The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Profire 2626 am I screwed?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Profire 2626 am I screwed?

I recently sent my M-AUDIO Profire 2626 to Black Lion Audio for a modification. I let UPS pack/ship the product because the last time I shipped something through the UPS store, I got feedback on eBay from a buyer saying it was the best packaged item they have ever received.

Needless to say I didn't purchase insurance on the unit like a fool and one of the POTS was severely BENT. Black Lion Audio sent me photos and told me that they would test the pot but that I needed to open a claim with UPS.

Moral of the story is the POT does not work and since M-AUDIO sold to inMusic they no longer have the old parts to the unit. I have also called authorized dealers and they do not have the unique pot either.

I am looking for any helpful advice in the stressful situation. This is also delaying several projects that I have coming.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

That sucks, sorry.

Buying a used 2626 might be the only way to get the part. You might find one that is otherwise damaged for cheap?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
So - are you telling me that if you don't purchase insurance - they can stomp all over it as much as they want?

Of course not! They broke it - force them to replace it!
Old 17th October 2013
I think you may find, if something has not changed since last i used them some 6 or so years, even with insurance purchased, they can worm out of it all together claiming it wasn't packed good enough or, they pay out less then the cost to get a new unit.

Don't give up the fight, and give them hell anyway, but i wouldn't use them for audio. I sell on ebay frequently and had nothing but issues with them sending and receiving. I refuse to ship with them ever again.
Old 17th October 2013
It helps that you let them package it though, cause they can't blame you for poorly packaging it
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Last I knew UPS automatically covered an item with a minimum $100 of insurance which is better than nothing at all.
UPS: Declared Value

And maybe look at this......
Pack & Ship Guarantee

Someone good at servicing gear like this should be able to find a replacement for the pot. I wouldn't think M-Audio had special pots manufactured for them.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
It would be unlikely that UPS wouldn't be responsible for the damage.

Think about it - if they were legally allowed to damage it - they would be legally be able to do, just to promote the insurance they sell!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstown View Post
I recently sent my M-AUDIO Profire 2626 to Black Lion Audio for a modification. I let UPS pack/ship the product because the last time I shipped something through the UPS store, I got feedback on eBay from a buyer saying it was the best packaged item they have ever received.
Moral of the story is the POT does not work and since M-AUDIO sold to inMusic they no longer have the old parts to the unit. I have also called authorized dealers and they do not have the unique pot either.

I am looking for any helpful advice in the stressful situation. This is also delaying several projects that I have coming.
Ya.... not sure the insurance would have worked with UPS. I made a claim for package damage but gave up after the HUGE amount of red tape.

Lots of pots will work in place. BLA should be able to order one - they are not that expensive. It might not be the exact pot but it will be close enough.

It is not that big of a deal.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstown View Post

Needless to say I didn't purchase insurance on the unit like a fool and one of the POTS was severely BENT. Black Lion Audio sent me photos and told me that they would test the pot but that I needed to open a claim with UPS.

As a proud owner of a BLA Modded 2626, I feel for ya and if that had happened to me, I'd be one livid gearslut!! I hope things work out for ya buddy...and btw, I concur, shouldn't be a damn thing unique about a pot on a mass produced interface, you should be able to find a slew of pots that can not only fit, but probably work better and smoother than the budget stuff they probably used out of China in that thing. Whole different story with the sound once it's modded, however. Again, good luck!!
Old 19th October 2013
When i started using fed ex, my issues like this disappeared, but your mileage may vary.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

dude, it should be a common part. that cheapo pot should oly cost $3-5 at the most thru mouser or someone like that.

but if your cheap, just blast the control with knob removed with a hair drier for 5 minutes and bend it back with needle nose pliers.

that my shortcut for fixing cheap knobs. on disposible interfaces
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Last I knew UPS automatically covered an item with a minimum $100 of insurance which is better than nothing at all.
UPS: Declared Value

And maybe look at this......
Pack & Ship Guarantee

Someone good at servicing gear like this should be able to find a replacement for the pot. I wouldn't think M-Audio had special pots manufactured for them.
Exactly..!!!..They should be liable for at least this ( $100) amount..Which should probably cover your pot replacement ( talking 'bout the pot on your gear...)..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search