The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Advice for monitors to add to ns10s
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Advice for monitors to add to ns10s

Hi everyone, I'd like some advice.. I want to spend a little for my studio more or less 1000 so here's my dilemma...
I already have a pair of ns10m pros that I absolutely love and got used to, but they run with the crappiest amp out there the Alesis RA-100, My main complaint about this amp compared to other ones I tried is that frequency responce changes drastically at lower volume (it has a sort of step that's very audible) apart from general muddiness.
So what should I do? I'd like to get a better amp for the Yamahas, but I'd also like to integrate some other monitors.
I would do most of my balancing on the ns10s, so I'd need something with some decent low freq responce to compensate I guess... any suggestions?
Old 18th October 2013
-----Here's a grain of salt-----
I honestly don't know why people keep asking this question over and again. This little forum dance always goes the same way. A person asks an open ended question that leads to the inevitable game of name-drop-a-cool-thing. But in the end it's all just leading to the same truth: You are the only one that can say what you need. You have just as much access to every review and advertisement for speakers that everyone else does. You already know you need to decide this for yourself and that all of the "advice" is just talk.

Sure some folks around here have some cool stuff. Some folks are professionals with some cool stuff. Some of their stuff might be what you're looking for. But really with the monitoring thing it's all up to you.-----end of salt grain-----

On the "affordable" side of things I like the KRK vxt series. I think they give plenty clarity, stereo separation, natural sonic presentation and useful detail without what I consider a harsh or unpleasant sound. Everyone doesn't like them. But frankly I don't care. I've used many expensive, "good" speaker systems for the purpose of critical listening. Few are worth the money. One of the few is the vxt series IMO. Take that for whatever you will.

On the "expensive" side of things I like the Barefoot speakers. They have great headroom, very realistic bass that you can feel, excellent stereo presentation and forensic detail. They are not for the faint of wallet though.

There are about a hundred other brands that get things done. But it's a subjective world of opinions and conflicting needs. Tread wisely. Use your own judgment through auditioning. Go from there.
Old 18th October 2013
Maybe the Yamaha HS range would be inappropriate as they are also Mid forward speakers and you could benefit more if you chose a different brand IMO, but there is no harm in trying out the HS8's

One speaker that has an excelent Low Freq Response is the Eve SC208 but that is bit over budget.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Considering the budget, I'd personally recommend any of the following.

KRK VXT8
Adam A7X
Event 2030

The KRK's can get pretty loud and low, where the Adams tend to be more flat, but have a better stereo image.
The event is the most honest monitor of the 3 in my opinion.
It comes down to personal preference in the end though :-)
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

With 1000 euros (I presume) you could probably upgrade your amp and add a sub.

Might be worth considering since you know the NS10's so well, and you could switch the sub in and out as you needed it to check the low end.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMorg View Post
With 1000 euros (I presume) you could probably upgrade your amp and add a sub.

Might be worth considering since you know the NS10's so well, and you could switch the sub in and out as you needed it to check the low end.
Thanks everyone for the inputs, I am researching by myself looking at reviews etc, but I always hope that here on GS somebody brings out the black pearl nobody knew about XD.
Anyways I thought about the sub for the ns10s, but I'm not convinced, I'd rather get a totally different system for a punch in the face effect when A/Bing

Looking at the VXTs, why are the 6s more expensive then the 8s?
They look resonably priced, in the same range I could get Focal CSM65 or BM6s, how do these compare to the vxt 6?
If I had the money I would buy all of them and then sell/return all but 1 pair...
Old 18th October 2013
I haven't seen the 6 more expensive than the 8. But then again I haven't checked recently.

As far as the comparison to the Focal stuff goes, it's not an easy question to get honest answers on this forum. This forum has been strongly biased towards Focal (and is now biased towards Neumann), no matter what anyone who actually uses other things in real world critical listening situations may claim. In my opinion the vxt and cms series are somewhat similar in their presentation, with the Focals having more power from their amps. But when you're listening to material in a nearfield position, with calibrated levels the KRKs perform very well. Ultimately it will be a matter of preference. I feel that for the money the KRKs win. Also, the KRKs are remarkably non-boxy sounding, which goes a long way towards giving a natural sound. That's something that many people underestimate the utility of.

The Dynaudios are another great little speaker. I've used them and I have no complaint at their performance. I honestly would rank the whole bunch (the KRK vxt, Focal cms, Dynaudio bm) as similarly detailed and useful. There are differences, but I could work with any of them in the same capacity and be satisfied.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronte23 View Post
Thanks everyone for the inputs, I am researching by myself looking at reviews etc, but I always hope that here on GS somebody brings out the black pearl nobody knew about XD.
Anyways I thought about the sub for the ns10s, but I'm not convinced, I'd rather get a totally different system for a punch in the face effect when A/Bing

Looking at the VXTs, why are the 6s more expensive then the 8s?
They look resonably priced, in the same range I could get Focal CSM65 or BM6s, how do these compare to the vxt 6?
If I had the money I would buy all of them and then sell/return all but 1 pair...
The 6's are normally cheaper than the 8's, maybe it's a pricing error or something.

I A/Bed the CMS65 and the VXT 8's and the VXT's sounded better all around personally. Compared to each other in the room that I demoed them, the CMS sounded thin and had a very prominent mid range (think old computer speakers, but much higher quality obviously) where as the KRKs sounded bigger, more in your face and more pleasant to listen to.

Don't interpret that as me saying the KRKs are flattering however, because I've found them to have great depth of detail and good stereo imaging.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search