The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Replacing light bulb on technics 1210mk2
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Replacing light bulb on technics 1210mk2

I bought a few replacement light bulbs to fix my turntables' pop up light from ebay

link:
Technics SL 1200 1210 MK2 MK3 POP UP Target Stylus Light Lamp SFDN122 01E | eBay

I've taken it apart successfully and have followed a third of the instructions by some good folks on youtube who posted up some tutorials on how to change the bulbs, but unfortunately they only offer tutorials for LED replacements and not the original bulb which I bought.

So I've pretty much got the bulb within the pop up shield and I've got both black wires hanging off, I also remember taking off a resistor which was connected to the old broken bulb, I'm unsure which wire goes where.

I've got a soldering iron so I'm prepared to do anything. I just need to make sure I'm doing it right, I've heard some people have had their turntables spark or melt due to bad installations.

There are few minor differences from the LED but I'm not an expert at these things, I hope somebody has some info on this, I've tried looking everywhere but no cigar.

Thanks, much appreciated
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I found this:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf technics_sl12xx_service_manual.pdf (2.56 MB, 2069 views)
Old 15th October 2013
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
thanks but unfortunately i've already went through those links and they didn't help me as much.

Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

It actually takes 5 technicians to do this.
One to hold the lightbulb and 4 to rotate the device.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Why don't you connect the resistor where it was situated on the old bulb and put the new one in ?
Polarity of the cables don't matter as bulbs are fed with AC.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
Why don't you connect the resistor where it was situated on the old bulb and put the new one in ?
Polarity of the cables don't matter as bulbs are fed with AC.
ill be honest, it was 2/3 days ago when i actually attempted this and i've forgotten where sh*t goes.
another troubling thing is that the two wires that come with the bulb are both black and don't indicate anything
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Because as said before it doesn't matter how you connect the bulb. it's AC = alternating current. it changes direction 50 / 60 times per second.

The youtube video you mentioned is really bad.

The resistor attaches to the lamp switch. Polarity doesn't matter.
If you got a second deck, just go look at that one
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Because as said before it doesn't matter how you connect the bulb. it's AC = alternating current. it changes direction 50 / 60 times per second.

I do have a second deck! Genius!!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Take a picture of the second one and put it here if you could.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
Take a picture of the second one and put it here if you could.

thanks. sorry if the pics couldnt be any more focused, my lens doesn't really take close ups that well.

I'm not sure if i should buy a couple of fresh new resistors but the last resistor i just yanked out because it was soldered in with one of the black wires.

now the resistor is a tad short but it could possibly work, not sure.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknchino View Post

thanks. sorry if the pics couldnt be any more focused, my lens doesn't really take close ups that well.

I'm not sure if i should buy a couple of fresh new resistors but the last resistor i just yanked out because it was soldered in with one of the black wires.

now the resistor is a tad short but it could possibly work, not sure.
If you have a multimeter handy, you can measure the resistance.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

THose are good pics. Is it 1.2M Ohms ???

Also, where did you get the bulb?
Old 19th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

HELP PLEASE!
I was replacing the stylus lamp for the regular technics replacement bulb, just by cutting wires and joining them with the new bulb wires, and accidentally the two cables touched and the turntable went off. It is not turning on since then and I can't find the fuse on it, any help? any advice?
Thanks a lot!?
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

The fuses are located on the power board (smaller pcb) where the power cable is soldered.
Old 1st October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks.mdc View Post
HELP PLEASE!
I was replacing the stylus lamp for the regular technics replacement bulb, just by cutting wires and joining them with the new bulb wires, and accidentally the two cables touched and the turntable went off. It is not turning on since then and I can't find the fuse on it, any help? any advice?
Thanks a lot!?
Repairing electrics without turning off and unplugging

I've got to replace a couple of these. Had heard it's quite difficult, but from the tutorial posted above it seems fairly straightforward.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search