The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Choice of analog budget mixer.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Choice of analog budget mixer.

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a used analog desk, nothing extreme, I was oriented towards desks like a toft atb with 24 channels and some stereo returns would be enough..
Similar things around I've seen would be A&H GS r 24, or I read on this forum about D&R vision.

The desk would be used mainly for mixing (so I really care about eqs and summing) and for some tracking too some some nice preamps wouldn't hurt.
I prefer a ballsy sound, like a Harrison or the EMI for ex, I don' really need something too transparent I figure I can use plugins for that.

So all this said my budget would be around 5000 6500 at max
Minimum 24 tracks
What suggestions do you guys have about the desks I mentitioned, and can you suggest other ones, even old ones are great..
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

It's worth checking the Midas Venice F-32.

24 mono+4 stereo inputs, nice pres, nice EQ, 6 auxes, 4 subs,
32 ch. FW interface....at 2400 Euro(EU)...3000$(US)

You'll have a nice desk and plenty of cash for extras.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
It's worth checking the Midas Venice F-32.

24 mono+4 stereo inputs, nice pres, nice EQ, 6 auxes, 4 subs,
32 ch. FW interface....at 2400 Euro(EU)...3000$(US)

You'll have a nice desk and plenty of cash for extras.
Oh yes, I knew about the venice but forgot to mention it..
I see there's also a 24 ch version 2200..
I don't really need the converters though and I'd rather spend for more beefness :P
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronte23 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a used analog desk, nothing extreme, I was oriented towards desks like a toft atb with 24 channels and some stereo returns would be enough..
Similar things around I've seen would be A&H GS r 24, or I read on this forum about D&R vision.

The desk would be used mainly for mixing (so I really care about eqs and summing) and for some tracking too some some nice preamps wouldn't hurt.
I prefer a ballsy sound, like a Harrison or the EMI for ex, I don' really need something too transparent I figure I can use plugins for that.

So all this said my budget would be around 5000 6500 at max
Minimum 24 tracks
What suggestions do you guys have about the desks I mentitioned, and can you suggest other ones, even old ones are great..
Look for a good condition used Yamaha PM2000, preferably with reliably done mods. It's essentially an API console without a 2bus...but there are ways to modify it.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yes, I knew about the venice but forgot to mention it..
I see there's also a 24 ch version 2200..
I don't really need the converters though and I'd rather spend for more beefness :P
The VeniceF will have plenty of beefiness...
Be aware the the frame size Midas list is not the mono channel count. For some reason they choose to include stereo channels as two channels, and they are not full featured
The F32 will get you 24 mono channels plus some stereos with fixed band EQ etc
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Look for a good condition used Yamaha PM2000, preferably with reliably done mods. It's essentially an API console without a 2bus...but there are ways to modify it.
Yamaha's got always something in their sleeve.. It looks sweet, the black tint and the vu meters I guess make 80% of the sound anyways
I'll research further on this one..Thanks
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yamaha's got always something in their sleeve.. It looks sweet, the black tint and the vu meters I guess make 80% of the sound anyways
I'll research further on this one..Thanks
It's a vintage desk...*late seventies to early eighties. Google them...you'll find a lot of curious info. I own one, and it's fantastic, and extremely similar to a vintage API 1604 in many ways.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
It's a vintage desk...*late seventies to early eighties. Google them...you'll find a lot of curious info. I own one, and it's fantastic, and extremely similar to a vintage API 1604 in many ways.
I read a bit about it, seems pretty fancy and customizable.
They don't seem easy to find though and the master buss defenately needs some modding...

Right now I would still be undecided between the ones I mentioned at the top of post.. the toft might sound beefier, having worked with A&h stuff I wasn't very impressed with the eqs.. altough this gs-r24 has 2 fully parametric bands! I'd really like to hear from somebody who tried these eqs..+ it has 2 tube inputs.
Speaking of tubes what about TL Audio desks? How would a tl audio vtc compare to a toft?
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read a bit about it, seems pretty fancy and customizable.
They don't seem easy to find though and the master buss definitely needs some modding...

Right now I would still be undecided between the ones I mentioned at the top of post.. the Toft might sound beefier, having worked with A&h stuff I wasn't very impressed with the eqs.. although this gs-r24 has 2 fully parametric bands! I'd really like to hear from somebody who tried these eqs..+ it has 2 tube inputs.
Speaking of tubes what about TL Audio desks? How would a tl audio vtc compare to a Toft?
A Toft or an A&H won't hold a candle to a PM2000 modded out with new power supplies...even without a 2bus installed. If you get one running at higher voltage than an API they just open up. (API is + and - 16Volts...my PM2000 is + and - 24 Volts.)

But if you were going with modern stuff...I would look into a Great River Summing Mixer instead of those options and build a mobile rack.

A Toft with wiring is going to cost you between $6K-$8K. (Remember patchbays are not cheap to put together even if you solder them yourself.)

The GR Mixmaster has huge custom sowter transformers which will sound closer to a master section on a class A console than the Toft (Since all of them rely upon transformers and huge power draws to get that magic.) It also includes four preamps that are extremely good. It's 16 I/O with FX sends and some inserts and the like. You could buy nice EQ's over time to round things out. Plus no one can beat their customer service in the USA. No one. They are the best of the best.

With the PM2000 it's all Cinemag transformers (like an API) on the preamp...in the EQ...in the fader pack...in the bus section. All loading into each other...and that's the beef...as long as there's enough current to draw on it'll crush it. (It was designed during the "lawsuit era." for Yamaha...when they were getting in trouble for Gibson clones.) The stock Yamaha PSU is the first that needs to be modded since it just doesn't have that much juice.

I would also look into a used Trident 24 consoles over the Toft with your budget as well. I would still pick my Yamaha if I had to choose today, but they're easier to find that my PM2000...and mine is a "special" lady considering who modded it out and when.

The best "new" console option...is actually a sidecar. Aurora makes a 10 channel sidecar with full EQ that looks and sounds ridiculous, even though it's simple and stripped down in terms of features. (but it's nearly $20,000...you could have a vintage Trident 80b or 80c for that.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search