The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate VCC on top of Dangerous LT Mix redundant?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Slate VCC on top of Dangerous LT Mix redundant?

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some expert light shed here...I'm using a Dangerous LT summing box, and I like what I get out of it. I'm guessing that that at least part of the effect of the Dangerous is similar to what the Slate VCC plugin is intended to achieve...analogue warmth, separation and such. When I slap the VCC on my saved Dangerous mix, however, there doesn't seem to be any sonic change, at least at mild settings. And when I turn up the Drive on the VCC in order to more easily hear a difference, I just get distortion. Is this because the VCC has no effect since the Dangerous has already done its analog "thing" to the mix and therefore the VCC is not needed, or do I need to clean out my ears? lol I've read stellar reviews on the VCC, saying "night and day difference" and all, but in this case I'm not hearing it. Thoughts?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Try all the console emulations until one sticks out.

I would trying to blend things until a solo'd drum kit swings more / feels more alive...so whichever emulation gives things a bit of that kind of kinetic vibe would be the one I'd start to get deep into first.

No reason not to use them both honestly.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

No they're not doing the same thing, they might be doing the same type of thing, but Slate uses like 5 different consoles, the Dangerous is not modeled after a specific console. And also it makes a big difference whether you just put the VCC on your 2-buss or if you're actually using the VCC on each channel. When I put VCC just on my 2-buss, it's not really like night and day, but when I put it on ALL my channels, that definitely changes things. It's like actually running your mix through a console, whereas when you run things through the Dangerous summing, it's just like running your mix through the master section of the board, not running your mix through the actual channels. I admit, having VCC on every channel is a huge CPU hog, but if you're going to get a huge "night and day difference" that's the way to use it. But it's definitely not the same thing. And you can definitely use them both at the same time.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Awesome, thanks guys, for the quick and informative responses! I'll definitely keep working with them both in those ways you suggested...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search