The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Male Vocals (mid-range) - Blue Blueberry or?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Male Vocals (mid-range) - Blue Blueberry or?

I'm rounding out my vocal chain and I need a mic for my voice. I've got a singing style that is similar to Gary Allan, but my voice is a little thicker and I've always had a hard time finding a mic that doesn't honk the mid-range. I've had success with mics that have a nice sparkly top-end to balance things out. I do country/blues/hard rock if that matters.

Live-wise I use a Blue Encore 300, which sounds pretty decent but isn't quite where I want it. (great for live though) The SM57/58s sound like crap on my voice. I've tried some vintage U47s/M49s from a buddy a while back that sound decent with my voice, but not great.

Signal Chain:
Seventh Circle N72/A12 Preamps -> Lucid 88192 Converters -> LynxAES16
(Adam A7X monitors, if that matters)

I'm kind of in a crapshoot as far as local tryouts, and in the meantime my converters/preamps should be here in a week. I have a Baby Bottle, but that is too dark. I listened to a lot of microphone clips and the Blueberry sounds promising.

I'd like to keep it under $1500 and DIY projects are cool too (I'm on a DIY tear right now!).

Note: This is a duplicate to my post in Low End, but I made the post in the wrong forum and flagged it for deletion.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Look into the Lauten Audio Horizon. Has a bit of a smile to it's freq. response, and it's a tube mic so you'll also get some character there as well.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Check out the Avantone CV-12. I've heard a lot of guys tell me they like it for their vocals.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPDiva View Post
Check out the Avantone CV-12. I've heard a lot of guys tell me they like it for their vocals.
I poked around a bit and this one, from comparisons with mics I'm familiar with, seems a bit pronounced in the mid/low mid area. Its not a bad sounding mic at all from what I'm hearing, sample wise, but I don't think it will fit quite right. My voice is a little atypical, and mic choice has always been a pain.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Savoy View Post
I poked around a bit and this one, from comparisons with mics I'm familiar with, seems a bit pronounced in the mid/low mid area. Its not a bad sounding mic at all from what I'm hearing, sample wise, but I don't think it will fit quite right. My voice is a little atypical, and mic choice has always been a pain.
Fair enough, do you have any samples or anything so we can get a feel for your voice?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmastawoods View Post
Look into the Lauten Audio Horizon. Has a bit of a smile to it's freq. response, and it's a tube mic so you'll also get some character there as well.
Sounds like it has a nice high end to it. I've found a few examples in shootouts/clips, but not as many as I'd like to get a solid impression. Any suggestions for audio I can try to digest?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Fair enough, do you have any samples or anything so we can get a feel for your voice?
Not right now. I'm still waiting for my converters/pre's to get here. I can cook something simple up a week or so. I was thinking I'd get a list of options to try and order my choices to A/B them. I figured that would be my best bet. I've taken a bit of time off from recording (while I was in the Army), so I'm trying to get back in.

EDIT: I know, I'm difficult!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

I've been digging into the Neumann KMS105. Any thoughts? Seems like a solid possibility. Nice little snap and a great top end.

Edit: Ehh... the first few clips sounded fantastic, then some others where the high end was lacking.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not right now. I'm still waiting for my converters/pre's to get here. I can cook something simple up a week or so. I was thinking I'd get a list of options to try and order my choices to A/B them. I figured that would be my best bet. I've taken a bit of time off from recording (while I was in the Army), so I'm trying to get back in.

EDIT: I know, I'm difficult!
Ok add the KSM32 to your list too. Check that one out. BTW have you looked at the SM7B?
Old 17th October 2013
If you want a truly stellar mic in that price range I'd recommend:

Peluso P12
Mojave MA-300

Both have a gorgeous sound, a beautiful hi-end, and neither is "honky" in the mid-range.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Ok add the KSM32 to your list too. Check that one out. BTW have you looked at the SM7B?
Actually, I've seen the SM7B in action with a voice in a similar range and it sounded pretty solid. I usually have better luck with condensers, but I think this would be a solid try.

I've never heard a 32 before. Having a hard time finding a solid male voice sample though.

I was thinking about the ATM450. Any experience with that one?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
If you want a truly stellar mic in that price range I'd recommend:

Peluso P12
Mojave MA-300

Both have a gorgeous sound, a beautiful hi-end, and neither is "honky" in the mid-range.
That Mojave does have a beautiful sound. I can't find anything on that model of Peluso though.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sounds like it has a nice high end to it. I've found a few examples in shootouts/clips, but not as many as I'd like to get a solid impression. Any suggestions for audio I can try to digest?
Recording Drums with Lauten Audio Microphones

There you go. The lead vocal was recorded live with the horizon.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Stellar CM-6 sounds like it's what you want. Change the tube and yer good to go. Save a grand.

The only vocal mic I've used and preferred over it, was a Soundelux U99.

I would sooner spend $400 on the Stellar than $1000+ on a Mojave, which isn't super impressive to my ears.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

You have tried a few Blue mics. How about a Kiwi?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Actually, I've seen the SM7B in action with a voice in a similar range and it sounded pretty solid. I usually have better luck with condensers, but I think this would be a solid try.

I've never heard a 32 before. Having a hard time finding a solid male voice sample though.

I was thinking about the ATM450. Any experience with that one?
Sorry, all the samples of the 32 I have are of female vocals. I can't find the session I had with male vocals. And I haven't heard the ATM450, I don't think a small diaphragm condenser is going to help with your vocals. The AT4050 would be better for that.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've been digging into the Neumann KMS105. Any thoughts? Seems like a solid possibility. Nice little snap and a great top end.

Edit: Ehh... the first few clips sounded fantastic, then some others where the high end was lacking.
The kms105 works wonders on some vocalists. If they have a nasally/distinct voice it can make them sound fantastic. In my experience it's great on anybody that isn't an operatic soprano, but I always end up adding more his/presence in the mix.

The Blue Bluebird (300 bucks, pretty great deal.) works wonders if the singer has more low end and needs to get through the mix better. I usually use a bluebird on my own voice and it never needs major eq. I hardly eq it at all, in fact.

And you've mentioned the sm7b quite a few times, it works, but I'd try it in a store first. It sounds incredible on certain distinct voices, but takes the character out of some voices.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
That Mojave does have a beautiful sound. I can't find anything on that model of Peluso though.
The Peluso P12 is a recreation of the original AKG C12 and has been discussed here on GS at length over the years since it's release. You can also find a detailed description and pics on our website.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The Peluso P12 is a recreation of the original AKG C12 and has been discussed here on GS at length over the years since it's release. You can also find a detailed description and pics on our website.
Right, but I'm looking for audio clips to get a better idea of the character to determine if its something I want to try. On the forums, someone once told me a 5150 had great cleans.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Sorry, all the samples of the 32 I have are of female vocals. I can't find the session I had with male vocals. And I haven't heard the ATM450, I don't think a small diaphragm condenser is going to help with your vocals. The AT4050 would be better for that.
I had a buddy recommend the ATM450. He's gonna lend me that and a 4050 to try out. I'll give the 32 a go.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Xcitement View Post
The kms105 works wonders on some vocalists. If they have a nasally/distinct voice it can make them sound fantastic. In my experience it's great on anybody that isn't an operatic soprano, but I always end up adding more his/presence in the mix.

The Blue Bluebird (300 bucks, pretty great deal.) works wonders if the singer has more low end and needs to get through the mix better. I usually use a bluebird on my own voice and it never needs major eq. I hardly eq it at all, in fact.

And you've mentioned the sm7b quite a few times, it works, but I'd try it in a store first. It sounds incredible on certain distinct voices, but takes the character out of some voices.
Thanks for the tips! I'll give the KMS105 and Bluebird a shot, and I know a guy with a 7b I think I can borrow.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post
You have tried a few Blue mics. How about a Kiwi?
No, I haven't tried a Kiwi before.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Stellar CM-6 sounds like it's what you want. Change the tube and yer good to go. Save a grand.

The only vocal mic I've used and preferred over it, was a Soundelux U99.

I would sooner spend $400 on the Stellar than $1000+ on a Mojave, which isn't super impressive to my ears.
Any sound clips with the tube change?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I haven't tried a Kiwi before.
It is a really good vocal mic with clear, but not harsh, highs. It is FET rather than tube, so slightly less of a hassle from a maintenance standpoint. It is worth a look, among all of the other mics you are considering.

I know you know this, but finding a mic that fits your voice is a lot like buying shoes. You really have to try them on and walk around a bit to make sure they are right for you. Online clips and personal testimonials from other folks can only go so far; they help narrow the choices, but you should make the final choice in person. Booking 2 hours in a well stocked studio to try out lots of mics on my voice turned out to be a very wise choice for me. Maybe that would help you, too.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

At 4040, at 4033 and baby bottle all sound better than my blueberry. The blueberry is very clean and will get the jib done, the mics I've mentioned are half the price of the blueberry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Just realized you said the sm57 and 58 sound like crap on you! I'd seriously go and try the bluebird, then. I sound like a muffled tone deaf walrus through a 58 (in the studio, to me) but the bluebird works wonders. That'd be my best bet, and the price is awesome.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post
It is a really good vocal mic with clear, but not harsh, highs. It is FET rather than tube, so slightly less of a hassle from a maintenance standpoint. It is worth a look, among all of the other mics you are considering.

I know you know this, but finding a mic that fits your voice is a lot like buying shoes. You really have to try them on and walk around a bit to make sure they are right for you. Online clips and personal testimonials from other folks can only go so far; they help narrow the choices, but you should make the final choice in person. Booking 2 hours in a well stocked studio to try out lots of mics on my voice turned out to be a very wise choice for me. Maybe that would help you, too.
Thats really not a bad idea, thanks! I know of a few that have large cabinets.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Xcitement View Post
Just realized you said the sm57 and 58 sound like crap on you! I'd seriously go and try the bluebird, then. I sound like a muffled tone deaf walrus through a 58 (in the studio, to me) but the bluebird works wonders. That'd be my best bet, and the price is awesome.
Yeah, thats pretty much the same thing here. Its such a noticeable difference from mic to mic! I know of a guy with a ton of Blue mics that I'm gonna see if I can work something out to go through them all. I've always had success with them and when I tell people what I need/like, I tend to get referred back to them.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, thats pretty much the same thing here. Its such a noticeable difference from mic to mic! I know of a guy with a ton of Blue mics that I'm gonna see if I can work something out to go through them all. I've always had success with them and when I tell people what I need/like, I tend to get referred back to them.
Did you ever find the right mic that fit your voice?
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Nut

Yeah, I'm curious too. It's interesting to have a voice that just doesn't work with some mics!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search