The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I need a good advice reg. Ampex 456/406
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

I need a good advice reg. Ampex 456/406

Hey there

I just got 50 beautiful Ampex 456 and 406 mastertapes from a legendary studio that was used by some of biggest, most popular and groundbreaking artists back in the 70's and 80's. I am very curious to find out what is on the tapes. But i know there is an issue with the Ampex 456/406, that might make them unplayable. So i don't really know what to do. They have been stored at the studio-owners home at room temperature since the 80's.

Anyone with a good advice?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

You won't really know until you put a tape up and see if it starts shedding. As long as they're from the 70's or 80's they're formula should allow baking to rejuvenate the backing adhesive. 'Baking' does not mean sticking it in your home oven, there is a narrow window of time temperature and humidity which depend on tape thickness (1/4", 1/2", 2"..)
Any large studio with a reputation would return tapes to the rightful owners of the tape, that being the record company. If the record company did not want them, the studio would use an industrial tape eraser to clear the tape so don't get your hopes too high (not to mention you wouldn't have the rights to the music). All that means is not to spend a lot of your money to bake and transfer the tapes. If you already have a tape machine, you can get a food dehydrator to get the proper temp for baking tapes
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for the useful reply. I am totally aware of the rights issues regarding the musical content. First of all i am just curious to find out what's on them Thanks again!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search