The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pawn shop senn md441
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict
Pawn shop senn md441

Saw a vintage Sennheiser md441 at a pawn shop on Monday for I think it was either $440 or $400. It was in its case looked clean enough with mic clip. I was with a friend and they were in a hurry so did not get a chance to look at it.
If anyone is interested in brisbane southside it was at mt Gravatt cashiers near garden city on Logan road.
Cheers
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

*runs out the door*

thanks for the heads up!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

btw, did anyone else see that set of FIVE 441s for a grand total of $250 that went on gumtree recently? up on the sunshine coast. some lucky bastard in adelaide nabbed them.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

No, damn...

I saw 2 for sale up that way in a little town a while ago ie before I knew what they were. Still kicking myself now, I'll have to go back in time and tell my old self to buy them.

Last edited by SolFlow; 15th October 2013 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Added more
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

As long as none of these are the no filtered type Black Face MD441 Machine production run from the early 1990's I would say....Meh!...$380-400 for a great condition Hand Made Sennheiser MD441 is about right! Having said that....The 5 on Gumtree for $250.00 .....Nice!
Old 15th October 2013
I have 2 in the studio cupboard I don't think I've even fired up yet.

Not that fussed to be honest! certainly wouldn't pay $400 for one. Admittedly I do have 4 421s, 2 201s, an RE20 and an SM7...I think I'd use all of those 1st.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post

Not that fussed to be honest! certainly wouldn't pay $400 for one. Admittedly I do have 4 421s, 2 201s, an RE20 and an SM7...I think I'd use all of those 1st.
I have them all...and all have differing uses dependant on what your trying to capture, though a 441 would be the last Dynamic I'd think of discounting, as their difference can be heard on Kick, Cab, Vocals, V/O's and Re-amps they have a certain contained though directional big flavour. Those 441's are a great Super cardiod Microphone! If your not fussed I'll take both for $400 bucks...I'd get into that old Studio cupboard! You might find them a touch "Meh" though as always YMMV and usually does!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Glad to hear that somebody else feels the same way I do about the 441! Since mine came from e-bay I suspected it might not be up to spec and I sent it to a mic tech at some point just to hear that it works flawlessy.

The only time I was impressed by the 441 so far was with a blues harp blasting through a Music Man amp. The 441 captured a very full sound without shrillness but still enough cut.

But on vocals and acoustic guitar especially I never was impressed. And am I the only one annoyed at the multiple boost/cut options on the 441? Of course you can leave it flat but I always feel a bit unsure if it's set right, especially as my results with this mic were never impressive. I also feel that the physical shape of the mic is impractical though that wouldn't matter so much if I'd like the sound.

I think that the 441 is more polite and tame than the 421, SM 57/58 or SM7b but also much less 3D or plain silky-beautiful than a KM 84 or Beyer M160 so for me it occupies some strange middle ground.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why, oh why??

One of the best microphones ever. Give them a chance!

BTW, 400~$ is about THE price for a 2nd hand 441 in good working condition.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I've seen a 441 used with a Royer for reamping guitar on a large cab. Sounded good. I think I would like a pair - I'm sure I could find something for them to do.

Rohan
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
I have them all...and all have differing uses dependant on what your trying to capture, though a 441 would be the last Dynamic I'd think of discounting, as their difference can be heard on Kick, Cab, Vocals, V/O's and Re-amps they have a certain contained though directional big flavour. Those 441's are a great Super cardiod Microphone! If your not fussed I'll take both for $400 bucks...I'd get into that old Studio cupboard!
Not mine to sell...to be honest, I'd probably keep them anyway..just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
Why, oh why??

One of the best microphones ever. Give them a chance!
Too many other good options - as I said, Royers, Coles, KM84s, 67s, TLM170s, RE20, SM7, D12, vintage 87, M149s, Beyer 201s, 421s....plus a few other "standards" like 414s, 57s, and a new fave, the Microtech Gefell M930s.

It's not that I have a problem with them, I just don't see a need when everything else sounds so good!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

90% of the time a 441 is the hands-down best mic for the job on bottom snare out of that list.
IMO/YMMV and all that.
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.beck View Post
90% of the time a 441 is the hands-down best mic for the job on bottom snare out of that list.
IMO/YMMV and all that.
Maybe I'll give it a go at the weekend then!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Too many other good options - as I said, Royers, Coles, KM84s, 67s, TLM170s, RE20, SM7, D12, vintage 87, M149s, Beyer 201s, 421s....plus a few other "standards" like 414s, 57s, and a new fave, the Microtech Gefell M930s.
Great mics indeed. I see no din-supercard there though! 201 is a total different animal (and hiper-card afaik), although great on it's own right.

Yeah, I'm just a 441 freak...

Enjoy your music!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.beck View Post
IMO/YMMV and all that.
And 99% of the time the bottom snare mic won't get used in the mix! heh

Frankly, I think almost any mic works on bottom snare, once in a while I found it useful for bringing out ghost notes or when the drummer plays with brushes. A 57 works fine IMO.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

o.k, I stop posting after this one....

But I REALLY am curious to learn this from the 441 'supporters': Which are the applications where you find the 441 superior to other mics? (As opposed to being a versatile mic that 'does its job' which certainly true).

Are there say acoustic guitar sounds you can't get with other mics, any mic?

For example my 441 sounds much smoother than the 3 Telefunken 421s I have but the latter just KILL on guitar amps and toms, etc so I feel that there are a few applications where a 421 is absolutely the best mic for certain sounds.

I just couldn't say that about the 441 so far. I had visions of Tom Petty-like acoustic guitars and Stevie Nicks-like vocals when I first got the 441 but besides the not inconsiderable fact of said artists having a lot to do with how they sound I never got even a tad of that vibe from the 441.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I'll give it a go at the weekend then!
Also, it can work wonders on SN top with HH bashers. Look for the spot considering the tipical 180° lobe of its pattern.

Kick as well! (filters and HF enfasis + a Fet!... wink-wink...)

And is the absolute champ for congas!

Ok I'll stop now.

regards
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Seriously, It's a Sennheiser 441 not a holy grail! Just as 421's are used big time on Tom,Tom's and Cabs etc, the 441 is often overlooked, though many great Dynamics are, and I guess that was my point - Simply that I think really great dynamic Mic's are overlooked, no real big deal in the scheme of things, sorry Psycho Monkey if I started an avalanche on the 441! I'm sure you'll get into the Mic cupboard eventually! Great Mic for Metal screamers like the SM7/B etc.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Seriously, It's a Sennheiser 441 not a holy grail! Just as 421's are used big time on Tom,Tom's and Cabs etc, the 441 is often overlooked, though many great Dynamics are, and I guess that was my point - Simply that I think really great dynamic Mic's are overlooked, no real big deal in the scheme of things, sorry Psycho Monkey if I started an avalanche on the 441! I'm sure you'll get into the Mic cupboard eventually! Great Mic for Metal screamers like the SM7/B etc.
Sorry guys if I forgot the IMOs, FWIW and YMMVs.

Personally, I never said it was a holy grail. Just a effing great mic which doesn't belong to a cupboard! hahah Well, ok. I said one of the best mic ever... Hope the "I'm a 441 freak "part took care of that though.

IMO, it's much better suited for organic sources than any dynamic I've tried when clarity is desired, it handles transients great for a dynamic too. I always set it for vox and it stands up pretty often among my 87 and Arabella Producer, specially with females and when I'm recording the hole band in the room. You gotta be carefull with pops though.

I found it also shines on flute.

Are there better mics? Sure, but IMO not so many at the used prices they go, I'll take it before any SM7 and 421 any day of the week. But yeah, that's me.

regards,
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
BTW, 400~$ is about THE price for a 2nd hand 441 in good working condition.
yep, $400 seems to be the sweet spot from what i've been seeing while watching them on ebay etc over the past few months. you can get them for less if you're really patient, and you'll have to pay a fair bit more (more like $550) if you need it NOW.

i wouldn't pay more than what i did for it. looking forward to trying it out on a bunch of stuff!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I like mine. I like it on snare a lot. Sometimes on guitar cabs. 441s are great mics. I reach for mine as much or more than my RE20 and SM7b.
I played guitar on a record last year for a gal named Shelby Earl and her voice was amazing through a 441. The mic we picked it over was an M49 too...

Horses for courses. I won't be getting rid of my 441 though.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Did anyone actually buy the mic in the original post?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

do you guys really like 421s or are they just "a bit better than a '57"? I find them just so middle of the road - just an imo, but I can't see how they compare to 441s

flame away, but pls give some examples ;-)
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Would that be like saying a driver is the same as a putter? Both are used for playing golf but are made for different parts of the course...
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveq View Post
Did anyone actually buy the mic in the original post?
yeah i grabbed it.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Which are the applications where you find the 441 superior to other mics? (As opposed to being a versatile mic that 'does its job' which certainly true).
Snare top
Bass cab
Sax (excellent live, to record I would audition a few)
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict
What did you end up scoring it for?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbari View Post
What did you end up scoring it for?
$400. fair price. it was marked down from $650, which was... ambitious of them.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Nice work! New RRP is over $1300 on that badboy.

I've used them a few times on snare bottom and like Claend, busted one out on a flute. $400 is a great deal.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

used it on electric guitar (dark, overdriven fender deluxe via jaguar) and trumpet (live, full band, single room tracking) over the weekend and it worked a treat on both. the room rejection was one of the things i was most after from this mic, and it seems to live up to its reputation in that respect.

want to give it a run on snare next up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search