The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should I repair my EV RE20 or just buy an SM7?
Old 14th October 2013

Should I repair my EV RE20 or just buy an SM7?

I bought an Electro Voice RE20 to be used for vocals and kick drum and anything else i really felt like and when i got it it sounded good (not as good as i thought it would, lacked presence) but yanno i was happy either way.

Long story short, it fell on the floor and broke. after several days of crying and trying to wake myself up from what i had hoped was a nightmare, i called EV and found out that the cost of repair was $220. the thing is I could probably find a used SM7 for that much.

Again, my main uses for this are going to be for vocals (lots of screaming and yelping) and for kick drums or bass cabs (possibly even snare drum or hi-hat?)

Should I pay to repair the RE20, that I wasn't really crazy about, or should a add another mic to my locker and let my broken RE20 take up space in my room?

thanks!
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

The fact that you are no crazy about it is probably your answer, but boy is the RE-20 a wonderful mic.
Old 14th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
The fact that you are no crazy about it is probably your answer, but boy is the RE-20 a wonderful mic.
I don't disagree! I love what it did on certain things, like i especially love the lack of proximity effect. however, it seemed to lack a decisive attitude that I'm looking for (i record punk music)

if i were looking for a perfectly neutral dynamic i'd go with the RE20 first, always.

i've heard the SM7 is a little more spicy, and my next mic needs to be a dynamic because my room is untreated, so it's really only between these two.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Guru

tough call. Might come down to if vocals, or kick and bass, is the pressing concern.

for what it's worth I sold my PL20, and kept my SM7B
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Both.

/thread
Old 14th October 2013
Deleted User
An Re-20 is easily a better mic then an SM7B.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I know a guy who repairs RE-20's. He does great work. Email him below if you want to get it repaired.

ben(at)micdaddy.com
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sm7 sounds like modern punk to me....
Old 14th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Both.

/thread
Makes sense. This is gearslutz...
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
^^This. But each to their own. Maybe also check out Heil Sound PR40.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Sm7 sounds like modern punk to me....
+1. It is a good mic for "yelping and screaming" as the OP stated he needs, and a little more "spicy" as he said he wants.
RE20 is an excellent mic, but SM7b is "better" for punk and screamo vocals, IMHO.
And if you have a drummer with a heavy foot, I would not put my RE20 on kik, despite how good it sounds, have heard too many stories of them being damaged that way.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Agree. Still, if you don't like the RE20, the SM7B offers a decent contrast.
Old 14th October 2013
Ben M from Lincoln nebraska I think his name on here is micdaddy. He is your dude for getting this mc fixed.

Rick
Old 14th October 2013
[QUOTEAn Re-20 is easily a better mic then an SM7B. ][/QUOTE]

yeah I love them on bass cab and kick drum.
SM7b needs way more gain to get any full signal.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sm7. I got two of them. Every studio should have an sm7.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
And if you have a drummer with a heavy foot, I would not put my RE20 on kik, despite how good it sounds, have heard too many stories of them being damaged that way.
Really, an RE-20?
I've been using RE-20s on kick drum for over 30 years and never heard one behave in any way that seemed to indicate it was in danger. Never even heard anecdotal cautions about this mic. I've actually seen people throw RE-20s across the room and the mic was unscathed, can't believe a low frequency rarefaction is going to provide more of a threat.

Beyer M88, that's the one I keep hearing you need to be careful of on kick drums...
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Just buy (or borrow) a used SM-7 and see what you think. If you don't like it, you can sell it for the same amount you paid.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
Sm7. I got two of them. Every studio should have an sm7.
Finally a man that understands!

I lucked into a RE-20 along with a bunch of gear from a closing studio but hardly ever used it so far while my two SM7bs see a lot of use. It is much the same as with the Sennheiser MD-441 for me: both are quality mics but I always find better choices for whatever I try it on.

When I saw a clip of a multi-mic setup that Pat Metheny used for a solo recording I spotted a RE-20 in there. So I tried it as a second mic with the intention of capturing the low end on acoustic guitar and it worked pretty well though I suspect that another mic could have done the same job as good or better.

Compared to the RE-20 the SM7b is much smoother and less reedy sounding though as usual 'it depends.'
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really, an RE-20?
I've been using RE-20s on kick drum for over 30 years and never heard one behave in any way that seemed to indicate it was in danger. Never even heard anecdotal cautions about this mic. I've actually seen people throw RE-20s across the room and the mic was unscathed, can't believe a low frequency rarefaction is going to provide more of a threat.

Beyer M88, that's the one I keep hearing you need to be careful of on kick drums...
Definitely agree on the Beyer. Glad you haven't had issues with your EV.
Old 15th October 2013
I own an SM7 and have used the RE-20 extensively. I like the SM7 on rock vocals and the RE-20 on kick. For softer vocals or VO work I like the RE-20. It's really going to come down to what you need it for. I have the SM7 because it gives me the sound that my other mics don't. If I were to record a VO, I'd use a u87 and for soft vocals, I'd use some other condenser. The SM7 takes screaming vocals like nothing else I have.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Head
There isn't a single instance I've ever A/B'd my sm7 with my re20 that the re20 wasn't clearly the better choice. To each their own though, I suppose.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

When my PL 20 worked right, it saved my ass with screamy untrained singers who sounded TERRIBLE on the "good mics." I borrowed an SM7 for a while once and it was great for metal vocals. I really need to send the PL20 to Ben.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really, an RE-20?

A couple of my brothers' have an RE20 each. Both of them are now not working properly. The most recent one apparently got damaged recording his 70's Ludwig 26 inch kick. The drum is loud and a bit like a cannon, but i"m not sure exactly what damage there is inside the mic. Great sounding mics but I guess there must be some weakness in there which they are disappointed about considering the difficulty and cost of repair from here in NZ.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would want to have both available.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Get the RE20 fixed and get SM7.

The RE gets way more air time around here than the SM7 but both are cheap and worth having in a tool chest.

Good luck!
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Like LDC & SDC's, & Ribbons an Array of Dynamic Microphones in the Locker can seriously "Save Your Neck" most days when Tracking & Recording Various sources is required. I'd say an RE-20, SM7/B, MD421, MD441, alongside a few 57's & 58's are kind of the sleepers your going to come back to and rely on. Unless you have 4 Pairs of LDC's & SDC's etc. Then I'd go Heil PR 40, and branch out. Yeap you might want to keep the 3 main Dynamic's intact & working! "Just In case" can often mean....Damn I really need that RE-20 Microphone! Fix it for sure!
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

PR-40 for sure - great off-axis rejection, crisp and clear - well worth having.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search