The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I really think I'm addicted in buying studio stuff...help?!
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Our buddy Unclenny shared a few words of wisdom with me.

Stop buying **** and work on your songs.

I took that advice eventually. :-)
Old 18th October 2013
I have definitely gone through phases of thinking that buying the next piece of gear would be the thing to make me satisfied with my set up. It's bull****. Really, I've almost never bought any gear that did as much for me as this CD of Kris Kristoferson demo-ing his songs with just his own guitar. $13.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

I think its party in our hunter gatherer builder DNA.

That new tool or piece of gear standing between you and success.

The same as making one last trip to Home Depot before you can start your project.

To avoid committing to actually starting what you've been avoiding, always needing one more thing.

That one last item, that one last upgrade will make all the difference.

This affliction is known as G.A.S. Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Until you keep paying the rent, the light and the food...
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

From the words of a Charlie Brown episode:
"Just the fact you admit you have a problem, means you are not too far gone".

My old roommate who is a great pedal steel player used to tell me in the 90s, "Your gear is paid for, you have enough. Just go make some music! Write and record more songs. Don't forget there is a whole industry out there telling you need to get the latest stuff". Then he asked to borrow my Sony DAT recorder for a session and cut up the master tracks on my Digi Session 8 when I wasn't busy.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

I bought everything I purchased with cash in the bank, no credit cards.

Easy credit is a dangerous trap and a favored tool of the hopelessly addicted.

2 months ago I got slammed with a $2400.00 repair bill to replace my septic pump.
If I had not forced myself to put aside money for Murphy's Law, it could have been a lot worse than it was.

Last fall my daughter calls me to tell me she loves me and that she's $1300.00 short on her tuition at college.

If you don't plan ahead for this stuff, the coolest gear in the world won't help you and you won't be able to unload something fast enough to solve the immediate problem.
Old 18th October 2013
Two ways to get cured.

Stay off gearslutz for 6 months.
Sell a piece of gear.

It really does work....and it's that simple.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for al reactions see you in about 6 months
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Develop a really bad drug or gambling habit. Just kidding. I think all musicians always strive for the best sound they can have or whatever. Its never just right. Its this constant pursuit of the perfect sound or recording. Its impossible to achieve. Its not just you.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognarock View Post
Develop a really bad drug or gambling habit. ...
....or get a girl/boyfriend. Either one will bankrupt you.

fb
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
If you get into gear with some logic you'll be just fine.. Just don't let you emotions get in the way... Best approach at saving money and not becoming a Gearoholic..
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
In my experience, buying excessive gear is counter to making music (getting hung up on thinking it's the gear that will make you better productions
I completely agree. I have been on that slippery slope and I have some really talented friends that refuse to release any music until they have better gear to sound better. I am now,finally,really learning to get the most out f my modest setup.

fb
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Somehow this must be the wrong place for me, I'm not into gear at all...in fact the less I have to take care of the better. I want my quality tools and want to use them...if you're interested in used gear PM me as I'm getting rid of a lot.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli View Post
My old roommate who is a great pedal steel player used to tell me in the 90s, "Your gear is paid for, you have enough. Just go make some music! Write and record more songs. Don't forget there is a whole industry out there telling you need to get the latest stuff". Then he asked to borrow my Sony DAT recorder for a session and cut up the master tracks on my Digi Session 8 when I wasn't busy.

thats awesome.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Let me share a truism that I've learned from 30+ years at this. Some things the gear manufacturers know, but aren't likely to tell you. There is a law of diminishing returns on equipment. Really cheap gear can be tough to deal with but the mid priced stuff can be very, very good. Is a $3,000 mic pre three times as good as a modern $1000 pre? No, it's not. Is a vintage $8000 mic eight times as good as a current $1000 mic? Again, it's no. People spend thousands of dollars just trying to squeeze out that last 2 or 3% of quality sound or "color". IMHO, the $3000 pre might be marginally better but if you buy it, you may have just bought an extra $2000 worth of bragging rights and if you have the extra cash lying around good on ya and go for it. If not, then work with what you've got.

One of the best ways to get that great recording we're all looking for, is something most gearslutz may not be able to do anything about. It's the room(s). If I had a choice between recording in a big, acoustically accurate room into mid-level mics and pre's with accurate monitoring or in a tiny, low ceiling, crappy room with the best gear available and bad monitoring, I'd take the former. I know I'd get better results every time hands down. By the way, room treatment in a mediocre or small room can only do so much. It won't get you all the way there.
Comb filtering, mic phase issues you can't hear and bad acoustic mud in the control room ruin more recordings than any any issues with mediocre gear. Unless you're a commercial facility and in the business to impress, don't worry about the name on the gear, it's not worth it.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

The phase of my recording life when I had the most money and the biggest G.A.S., I mostly bought really fun toys--impulse buys, synths, effects, oddball vintage pieces, etc. Over the past two years, in a new place, with a lower annual income, I've concentrated on consolidation (getting one good piece that does the job of three of my lesser pieces, and selling those off), buying a couple of pieces I always knew I wanted/needed (a no-nonsense, no hassle channel strip; a bus compressor), and only buying additional pieces when a new project demands it (e.g., some new microphones, a headphone amp). With an infusion of cash earlier this year, I got really slutty for the first time in ages with some of the most "boring" purchases imaginable: a major upgrade in monitoring, patch bays, additional cabling, and room treatment. I haven't made a "can't wait to plug it in and play with it" purchase in years, and I've never been happier than I am now in my pared down, ergonomic, and more acoustically accurate room.

And I'm slightly annoyed that I could have had all this ages ago, if I had only done a better job of prioritizing my purchases. I know that this is, in a sense, the "politically correct," seemingly self-righteous stance for people to take on this site, but it's generally coming from people, like me, who have arrived at this approach the hard way and wish they had seen the light sooner.
Old 22nd October 2013
i think there's a bit of a process where people need to play with a variety of gear in order to wrap their heads around what all is out there & determine what will work for their setup. hopefully you come out the other side sooner rather than later.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search