The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Power amp, clicking on & off...
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Power amp, clicking on & off...

Nothing came up on google, so I decided to post here...

I have a pair of ns10's hooked up to a servo 200 power amp. The amp is acting strange. The amp keeps making a clicking noise & only periodically there will be sound for a split second. The sound is coming from the monitor outputs on my UAD apollo.

Anyone know what the issue is here? Hopefully something simple that I'm overlooking?
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Popping sound huh? Does that popping sound as soon as the audio drops? How old is the Servo 200. I think the first big thing you can do is use a set of headphones or another power amp/powered speaker setup and reassure that it is not the Apollo at fault. Take an impedance rating of the NS-10s and make sure you don't have a short in the wiring of each speaker.

If everything else comes out fine, my first guess would be that the filter caps in the Servo 200 have gone bad and need a recap job. Considering the 1000W rating and thus the very high voltage required, that is very probable. Then again it could also be from the monitors shorting out and the over-current protection in the power amp is doing its job...or even the interface stopped working, which is unlikely imo.
Old 15th October 2013
Could be a capacitor issue in the amp
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks for the tips.

It's not a popping sound though. It's clicking, almost like when you press the power button.

& the amp is probably around 8 years old now.

I also forgot to mention that the meters arent lighting up at all, even when the sound comes on momentarily.

My Focals work fine with the Apollo.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Sounds more like the caps are beginning to go bad and are leaking or something else in the PSU section of the amp like regulators. Clicking is usually a sign of leaking caps. If they are leaking enough there won't be enough voltage to power certain sections like your meters.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search