The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why color sound on the way in?
Old 18th October 2013
I compress and slightly eq mostly just a little high pass on the way in because my signal is then that much more prepped for mixing. Mind you these are conservative tweaks, not trying to get my 100% mix sound just a prep thing. Now i always start with just pre to converters and see how that sounds then ill throw the comp in the chain and repeat. I always try to take a few mins to get the best sound i can, tell the artist not to worry if they mess up and just keep going as i get the sound. Recording the whole time because you never know. Now artist warmed up you got your sound dialed in and good to go. It's how I was taught and works at well. I was also taught to mix while tracking and not wait till the end for a few reasons, 1 being your rough mix is mostly done when the tracking is and only needing minor tweaks, 2 you don't end up finding out what isn't working or has issues a day or week later when mixing the song and your source is no longer around, and 3 you spend less time burning out on the same song, loosing your instincts and becoming overly analytical which often leads to over mixing and dull mixes.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe View Post
This is very understandable and efficient enough on this experience level, when you know what you're doing, you don't need to add anything more to that, would only complicate things.

Please note I was definitely not telling that you should optimize the process model you use eventhough it's possible that your process model could be further optimized, I was more referring to the points I was making such as it's probably a good idea to be ready going into mixing, rather than ending up with the conclusion that the production is not ready for mixing, halfway into the budgeted mixing project slot. That setups the project for an execution mess.

My process model is to a great degree business driven as well and meant to automatically exclude certain scenarios and mistakes in a business context, make the project robust and structured enough and hence set the project risk at a good default level. An experienced pro knows what choices to make when, how, why, less experienced pros don't, they forget, they become distracted and so on and that dramatically increases the risk level of executing many projects with a lot of unique challenges, projects become issue prone, the issues start eating on their business...

In my opinion it is better to execute against a process model until you can prove you are able to execute that in a business context with project success, when that is a fact you can go from a strict mode to a less strict mode and eventually when you get a lot of experience, you can go into free mode because you execute each project as efficiently or even more efficiently without the process model. But that's on the expert level.

psycho_monkey, I can understand that simplicity is powerful in the hands of an expert, I'm not at all against that idea and that the way you do things and because it works and on that level it is also the way others should do it as well, I agree they should, but I think less experienced pros/engineers than you are not strict enough to that simplicity when unique never handled before scenarios occur in the business context. You resume to master when the mix is ready, they resume to master when the mix is not ready. You don't resume to master when the mix is not ready, they don't resume to master when the mix is ready. Both implement the same process model simplicity, but in the reality the conditions for success with that simplicity are totally different between the two experience levels. Not always, but frequently enough to put a big enough risk on the success of their business.
You speak like a corporate Lean, Six Sigma Black Belt trying to optimize every "process" in order to find every wasted thought or movement in an attempt to squeeze every last penny of profit.

Let it go! Play some music and have fun.
Old 18th October 2013
Motown legend

It totally depends on what you are doing.

Recording a live ensemble, I would go for as transparent an approach as possible.

If I'm building a track one instrument at a time, it's important to commit to both the sound and the balance so that each additional part can be performed and judged in context.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search