The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic for Acoustic Guitar
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Mic for Acoustic Guitar

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about either a Miktek C5 or Josephson C42 for recording acoustic guitar. Actually, I'd get a match pair of whichever I go with. Which would be your preference for this application?

Thanks!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict
i have both an the c5 seem warmer the c42 seem to be more suited to pop my opinion c5 my favorite also may be really great capsule upgrade coming for c5 different flavors if you will jmo
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Mojave MA-100
Old 17th October 2013
+1 on anything Mojave, they make great and sometimes underrated gear (it is designed by David Royer after all so that says hi quality). Josephson c42 is also a great mic, lots of air so it depends on the guitar, the preamp, and what you want the end result to be.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

What style of music are you mostly recording?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

You have to be careful on the acoustic guitar thing.
Unless you have a large diaphragm mic that you know well,
You are better off using a small diaphragm mic as a general rule of thumb.

Large diaphragm mic's the I have used effectively are:
Gefell - M930
Lawson FET 251
Gefell umt 800
Josephson 716

Now that being said , The Josephson ES 22 mic's sound nice on acoustic
guitar when I use the John Hardy mic Pre's and sometimes the Pendulum Audio mic pre .

I use the vintage Gefell CMV 582's a lot and they are very nice.

It depends on the guitar , the player and the type of music .
There is no " One size fits all " microphone setup .
The best you can do is to find yourself a 60% of the time setup .
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboy2024 View Post
What style of music are you mostly recording?
I do pop, rock, and some country. It would cool if one mic could work best for all. But I get the feeling the C42 might be best for pop and the C5 might be best for rock and country... that sound about right?

For pres, I'd be using it with either my Vintech x73's or my Pacifica.

Thanks
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post
You have to be careful on the acoustic guitar thing.
Unless you have a large diaphragm mic that you know well,
You are better off using a small diaphragm mic as a general rule of thumb.

Large diaphragm mic's the I have used effectively are:
Gefell - M930
Lawson FET 251
Gefell umt 800
Josephson 716

Now that being said , The Josephson ES 22 mic's sound nice on acoustic
guitar when I use the John Hardy mic Pre's and sometimes the Pendulum Audio mic pre .

I use the vintage Gefell CMV 582's a lot and they are very nice.

It depends on the guitar , the player and the type of music .
There is no " One size fits all " microphone setup .
The best you can do is to find yourself a 60% of the time setup .
I hear ya - my main LDC is a Pearlman and it's very boomy on acoustic - I end up having to eq a lot of low and low mid out. And it doesn't pick up the finer details and sparkle (not to say it isn't a great mic for other things).
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Might be worth doing a shoot out against a stereo pair of Peluso CEMC6. Amazing mics for acoustic guitar, banjo, ukulele, etc... Great price for a seriously impressive SDC.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
Might be worth doing a shoot out against a stereo pair of Peluso CEMC6. Amazing mics for acoustic guitar, banjo, ukulele, etc... Great price for a seriously impressive SDC.
The new Peluso P-84 looks like it might be a good contender too.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcballs View Post
I do pop, rock, and some country. It would cool if one mic could work best for all. But I get the feeling the C42 might be best for pop and the C5 might be best for rock and country... that sound about right?

For pres, I'd be using it with either my Vintech x73's or my Pacifica.

Thanks
I used a C42 for a while .... quite satisfied with the results. I can't imagine getting anything unusable out of it. That said, it is very open on top ... some would call it bright. I don't think it's a bad thing on acoustic especially in the pop world. I ended up buying a pair of Mercenary KM69's which are now my go to SDC on acoustic so I sold the C42 but it's a very nice mic.

Since I'm a player and not an engineer I'll also say this: The player, guitar and PART have way more to do with if something works in the context of a song .... IMHO.

I wouldn't think twice about tracking with a C42 ....

Good luck !
Old 19th October 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The new Peluso P-84 looks like it might be a good contender too.
Ah, maybe we'll now see the CM84 from Dave at AA Mics then too. He said it was pretty much ready to go back in 2011 in a robust exchange between the 2 of us and I haven't seen or heard of it yet. I offered up my mint 84 to use for comparision but never heard back. Dave uses Peluso capsules so maybe he was waiting for them to release there rendition first
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

Yes, I am also looking for a single SDC and have been contemplating the Miktek C5, Neumann km184, and others. Josephson C42s seem to be a bit too pronounced in the high frequencies.

Quick question for C5 owners: How tight is the pickup pattern?

The clips of the C5 sound good, but seem to be picking up quite a bit of the room. I am not always recording in the greatest spaces and I record other people in a variety of environments. Any thoughts? How do they perform when placed close to the source?

Thanks!
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I have been using a pair of km184 as spot mics, but recently I have been taking too much time balancing the mix of the km184's to high end tube mic's for vocal. I'm probably going to start recording the guitars with U67's (and m149's) as my go to microphone if i need to mix it with a acoustic singer. I btw feel that the big trick to moving from 84/184 to the u67 is getting the room acoustics right (i.e. i'm not sure if things matter much on the high end mic's if the room acoustics are bad).
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

Yeah, I have had good results on ac guitar with ldc's in the past. I am sure the 67s will sound great! I wanted try using an ldc and sdc combo or just one sdc to see if I could get a little less boom and spend less time on placement.
Since I cannot always control the recording space much, I may opt for a hyper sdc like the audix scx-1hc.

Sent from my SGH-M919
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I have been using a pair of km184 as spot mics, but recently I have been taking too much time balancing the mix of the km184's to high end tube mic's for vocal. I'm probably going to start recording the guitars with U67's (and m149's) as my go to microphone if i need to mix it with a acoustic singer. I btw feel that the big trick to moving from 84/184 to the u67 is getting the room acoustics right (i.e. i'm not sure if things matter much on the high end mic's if the room acoustics are bad).
+1 for 84/67 combo.
Best results to my ear have been with a vintage KM84 matched pair.. gets a feel that's close to the sound I've heard a million times.. very reassuring and 'right' with a variety of pres.
I have a single Peluso P67 which I often add about 6ft away when I need a little bit more room (omni) or a bit more weight and body (cardioid).. blended with the KM84s at mixdown to fill in any 'gaps' left by the closer 84s.
The angle of the P67 can also bring a lot to the party depending on pattern and I've had good results recently high above guitarist's left (fret) hand pointing down at top of guitar.
The combo work great on most styles.. singer/songwriter..jazz.. folk.. rock.. I'll use a bit more 67 than 84 on classical.
I don't do modern pop so not sure how these mics would do there but anything else and I'm covered
... preamplify to taste.
Old 22nd October 2013
Jb2
Gear Nut

Just got Michael joly sdmp mje -384 so have not had chance put thru its paces. Initial impression is that they give true representation without much color or hype.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

C42 through a tube pre is sweet.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb2 View Post
Just got Michael joly sdmp mje -384 so have not had chance put thru its paces. Initial impression is that they give true representation without much color or hype.
These look interesting. I would love to hear your feedback after you try them out. Maybe even a clip or three?
Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted User
personally i tried (tested, buyed and sold) many acoustic guitars before i found that many mics will translate THAT sound very well. just my two cents (i know too many people demanding the mic should transform their middle class guitar into a first class instrument).
See it from the perspective from a guitar maker
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
personally i tried (tested, buyed and sold) many acoustic guitars before i found that many mics will translate THAT sound very well. just my two cents (i know too many people demanding the mic should transform their middle class guitar into a first class instrument).
See it from the perspective from a guitar maker
I totally agree with this! I run into that thinking all the time when I record other musicians. However, I have a couple of Martins (om-18ge and a d-28 prototype), so I am not trying to take any shortcuts. When my clients hear tracks cut with the Martins, they say, "Oh, just make my guitar sound like that!"

I am just looking for a mic that will translate the sound in a musical and pleasant manner (full but not boomy, detailed but not strident) with as little fussing as possible.

Anyone else have some feedback on using the Miktek C5? As I said, I like the sound I hear in clips, but they seem to pick up a lot of the room.

I will probably test them out at some point. However, if they do pick up quite a bit of the room, I will probably look at hypers or a different cardioid, considering my lack of control over the recording environments.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinrooster View Post
I totally agree with this! I run into that thinking all the time when I record other musicians. However, I have a couple of Martins (om-18ge and a d-28 prototype), so I am not trying to take any shortcuts. When my clients hear tracks cut with the Martins, they say, "Oh, just make my guitar sound like that!"

I will probably test them out at some point. However, if they do pick up quite a bit of the room, I will probably look at hypers or a different cardioid, considering my lack of control over the recording environments.
I don't have as much experience mic'ing a bunch of different guitars, but I have found some guitars really hard to capture the sound, especially in smaller rooms. The easiest guitar I have found to mic is the Eric Clapton D-28, even though it doesn't have the "biggest" sound, it doesn't reflect off the room as much so can handle less then optimal room acoustics, the tonality is still D28 yet seems a more flat spectrum that doesn't need equalization. I think a lot of guitarist prefer the big booming sounding guitars, but those need a really large/nice acoustic space to shine. Realistically guitars are like voices, and there isn't just one mic that works for all the different types of guitars and different play styles.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
I like the good ol Shure SM81 on acoustic guitar...sometimes a pair of them.
Nothing hyped, the SM81's sound natural and balanced...not "crispy" or artificial sounding on the highs.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

That is a good point Patrick. I think getting that full, dreadnaught sound, without the boominess, is very difficult without having a plenty of usable space. So, maybe I just need to get a hypercardioid and do my best in whatever environment I end up getting stuck with.

I also agree about the smaller-bodied guitars. I assume you mean the Eric Clapton 000-28, which is his standard model? My om-18 ge is similar to that guitar and it definitely is more balanced across the spectrum.

Yetti, I have tried and actually like the sm-81 for some things. It does mix very easily, but is also a little bland at times. It might be a nice "tide me over" until I can settle on something else

Has anyone use the Audix scx-1 hc on acoustic guitar? I have not found any clips, only cardioid ones.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Both of the mics you are looking at are in this video.

Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

For rockier stuff I've recently started to appreciate an approach suggested by UBK:
SM57-> dimed API preamp.
Don't worry, it won't distort (unless you point it at the soundhole, bridge or neck/body transition are safer in that regard).
But you may need some padding AFTER the pre.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

I'm a KM184 fan lately, I've only got one but I want a pair, that mic constantly impresses me. The Shure sdc mics (KSM137, KSM141) are a safe but yes slightly bland bet that will work quite well in most instances with little fuss. Very cool mics. The Oktava 12s compare favorably.

I've been having some luck with my C12 clone type mics but they seem a little more hit and miss when I just throw them down. They can be really good though.

My favorite dynamic for "rockier stuff" is probably the MD441, followed by almost any older EV mic, and yes the API style preamp is truly great for this.
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

they make great and sometimes underrated gear
Old 24th October 2013
I want to throw in a vote for the shure KSM's being awesome
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Schoeps..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search