The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DYI cables and cables recylcing
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

DYI cables and cables recylcing

Hello guys, I've read a lot about cabling, good versus cheap, balanced vs unbalanced recently in this forum and this led me to decide to start making my own cables.

Now I have two questions:

1- Can I "recycle" my old unbalanced cable to make them balanced ? Can I simply cut the connectors and replace them with balanced connectors ?

2- Any advice to give to someone starting to make his own cables ? (HowTos, what to buy what to avoid, brand recommendations, etc?)

Thanks for your help,
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

A balanced cable has 3 conductors; an unbalanced cable has 2 conductors. Its not the connector that makes it balanced, its the cable itself and you need the proper connector for the cable you are using.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks, I understand. But is it possible that manufacturer do unbalanced cables with a cable that have 3 conductors, and just not connect them in a balanced way with balanced connectors ?
Old 17th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanDit View Post
Thanks, I understand. But is it possible that manufacturer do unbalanced cables with a cable that have 3 conductors, and just not connect them in a balanced way with balanced connectors ?
Posible but highly unlikely......generally manufacturers use the cheapest material that matches the spec they need and an extra conductor would add extra expense.

Best of luck with making your own cables, it is an excellent way to save money and develop some very useful skills
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search