The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Strange problem ! Ns10m fault or amp fault ?
Old 15th October 2013
Strange problem ! Ns10m fault or amp fault ?

I bought an NS10M with an amp; ALESIS RA150. But I have already have a Samson Servo 260 amp too that I have never used before...

So I tried two amps on Ns10s and samson sounded better to my ears.

But after a while I realised that right speaker suddenly cuts the sound and if I turn the volume a little up whether from cubase, soundcard or amp.'s volume knobs the signal comes back again...

Than I tried it on Alesis I see that the problem is in my Samson amp...

Than I continued to use it with my Alesis amp but today the same problem came back !!!

Than I thought if I may misjudged my samson ! On that point I remember my 'passive' car audio speakers that I'm not using and hooked them to my Alesis amp but after 3 or 4 minutes same thing happened... One of the speakers cut the sound and came back after pushing the media players volume up...

So I exactly know that the problem is in my BOTH AMPS but is it a coincidence that two amps have the same faulty ? Can my NS10's cause a problem on amps whatever I use with them ? Is it sounding like a paranoia?

I'm really afraid to borrow an amp from my friend and hook it to my ns10's :D

Any commends, any suggestions ???
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

It's not the NS10's and it's not the amps. It's probly a cable problem or the interface that you're connecting the amps to.
Old 15th October 2013
I tried lots of cables and tried it with both Motu and Steinberg interface... Also I have an adam a7x hooked my interface but I never have an issue like this...
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

is it always on the same side?
Old 15th October 2013
No both sides randomly ...
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Wow. I'm running out of thing to troubleshoot. I have no clue. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I'd love to see the reason why this would happen.
Old 15th October 2013
Thanks a lot DSPDiva for quick deal ! As I said this is really annoying no logic that I can handle :S really confused here :(
Old 26th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPDiva View Post
is it always on the same side?
it was my mistake to answer you like both sides, I remember it was on both sides but in Samson its only on the ONE SIDE... when I crank the volume suddenly it wakes up and continue to play, but some time later it FADES OUT again...

I crossmatched the ns10s , I mean hook the right speaker to the left and the vs... and the problem gone to the opposite side.. This means no problem on ns10s the same output channel of the amp is having the issue... (sorry for lack of language...)
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
it was my mistake to answer you like both sides, I remember it was on both sides but in Samson its only on the ONE SIDE... when I crank the volume suddenly it wakes up and continue to play, but some time later it FADES OUT again...

I crossmatched the ns10s , I mean hook the right speaker to the left and the vs... and the problem gone to the opposite side.. This means no problem on ns10s the same output channel of the amp is having the issue... (sorry for lack of language...)
Yeah that really looks like an amp problem. I wouldn't power my NS10 with cheap amps like those. Get a nice amp before they end up messing up the NS10s.
Old 20th December 2017
Ahhhh years later I remembered this thread. HERE IS THE PROBLEM : The relays not doing their job well. Contact cleaner and very thin emery solved the problem
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search