The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Loud headphones that hold the sound completely in?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Loud headphones that hold the sound completely in?

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for very loud headphones (I know one should not listen to music loudly) that keep the sound completely inside the headphone. So when I am recording vocals you don't hear any of the music in the headphones playing. I know I can use a gate after the fact but want to find some really good headphones first.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Extreme Isolation Headphones |

I use the EX-29 series. Comfortable, portable, flat frequency response, 20Hz-20Khz. I use them for mixing sometimes too just for reference. The flat frequency response makes them OK for that.

I'm a drummer and I bought these mainly to play along to tracks. Usually I'd have to turn the tracks up so loud that it could possibly damage my hearing. With these headphones, they cut out so much of the drums I'm bashing on RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME that I don't have to turn the track up so much. I love these things and would swear by them.

Watch this video around the 3:40 mark to see how well the isolation works:

Extreme Isolation EX-29 Isolating Headphones Overview - Sweetwater Sound - YouTube
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks... they look great!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcx08 View Post
Extreme Isolation Headphones |

I use the EX-29 series. Comfortable, portable, flat frequency response, 20Hz-20Khz. I use them for mixing sometimes too just for reference. The flat frequency response makes them OK for that.

I'm a drummer and I bought these mainly to play along to tracks. Usually I'd have to turn the tracks up so loud that it could possibly damage my hearing. With these headphones, they cut out so much of the drums I'm bashing on RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME that I don't have to turn the track up so much. I love these things and would swear by them.

Watch this video around the 3:40 mark to see how well the isolation works:

Extreme Isolation EX-29 Isolating Headphones Overview - Sweetwater Sound - YouTube
I use these too and agree they really keep the click out of the overheads, really keep the live drums out of your ears. Quite powerful isolation.

I would never mix on them, however and I have to strongly disagree on the the "comfort" part. They really squeeze my head. I need to take frequent Circulation Breaks to allow the blood to return to my brain!

the Sennheisser HD 280's are what I usually use for singers - the isolation is not as "Extreme", but they are better-sounding and way more comfortable for long periods.
Old 18th October 2013
SRS
Lives for gear

I'd get in-ear monitors. I have used Ultimate Ears UE-11 Pros for years and they can get as loud as you wish and never will you ever hear anything from them leaking into a mic. And the isolation (as they are custom fit) is most excellent. There are several good manufacturers of them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search