The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal Effects Pedals (for small live shows)
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Vocal Effects Pedals (for small live shows)

I need a pedal (or series pedals) to run a Shure Beta-58 mic through for small live shows. The effects I need are reverb, delay (preferably with adjustable tempo), compression (maybe), and distortion. Originally I was planning on buying a trio of TC-Helicon Voicetone pedals, but first I wanted to make sure there wasn't an affordable all-in-one device. Any opinions or recommendations?
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

bump. nothing?
Old 19th October 2013
The problem with daisychaining digital devices is that the latency adds up. If you think you want to run a bunch of digital FX it makes sense to buy something with everything in. I got the TC Helicon Voicelive 2 boxes and the rack version too.

Having said that - it depends if you want to use harmony. And if you want to use harmony it works much better with some pitch correction. In my opinion TC owns good harmony, but if you are 100% convinced you will never use it, I would choose other stuff because the other FX are fairly sterile.

A POD HD has a mic input and a huge range of FX with gobs of character. But the harmony stuff is not the best - possibly useful for simple stuff. The great thing about the POD HD stuff is that you can create chains of FX in any order. You have a big range of reverbs, delays (with tap tempo, midi sync etc), compression types. The best range of distortion ever - choice amps and cabs and mics and stompbox, plenty of EQ options and wild stuff like flangers and rotary speakers. If you don't need harmony, this is a fantastic FX box regardless of how cheap they are.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks Kiwi, I hadn't really though about using guitar effects for vocals.

I know it's obvious and gimmicky, but is the Boss VE-20 really as good as people say? Can I make a chain of effects with it and save presets?
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Not to mention that a harmonizer IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE for poor vocal quality! Perhaps you might "invest" in some vocal coaching to strengthen your voice and technique? That would be something that would NEVER BREAK DOWN OR MALFUNCTION, something you could use for the rest of your life!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

he's talking harmonizers, dude. But maybe you can sing more than one note at a time.

Strange 1st post.
Old 19th October 2013
Yeah very strange post, and probably aimed at me since the OP never mentioned harmonizing.

I never suggested that a harmonizer is a substitute for good vocal ability. Actually, it takes a lot more skill to use one properly. Same goes for hard tuning FX - you have to sing very accurately to avoid wrong notes and glitches.

The world is full of "good" singers - it doesn't mean much these days. Just watch any of the Idol or X Factor shows.

Most of my favorite music has excellent singers who also exploit excellent sound processing, including self harmony.

Nobody wants to hear Bohemian Rhapsody performed as a solo. With a decent vocal processor you can perform it live with 8 part harmony, should you wish to. Very few vocalists have the skills to do that.

For a long time guitarists have been expected to turn up to gigs with plenty of gear and FX for all the songs. Vocalists seem to think they don't even need to bring their own mic. It's about time they started bringing their own gear and making themselves sound better.
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

I stated this in a previous post, but does anyone have an opinion on the Boss VE-20? It's cheaper than everything else and it seems to do what ill need.
Old 21st October 2013
I think the Boss VE20 is a fun box, quite limited compared to the TC Voicelive stuff, but sometimes simple and less choice is a good thing.
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Does it allow the user to create chains of multiple effects?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search