The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
About to pull trigger on Apollo
Old 14th October 2013
Deleted User
About to pull trigger on Apollo

I have been researching high end interfaces for some time and I think the UA Apollo is right for me. I have a few questions before I go forward.

Have any users had problems with noise or excessive heat?

Any dropouts or errors when communicating with Pro Tools and Logic?

Any latency or other issues with the Duo model when using the UAD plugins while tracking?

Thanks
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

black diamond......you will LOVE the apollo. i've had mine for several months now and it's incredible.....the plug-ins are top notch and I have zero complaints.

i track with practically no latency at all (while even using the plug-ins).

the unit sounds great and works fine with no issues both with logic 9 and my recently purchased logic x.
Old 14th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
black diamond......you will LOVE the apollo. i've had mine for several months now and it's incredible.....the plug-ins are top notch and I have zero complaints.

i track with practically no latency at all (while even using the plug-ins).

the unit sounds great and works fine with no issues both with logic 9 and my recently purchased logic x.

Cool thanks for the reply. How are you liking the new instruments and features in Logic X? I might grab a copy of that as well...

But yeah I'm 95% sold on the Apollo. I love the fact that it has 2 headphone outs and its own monitor section! No need for an external monitor controller. Also loving the fact that it has 10 analogue outputs!! 1-2 dedicated monitor path and 3-10 for the summing mixer. Perfect.

Quality wise I know it is very good. I feel like I researched the thing to no end, and there are a ton of satisfied customers! I do think the Apogee symphony is probably the holy grail of the interface world right now (and rightly so, it's a beautiful thing), but I'm hoping that maybe with some Black Lion love, my future Apollo will be sonically similar to the symphony.

My current interface is a 3erd gen mbox pro with the black lion treatment, and has been a workhorse for sure, but I'm ready for the next level of quality.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

TBH, I don't think you're going to find an immediate step up, it a silver bullet type "night and day" difference between the Apollo and your current mbox 3 pro mod, if used as a standard interface.
Same statement applies if you were thinking of a symphony also.

The fidelity and quality of most interfaces these days is so good, differences in quality are often very subjective and/or very small.

Where you WILL find the difference is in tracking with the plugins. This will step your game up, as it's akin to recording through top end compressors, reverb units, etc etc.

This will have a greater impact on your workflow in the long run, but it requires (imho) dedication and the "stones" to record with the plugins on.
With the Apollo though, at least you get this choice.

My advice is if you do decide on an Apollo, try recording with the plugins active. It may take a mix or two to get the levels right, but for me it's really helped to speed up my workflow.
HTH
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

The Apollo is definitely one of the top interfaces right now. Go for it! If you have a problem with it tho, I've heard the UA customer service is great too. And take advantage of being able to track through plugins of course!
Old 14th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
TBH, I don't think you're going to find an immediate step up, it a silver bullet type "night and day" difference between the Apollo and your current mbox 3 pro mod, if used as a standard interface.
Same statement applies if you were thinking of a symphony also.

The fidelity and quality of most interfaces these days is so good, differences in quality are often very subjective and/or very small.

Where you WILL find the difference is in tracking with the plugins. This will step your game up, as it's akin to recording through top end compressors, reverb units, etc etc.

This will have a greater impact on your workflow in the long run, but it requires (imho) dedication and the "stones" to record with the plugins on.
With the Apollo though, at least you get this choice.

My advice is if you do decide on an Apollo, try recording with the plugins active. It may take a mix or two to get the levels right, but for me it's really helped to speed up my workflow.
HTH

I understand this- and a lot of people have recommended that my interface is GOOD ENOUGH, and to focus on other elements of my setup.

I think this is fair advice, but at the same time, I have tried many high level converters, from the Symphony to the Lynx to the Rosetta, etc. I do feel that there is a difference in quality. I feel that I can hear the a more complete picture of the mix. But you are right- my current interface is not terrible!

Along with the jump in quality, I am happy about have more I/O, especially on the output side. It also seems like the Apollo is a forward thinking device, supporting great processors and going Firewire 800 with an optional thunderbolt card.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Spring for the Quad, you will regret it otherwise! The better UAD plugs are processor beasts.
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolipsist View Post
Spring for the Quad, you will regret it otherwise! The better UAD plugs are processor beasts.
Yes yes yes
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Bought the Quad, no regrets, no issues, no heat problems. Love it, recommend it.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolipsist View Post
+1!
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I'm rocking a 16 and it's amazing. Even without dedicated headphone outs it's still easy to do separate headphone mixes and stuff. I did spend a ton of dough I preamps to get up to 18 channels though.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Another vote for going quad...I have a quad apollo and an octo card but with these new plugs i really need another octo
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quad is the way. I've done a lot of work since December with the Apollo and it has changed everything. I've now tracked every inst through plug ins and have found the results to be amazing. After you get the sounds to disc, you have freed up a lot of processing for fine tuning.

I need an Octo soon, but with most sessions I am getting away with maxing out UA plugs and relying on the RAM for other RTAS plugs. No Issues KOW and I enjoy using it with my full studio set up, or just mixing on my MBP.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search