The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording raw, bluesy vocals - 'non-pretty'
Old 20th October 2013
Deleted User
get a radial EXtc for your 500 rack and run your vocal thru your tube screamer.. works for me
Old 20th October 2013
EV 666 or RCA 77dx through a UA 610 (not a modern reissue) will get you pretty far regardless of your delivery. Not all the blues singers from the 50s/60s had over the top raw voices but the recordings could easily lean that way. An AEA R84 through a Mercury M72 will get you pretty close for a modern setup. It's not better or worse just a little different, but definitely vibe for miles different than a U47 into a 1073 (which is still a great setup).
Old 30th March 2014
Here for the gear

Try mixing it on Harrison Mixbus its got a great old skool desk sound,tape saturation and compressors built in...

Last edited by inchkii; 30th March 2014 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnytofu View Post
Soundtoys' Decapitator is kinda my go-to effect for blowing stuff up in a musically pleasing fashion.
Agreed, OP you might really like what their stuff does to add some pleasant grit to things I you haven't tried them. (Decapitator and Devil-Loc come to mind for this purpose.)

I really love their sound... subtlety is still key when using it most of the time in my experience.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Damn this is an old thread. Any samples of what happened?

:-)
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear
Pony up for a Zoken DSM-1 (< 3 grand) and there you are.
Old 30th March 2014
imo
Gear Head

So much of that stuff can be done in mixing. As long as the singer is nailing the vibe. Funkier sounding blues and soul vocals, ala 50's and 60's overloaded sounds are really powerful. I am currently working on a soul record where i want a lot of those sounds. I used my 47 into a tube pre with some LA2a going in, but i feel like i was able to get pretty damn close by using plugins to hit that vibe. Decapitator, Level-loc, other saturation plugs can do wonders. What really gave me the vibe was putting some extreme compression(like a level loc) on a plate reverb retunr. It really helps to emulate that sound that you get with less mics on an older recording when the reverb has that crazy psychedelic swell.
I initially tried some of my funkier mics, but liked the way the 47 would take those treatments.
Ian
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search