The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cling Film or Shrink Wrap for Bass Traps
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut

Cling Film or Shrink Wrap for Bass Traps

Hi all,

I'm after some advice.

I'm in the process of building 8 x general purpose bass traps. Approx. 1200 x 600mm in size.

I've purchased everything I need andhave already made four. It seems to work well.

My question is about overing the wool in cling film/shrink wrap. Not to reflect frequencies but to keep the fibres in.

I've used Earth Wool by Knauf which (I think) is safer. The reason for the caution is that the room I'll be recording drums in is tiny with very little ventilation.

My questions are -

1) Is shrink wrap or cling film acoustically transparent?

2) Should I use this to stop fibres from leaving the traps (currently covered in Cara fabric)? I thought I would cover the Wool in wrap before building the traps.

Thanks in advance.

This site is truely helpful.
UKG
Old 13th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKG View Post
Hi all,

I'm after some advice.

I'm in the process of building 8 x general purpose bass traps. Approx. 1200 x 600mm in size.

I've purchased everything I need andhave already made four. It seems to work well.

My question is about overing the wool in cling film/shrink wrap. Not to reflect frequencies but to keep the fibres in.

I've used Earth Wool by Knauf which (I think) is safer. The reason for the caution is that the room I'll be recording drums in is tiny with very little ventilation.

My questions are -

1) Is shrink wrap or cling film acoustically transparent?

2) Should I use this to stop fibres from leaving the traps (currently covered in Cara fabric)? I thought I would cover the Wool in wrap before building the traps.

Thanks in advance.

This site is truely helpful.
UKG
Cling and shrink wrap are not transparent at all. I and most others will recommend using a fabric/textile covering. Felt and muslin are the cheapest usual suspects.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Keep fire safety in mind, too, for anything you put on your walls - a lot of plastics are very ignition-prone.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Good points! Thank you.

The traps will be covered in a cara fabric. As standard.

I'm considering puting the wrap/film under the fabric. Just for the purpose of keeping the fibres in.

I've read a couple of post on here.. some saying that the traps are safe others saying 'maybe not'.

In a standard size room I wouldnt be concerned. The room is extremely small with little ventilation. Hence, why I'm being extra cautious.

Any other opinions on using wrap / film to keep fibres in?

Thanks again!
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Get some sheet cotton from the fabric store. See if you can breathe through it but still gives significant resistance. Pick a color you like. You can even choose a funky pattern. That should work just fine.
It'll keep the fibers in and won't reflect frequencies back.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ1-1
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

You can make a 10:1 solution (PVA - wood glue - and water), put inside a sprayer and apply on all sides of rockwool. Add 2 drops of washing liquid to the mixture
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search