was specifically intended to try to bring some of that Model D thumpy magic to a piece of outboard. Sean described the thumpy circuit as being part of the Model D's VCA stage, so it makes sense that it would be one of Jeff's compressors that had this included.

So... yeah. The original Model D is ancient, expensive, and might need work if you buy a shaggy one - but it is the only thing that has that... thing. The difference between the D and the modern Moogs can be subtle on some sounds, but is quite noticeable on bass sounds in particular. The good news is that there are lots of them for sale at any moment and everybody knows how to fix them, so out of all the vintage synths you could lust after it's probably one of the safest buys out there.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

thank you charlieclouser
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search