The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
There is good low end and GREAT low end...
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
There is good low end and GREAT low end...

Start by listening to this song. After I listened to this mix I realised I have to re-approach my work on the low end, the low end in this mix is delicious, I love it. I'm listening to the mix using the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones, they have a very flat low end...

Better Than Beautiful by Joe Nichols on Spotify

This is my perception of it. I can sense nothing is in the way of the bass and kick, maybe a very efficient high pass filter was used on a rather broad scope. But the bass is not only clear, but harmonizes in a very beautiful way, it's almost like a super low male voice... That's what brings my attention. Either it's generated by the room or by a very high quality reverb, before the compressor I would guess. Then, eventhough the bass is this big and deep and vibrant, it is not heavy, so it must have been extremely well compressed. The kick drum is soft and anonymous, with some air. Very good combination and a very nice low end that I really like... What are your ideas about how to achieve this type of low end?

If you like to listen to a song over and over due to a certain mix property, then you have really achieved something as a mix engineer...

I think one of the reasons why the low end becomes so nice is because the kick doesn't suck any energy from the bass in the intro and the first verse, it automatically becomes a very mild attack. That's one thing, the denseness is delayed far into the mix. And then when the kick enters the mix I think the bass guitar is given more energy. Very clever mixing... Another thing is that the bass guitar stays really fixed in the center, it doesn't move or expand in any way, it is just very stable. That kind of tells me that a filter has been used on all other sound sources in the low end. I have to look through how I filter out the low frequencies to give enough room to the bass guitar...
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear
Bump. This is sorted out now, me and Jerome have reverse engineered the low end.

WARNING: If you read the thread below it might provide you a perfect low end.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-a...sed-album.html
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search