The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ive 1000 euros to spend, which Mic and Preamp suits my voice? Sample included!
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Ive 1000 euros to spend, which Mic and Preamp suits my voice? Sample included!

I currently have a Apogee Duet and a AKG Solidtube. Im thinking of replacing this with something nicer. I've got around 1000 euros to spend.

I'm thinking of buying the following stuff on the second hand market:
-Replace the Duet with a Duet 2.
-Electro Voice RE-20 (tom york and some other band I like very much uses this mic)
-Warm Sound WA12

-Will that make a 'good' vocal chain for my voice? I'm just an amateur who likes to record stuff at home.

-Do I need a preamp like the Warm Sound if I'd have a Duet 2 already?

Here is a sample of my voice recorded with a AKG Solidtube.

Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Do not let the vocal sample scare you. Im not a great singer to put it mildly. Its just to give a bit of an idea.

Thanks!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

First, the preamps in your Duet are absolutely fine and perfectly capable of making a great recording. There are other elements of your chain that would benefit more from your cash at this stage.

Do you need a preamp?
IMHO, preamps are fancy volume knobs and their impact on the sound is VERY minute. There are subtle differences, but they are not "night and day" boxes.

IMHO, the best thing you can do for a good vocal chain is a good mic and some room treatment. A reflection filter can be good, but I'd invest in some thick duvets and some mic stands to hang them on. (makeshift baffles). They'll do more for your vocal recordings than a preamp ever would!

As for mic, unfortunately this can be a big ol' can of worms, as pairing a mic to a singer is a very subjective thing. Its not about price either. Some singers sound amazing through a $2k U87, others sound better through a $250 SE2200A Mk2.
If you can, I'd try to get down to your local music store, and try out a bunch of mics in store and choose what you thing works best.
If you bring your duet and laptop with you, if you have the cash and let them know that you intend to drop the cash, most shops can be very accommodating.

Another option is to hire a local studio that has a big mic locker with the intention to test out as many as you can. It'll cost you, but its better to spend $200 testing and $200 - $800 on a good mic for your voice (price ranging on your budget and your options), than to spend $500 - $1000 on a mic that doesnt suit your voice.

(I know you mentioned euros, I just cant remember how to type that symbol on my mac keyboarrd at the moment! )
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot man!
I will invest in some room treatment and go to a musicstore to try some mics.

I already had contact with a shop and it is no problem to take my Duet and Macbook with me.

THANKS!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search