The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
JBL LSR 3 series vs Dynaudio BM5a's
Old 14th October 2013
Deleted User
JBL LSR 3 series vs Dynaudio BM5a's

So- it has come time for me to upgrade my monitoring! I currently use KRK Rokit 6's which I feel like I outgrew some time ago, but never got around to replacing.

I have tried the smaller dynaudio monitors (BM5a and BM6a) and find them to be beautiful. I actually like them better than the bigger dynaudios, especially that I often work in smaller rooms at a modest loudness.

I am also interested in the new JBL monitors. I found about 10 reviews of these things (LSR 305 and 308) online and they have all been very positive.
I guess the main thing would be to try them out- which I will try to do.

But I'd love some insight!
thanks
Old 20th October 2013
Deleted User
I see no one is able to help because the JBLs are pretty new. I've been demoing them for the past 2 days and they sound great. I think they are an insanely good value but I also love the Dynaudio stuff.
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

I have Bm5a mkii and lsr305 in front of me right now. The bm5a's are tubbier in the low mids and smoother on top and the imaging is not as good IMO. They get louder then the jbls.

The JBLs are clearer have better imaging and have great detail in the highs. They are somewhat lacking in the lowend department. I have noticed they are a little fatiguing though.

I think I'm gonna stick with the JBL's myself and add a sub too fill out the bottom.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've been curious about these two as well. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 21st October 2013
Deleted User
Yeh- both are nice speakers.
Thanks for the input trextasy!!
Old 21st October 2013
Deleted User
just got a pair of jbls

might get some dyns in the future to augment
Old 8th November 2013
Another one interested for the JBLs. How are they working for you? Here in Spain they are 240€ for the 305 and 400€ the 308, really cheap for what people are talking about them. I'm going to pair them with my KRK V6 series 2, should I get the 5" or the 8" if I'm happy with the bass in the KRKs? ( I think the frequency showed by JBL is about -10db or -6db). Bests!
Old 8th November 2013
Deleted User
The new JBLs blow the KRKs out of the water. Then again, a pair of generic multimedia speakers could blow KRKs out of the water.

KRK is similar to NS10 in terms of a non sonorous speaker with a mid forward presentation. The difference is that NS 10 has a significant bass roll off, which is fine once you get used to it. The KRKs actually overdrive the woofer to get bass, but at that point it's not reproduction, it's distortion. This is the thing I truly hate about my KRK R6's.

The JBL is a good speaker for both listening and mixing.
Old 8th November 2013
I'm talking about KRK V series(the old ones) which are way superior to the actual VXT series and most of the monitor in the 1000€ range, probably you are confused with the Rokits.
Old 9th November 2013
Deleted User
Yeah your KRK's are way better than mine. I am only talking about the Rokits because they are what I own. That's all I can speak about
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

An older set of the V8's either the I's or the II's is going to be better IMO than the current KRK's. Keith Klawitter still owned the company when they were made. Old KRK's were known for actually being excellent monitors. I still work on a pair of V8 MKII's and they get the job done. In other words my mixes do translate. I am planning on picking on something newer but it will be upstream. I just did pick up a pair of Focal Spirit Pro Headphones so I am about to be spoiled. LOL
Old 9th November 2013
I love my V6 II but want to add a second pair and don't want to spend so much, that is why I'm looking at the JBL, they looks to be better than the Yamaha HS series at the same price.
Old 9th November 2013
Deleted User
My friend has the Yamaha's and they are good speakers (far better than my Rokits- big surprise). They are pretty well balanced and have always stood out to me as having a 3D sound. Warren from Zen Pro Audio sells a modded pair that are worth checking out.
But yeah can't go wrong with the new JBLs.
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

I jumped in with JBLs when they first put out the LSRs back around 2000 I'm guessing. One other studio in particular that I frequent has an older pair of KRK E8s. I never liked working on the KRKs and a lot of it had to do with the top end. Just to brash for me. In contrast I love the JBL LSRs. They have a very open and clean sound and the top end is so right. Coupled with the sub and it is perfect for me. I can't wait to demo the new 3 series.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search