The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Routing audio to laptop
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Routing audio to laptop

Good day all, this is my first post on GS, so if I'm in the wrong about anything - where I'm posting etc. please let me know!

I've just begun building a small home studio and on the audio side have a couple mics, one Shure SM57, and one Rode NT1A, and a PRO Art MPA 2 pre amp for them, and on the digital side a new Lenovo T530 laptop which is running Ableton Live 9.

Now my question is about getting suggestions for how to complete the AD/DA conversion? I know there will be a myriad different possibilities, but in order to narrow the options down, here are a couple of factors I'm thinking about:

Since I already have a pre amp, but it doesn't have any ADC/DAC capabilities, I'm wondering if there are any relatively inexpensive, dedicated AD/DA converters without any gain / input impedance capabilities. I simply want to convert the signal coming out of the pre amp (which will be line level right?) to digital and then run that into the USB on my laptop. My laptop doesn't actually have an audio in option except for the built-in mics, so I need to convert to digital externally and then run it in using USB.

A related question: if there is some gear someone thinks highly of, is not overly expensive - say <~$500, has ADC/DAC capabilities, and does have gain / input impedance options, can I run the output from Art MPA 2 through it at line level?

Hmmm, sorry guys, I've just realized this post sounds a little muddled as I'm just starting out and sort of groping in the dark. Last week a friend lent me his Behringer Xenyx 2222USB mixer and I've been trying to route the audio from the mics through its USB out to my laptop without much luck and I'm trying to find some simple solutions! Anything anybody's got would be very much appreciated. Bless!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
Something with some line ins/outs and a couple extra preamps.

Motu Ultralite
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

I've been looking at the Komplete Audio 6, and reckon it may do the job. I read the GS review on it and it seems OK. Any other suggestions?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search