The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rosetta 800 price DROP
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict
Rosetta 800 price DROP

I am hoping some of you veterans can give this question a go:

About 3 years ago, I purchased a Rosetta 800 AD/DA for $2600. At the time, we all agreed on here that seemed to be a good price for a top of the line converter. Yes, the lynx Aurora was an option, but after a lot of testing and review, the Rosetta 800 seemed to be the best bet.

Now, to my dismay, I am seeing these baby's sold online for $800 consistently. I know the units have since been discontinued, but my question is,

WHAT IS WITH THE MASSIVE DEPRECIATION! Good pieces of gear (and I truly believe it is a fantastic converter) usually retain value. Hell, my Great River I bought at the time still fluctuates in the same price range!

But no way, not the Rosetta. This thing is more than 1/3 the price it was a few years ago. Can anyone maybe offer me some insight into why/what could prompt the market to turn against these?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Its outdated. That said... I own one. Barely use it anymore since I went analog... And like you said they arent even worth selling at this point.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Digital hardware seems to depreciate quicker than anything else out there. Feel like its always been that way.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Are you sure about the 3 years?

Symphony I/O is about 3 years old... which replaced the AD/DA16X converters which already were a step up from the Rosetta-Design most guys would say.

So even back then it wasn't the top of the pops...

I get your frustration... but I think its pretty normal behavior for an 'relatively' old digital device (I don't know when it was introduced, but I guess it was somewhere 8-10 years ago)
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

I think most of all it has to do with the fact that new, better converters have been released at better prices. where most analog gear is now in the realm of "already perfect, just a matter of taste", especially converters are still going through a lot of change and there is still a lot of room for improvement. and every time the technique improves, a price drop is near.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Simple answer? You over paid for your rosetta. I wouldnt have paid $2600 for one 3 years ago anyway.

Sent from my SGH-I547C
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

What is that computer you purchased 3 years ago worth ?

FWIW, it still sounds as good as the day you bought it !

I always feel better buying analog gear as most of what I've purchased through the years has only appreciated in value .... that being said I'm actually looking for a used 800 to replace my 200 right now because I could use a few more inputs.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Actually, they are going for $1200-1300 now. Rosetta is a great piece of gear.

I doubt many here could easily tell (or at all with certainty) the difference between a Rosetta clocked with a Big Ben and a Symphony. Which shade of awesome do you want?

The differences are becoming slighter and slighter. But many of us want the very best and will pay for that, shedding the older still awesome stuff for new. Enjoy the savings!

Plus, if cheap enough, you can mod the older apogee gear with higher end converters. FUN!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

You just bought it at its EOL period. BURLS will also be comparatively cheap in a few years.

Use it and forget about it.

regards,
Old 16th October 2013
The investment is the product you make not the gear itself. Talk to anyone who purchased a new large-format SSL console about depreciation.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search