The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rupert Neve Portico 5043 doesn't fit Half Rack!
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Rupert Neve Portico 5043 doesn't fit Half Rack!

Hi all,

I've just purchased a Portico 5043 to e for remote drum recording.

Rupert Neve Designs – Portico 5043 – Compressor / Limiter Duo

It's advertised as Half Rack 1u unit.

So, I've also purchased a half width 4u flight case to house the unit -

4u Half Width 2 Door Rack Case Flight Case

I've just gone to put the unit in the case and it's too narrow!

Am I missing something? Are all Half Rack units equal in size?

Any suggestions on how to get this thing to fit securely?

Many thanks
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Here is a pic of the problem.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25tj...5#.Ulwq3RDhOSo

I'm really disappointed. The item was advertised as half rack.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Many thanks!
Old 14th October 2013
There should be a little black piece that came with it, that you would use to attach two together. Put that on one end and it should line up with the holes. The actual unit will be off centre slightly in the rack, but function over fashion! Haha
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Definitely! You are genius if this works. Thanks
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Just checked the box. No little black piece.

Do you own one of these? Any advice on where to find it?

Thanks again
Old 15th October 2013
Ah dang just looked it up and the mounting kit is seperate. If you're handy you can grab a small piece of sheet metal and make one, should be like 2 bucks in parts
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yep 2 pieces of sheet metal some screws and your done!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a bunch of these units. They make adapter for a full 19" rack space Rupert Neve Designs – Accessories , but I don't think they make one for a half rack.

I'm afraid you're going to fab something with sheet metal if you want to fit it into your rack. Weird design, I agree.

On the upside, the 5043 is one of my favorites on the drum buss!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

This one had me scratching my head, but I think I have it figured it. I vote that RND's design makes sense, and RME's doesn't. Here's why:

RND can fit two units side-by-side in a 19" rack with an adapter, or in a half rack with an spacer. OTOH, RME units can be mounted only in a half rack. If you want to put one in a full rack, you need an adapter and they're too big to put two side-by-side.

There's a much bigger market for full 19" racks than half racks. Therefore, RND's design can be fit compactly in the format which has the greatest market.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

It looks like the RME is 10.5 inches wide. Perfect fit. The Neve is just under 9.5 inches.

2 x Neve units in a full rack width.
RME would need to be reduced in width size.

Neve have been helpful but unable to offer a solution. unfortunately.

The options seem to be -

1) Put spacers in behind the rack strip to bring it in by the exact amount. The rack company have offered to do this. At a price.

2) Get some metal and create my own spacer

3) I've been in contact with Black Lion Audio (i'm looking to buy an Auteur unit)

They have been really helpful. 2 x Auteur units fit in a full width rack. They sell a small metal spacer for $5 which looks like it will work on the BLA and the Neve unit. I hope!

Thanks again all. Gearslutz rocks.

Last question -

I'm not at all handy with DIY. Can anyone recommend the metal and tools I'd need to make my own if needed?

Thanks
Old 24th September 2014
Does anyone have a picture of a single portico like the 5015 for exemple fitting in a single u space. I cant found some pics in the internet.

They seem over priced, my opinion. But is there another alternative? A way to rackmounted but for a cheaper price?
Old 5th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfredoFernando View Post
Does anyone have a picture of a single portico like the 5015 for exemple fitting in a single u space. I cant found some pics in the internet.

They seem over priced, my opinion. But is there another alternative? A way to rackmounted but for a cheaper price?
Bump
Old 5th August 2015
I believe the chameleon labs 1/2 kit will fit the portico series half racks. I have the portico 1/2 rack kit that I am using with a chameleon labs cps-501 and it fits perfectly. So I believe they are the same size and the opposite should work. Its half the price of the portico kit.

Chameleon Labs RM1 Single CPS501 Rack Mount Kit at FrontEndAudio.com
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
This one had me scratching my head, but I think I have it figured it. I vote that RND's design makes sense, and RME's doesn't. Here's why:

RND can fit two units side-by-side in a 19" rack with an adapter, or in a half rack with an spacer. OTOH, RME units can be mounted only in a half rack. If you want to put one in a full rack, you need an adapter and they're too big to put two side-by-side.

There's a much bigger market for full 19" racks than half racks. Therefore, RND's design can be fit compactly in the format which has the greatest market.
You can have two half rack RME units in one rack space side by side. Those ears come off and you can mount them in a full rack mounting bracket they sell, they fit absolutely flush to each other with no unsightly gap anywhere too. I had two Multifaces (and at one time a ADI-2) in a rack side by side for many years. I think they also sell a bracket to mount one half rack unit into a full one.

Last edited by Animus; 5th August 2015 at 05:45 PM..
Old 5th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
I believe the chameleon labs 1/2 kit will fit the portico series half racks. I have the portico 1/2 rack kit that I am using with a chameleon labs cps-501 and it fits perfectly. So I believe they are the same size and the opposite should work. Its half the price of the portico kit.

Chameleon Labs RM1 Single CPS501 Rack Mount Kit at FrontEndAudio.com
I guess all porticos module are the same size. Juts for curiosity, what is the model you got so I can compare the width with mine.

Thanks again for sharing,

Hard to believe that for more than half the price you get the same.
Old 6th August 2015
I have owned several 5012/5016's over the years, but have sold them all. I currently have the portico 511 pre in a chameleon labs 500 1/2 rack. I am using the neve 1/2 rack joining kit with it. The neve kit is more substantial metal wise and has a part that connects the rear also.

I actually have another extra neve joining kit for connecting two portico 1/2 rack units. If you add the plate you could have the 1/2 kit. Let me know if your interested in it for $20. It looks like the item below minus the rear plate and screws.

Rupert Neve Designs Horizontal Joining Kit | Sweetwater.com
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search