The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Church Studios gets a new owner.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

The Church Studios gets a new owner.

David Gray announces sale of legendary London studios to Paul Epworth

Multi-platinum recording artist David Gray has announced the sale of The Church Studios in Crouch Hill, London to influential British producer Paul Epworth. The studios, a converted church, was bought by Gray in 2004 from Eurthymics musician Dave Stewart, with Gray subsequently recording his three studio albums - Life In Slow Motion, Draw The Line and Foundling - there.

David Gray said, "I'm delighted to be handing on this wonderful building in the knowledge that it will remain a vital part of London's ongoing music heritage. I am just putting the finishing touches to what will be the fourth studio album I have recorded at The Church and it remains a very inspiring place. I bought the studios as my own personal recording space and at one stage - with the problems in the wider music business - it looked like the chance of selling it on as a working studio were close to zero. I know Paul has lots of ideas and I wish him and the studio the very best.”

Paul Epworth commented, "David approached me as a last call to see if he could keep the building as a studio rather than let it go to residential. I was equally as keen to keep a piece of London recording history running and we finally completed the exchange at the start of October. It's a fantastic place and I intend to refurbish the studio to make it a viable commercial business. I hope we can keep it as a recording studio for the next 10-20 years with a bit of luck.”

The Church Studios first became a recoding space in the 1990's when purchased by Dave Stewart. Since then it has attracted a vast array of artists, including Bob Dylan, Radiohead and My Bloody Valentine.

A builds blog of The Church rebuild is coming soon.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

A house of worship indeed!
Old 13th October 2013
Very glad to hear its not going the way of the Buffalo.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

I'll give it 3 years maximum...
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravit Dinchy View Post
I'll give it 3 years maximum...
Oh yee of little faith... Difficult times, but good studios are still needed. It's going to be pretty special once it has had its makeover.

Bookmarked.

Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Plus they have the Sesame Street Api console - which is so cool..
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

A bit more info on the Pro Sound News website here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search