The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hardware sound better until you A/B later on with plug in?
Old 15th October 2013
Hardware sound better until you A/B later on with plug in?

I found when I have a 2 bus and use a hardware compressor over the plug ins I have, it offers something special that the plug in lacks. Later on if I get a unprocessed two bus, and a newer plug in compressor and A/B them....after tweaking the compressor to mimic the hardware as close as possible, I found both to equally sound as good though a tad different. I am not saying this is the case with every situation, and some certain hardware tools just sound the best, period. But with just a 2 bus, I have found this the case many times. I thought when using the hardware, wow what a greet sound. Them I A/B later and try to match the plug with the hardware (you must use the right plug in mind you) that my ed result has been just as good though they don't sound the same.mi experienced this with a Pend ES-8, Avalon 747, Avalon 2055, and Portico compressor to name a few. The DW Fern VT-7 always sounded better by the way. Has anyone else found this experience as well? Generally we are talking about up to -2db on the compressors.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search