The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for the SM57 of video recorders -- cheap but solid for music video
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Looking for the SM57 of video recorders -- cheap but solid for music video

Sorry if this is the wrong forum (or heck, the wrong website), but I'm looking for a video camera/recorder for music applications, and I know a lot of y'all do that stuff. The main purpose would be to shoot live performances for music videos -- basic stuff, mostly just for youtubes and the like. The sound quality is of less importance than the image quality, since I will be recording audio separately. But even w/ regard to image quality, I only need something halfway decent and inexpensive. Something on par with an iPhone (but easier to handle and w/ more memory) would prob be sufficient. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Maybe a cheap canon reflex like the 60d or lower (600d?).
Old 17th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbeeth View Post
Something on par with an iPhone (but easier to handle and w/ more memory) would prob be sufficient.
Easier to handle than an iPhone? And more memory than 32 GB? The list will be short, me thinks...

The iPhone is my favorite video camera for stuff that does not need to be top notch in quality. And I have a Lumix DMC-TZ8, Panasonic SDR S-150 and a Canon EOS 60D.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Easier to handle than an iPhone? And more memory than 32 GB? The list will be short, me thinks...

The iPhone is my favorite video camera for stuff that does not need to be top notch in quality. And I have a Lumix DMC-TZ8, Panasonic SDR S-150 and a Canon EOS 60D.
I use my iPhone for a lot of stuff, but the older ones (which I have) have a ~49 min/4 GB limit for video files -- do the newer models extend this? As for ease of handling, though they're small and light, I've always found them a bit tough to aim and hold steady for prolonged periods.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Here is the most important factor: are your venues well lit?

If they are not, then the most important variable on the recorder is the size of the sensor. If you go to B&H you can filter camcorders by sensor size.

I have an HCX900, I think. It was around $1000. Camcorders are really a "get what you pay for" kind of thing. My camcorder works a lot better for video than my DSLR. Even though the SLR has an even bigger sensor, it's just a lot harder to use. The image stabilization is way better on the camcorder, and it does a much (dramatically) better job of figuring out what to focus on.

If you have really good light, then you can get by with a smaller sensor.
Old 17th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

I have an iPhone 4, but I never recorded an hour full of video in one shot.
If you want to shoot hours of contiguous video, a dedicated camcorder might be the better choice.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbeeth View Post
The main purpose would be to shoot live performances for music videos -- basic stuff, mostly just for youtubes and the like.
I bought two Flip Mino's off ebay for $30 each. they were listed as broken, but turns out they just needed a serious battery recharge then to be reset to factory defaults using a hidden little pin hole in the bottom of the tripod mount.

Here are my results:
Two Cow Garage May 2013 - Beat Kitchen - 02 - Folksinger's Heart - YouTube

Some of the later vids from that two cow show have some Nikon SLR footage put in.

Here is another Flip Mino video: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires at Schuba's - 09 - Centreville - YouTube

earlier vids there from me are with the older Flip HD which did not work as well for me.

I am not suggesting that mine is what you want, but just sharing as a reference point.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks, jdier. Yeah, that should be sufficient quality for my purposes. How did you like the handling, though? It looks like the size and shape are pretty close to an iPhone, which I've always found to be a bit too small and light to get a steady capture.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Since audio is separate, the Gopro cameras are amazing. Quality is really high, tonnes of options, and they are really small and not obvious you are filming. Great low light performance. Can handle up to 64gb sd cards. Mount on a tripod,

They aren't cheap but are really versatile. Can control with your iPhone and see live preview on phone screen. I use them lots.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search