The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommend your best studio mic for $2000 or less
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Recommend your best studio mic for $2000 or less

hey guys.....long timer lurker and i have been recording for over twenty years. I dont mind to spend money on gear and have dropped some pretty good money on stuff over the years.

i am currently looking to upgrade my mic situation in the studio. i would prefer to keep it at around $2000 or less, if possible....but i am open to spending more if its the right choice for me.

my uses for the mic will be primarily male vocal at about 85-90% and 10-15% acoustic guitar.

I've had my eye on a Lauten Audio Atlantis for a bit now and the reviews seem really really good.....so any thoughts on this mic would be appreciated, if any of you have experience with them......outside of that mic, I see many other that I think would be nice but I'm just not sure.

my current locker includes;

neumann tlm 103
rode nt2a
royer r-121
sennheiser md421II
Shure beta 57a
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Soundelux 251c sometimes come up for around that price.
Old 12th October 2013
ADK TT or Custom Shop TC...
Old 12th October 2013
JZ BH-1, Mojave MA-300 (multipattern version of MA-200) and Lauten Atlantis are three versatile contenders that come to mind. The JZ is cleaner overall than the Mojave; the Mojave has a silkier more colored vibe in comparison. The Lauten Atlantis is a 'swiss army knife' with its three switchable voicings. The just now shipping Peluso P-49 looks interesting (I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it yet), the frequency response shows it to be very neutral with no hype (meaning versatile in my book).
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Pearlman TM-1
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Peluso VTB... a bit bright on top, which can serve, depending, and relatively neutral in a tube LDC kinda way... I've upgraded the coupling caps in mine to great effect; more transparent and smooths out the top...
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Lauten Atlantis
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Maniac

thanks so much guys!! this was exactly what I am looking for....several of you have mentioned mics that I am not very familiar with so I am going to do some research based on your suggestions!
Old 13th October 2013
Brauner Phanthera.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut

Peluso P67 will treat you well all around
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Gefell m930
Old 13th October 2013
Peluso 22 47SE
Peluso P12
Mojave Audio MA-300

All of those are amazing mics and they are all under $2k.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut

I've had my Pearlman TM-1 for a few years now and it is great on vocals for many singers, also excellent for sax and mighty fine on just about anything else you point at it.
Old 13th October 2013
I just finished a mix for a client tonight and the vocals were recorded on a Lauten Audio Oceanus and I must say I was extremely impressed! Little eq was done to the vocals. I haven't had any experience w this mic and this is the first time I hear of this company, when the artist told me the name I was like lauten who? Anyone else use this mic? From the audio files I can def recommend it but from personal experience I cannot as I've never recorded w one
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

In my collection it's Brauner Valvet X, without a doubt. Can be had sometimes for just under 2000. Very good on many male vocals, great on anything with strings on it. Also read this discussion: Manley Ref Card vs Brauner Valvet X (sound samples included).
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Of course it depends a lot of what the source is and what your goal is..
But I'd give a try to all these:

Neumann U87
Neumann tlm170
Neumann U89
Brauner Valvet X
Violet Design Amethyst Vintage
Shure SM7

All of these could be rather versatile.. The Brauner will be the more open/detailed (in a nice way).. depending on the production any of these could be pretty good IME.
(of course I'll try to pair these mics with a nice xformer based preamp, like the MA5 or a BAE or an API for the ac gtr's..).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

thanks a bunch for the fabulous recommendations!

I have also been intrigued by the Audio-Technica AT-5040....i know it's $3000, but if i were to up my spending limit do any of you guys have any thoughts on this mic or personal experience using it?
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

- Lawson L47 mkII (used) +
Shure SM7

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

you guys have opened my eyes to some truly great stuff! i really appreciate it. i went ahead today and pulled the trigger on the Lauten Audio Atlantis.....it should be here in a few days.....i dont think i could have gone wrong with any of your suggestions but i'm sure hoping the atlantis is as good as advertised.....i'll report back soon.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Agreed the Lauten Oceanus or the Atlantis. Both are wonderful.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

ok guys i am really sort confused.....i got my Atlantis in on Friday and while i do think it is a great mic.....in a side by side comparison to pedestrian Rode NT2a my ears are actually finding the Rode to appear to have more top end and the body is also a bit more full.

to the lay ears the Rode would sound more in your face and bright and the Atlantis sounds more dull. now, while I dont consider myself a true "professional", I do have close to 25 years of recording experience and I consider myself to have "accurate" ears.

the Atlantis is obviously, more neutral and flat sounding, and i am worried that I am so used to hearing mics that are very colored such as the Rode that my ears are just not used to hearing a more high end mic that is more flat and authentic sounding.

i am really bothered thus far because as of right now I am not hearing enough of a difference between the two to for sure know I want to keep it.....it does sound better to me today than it did when i first used it....so maybe i am getting more used to it......but honestly i expected to hook this thing up and be ready to put my Rode away for good. I used to have a Neumann tlm 103 and before the Lauten and that was highest dollar mic I have owned. the Neumann was a good mic but the sibilance and brightness on top was just a bit too much for me on most occasions.

any thoughts or ideas or opinions on ways I could test this mic to warm up to it better would be appreciated.
Old 20th October 2013
mds
Lives for gear

For my money(literally), the Gefell M7 based mics are fantastic mics at any price. The UM70 is my fav, but the M71, UMT70 and MT71 are all great mics. All those are sub $1500 used.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
ok guys i am really sort confused.....i got my Atlantis in on Friday and while i do think it is a great mic.....in a side by side comparison to pedestrian Rode NT2a my ears are actually finding the Rode to appear to have more top end and the body is also a bit more full.

to the lay ears the Rode would sound more in your face and bright and the Atlantis sounds more dull. now, while I dont consider myself a true "professional", I do have close to 25 years of recording experience and I consider myself to have "accurate" ears.

the Atlantis is obviously, more neutral and flat sounding, and i am worried that I am so used to hearing mics that are very colored such as the Rode that my ears are just not used to hearing a more high end mic that is more flat and authentic sounding.

i am really bothered thus far because as of right now I am not hearing enough of a difference between the two to for sure know I want to keep it.....it does sound better to me today than it did when i first used it....so maybe i am getting more used to it......but honestly i expected to hook this thing up and be ready to put my Rode away for good. I used to have a Neumann tlm 103 and before the Lauten and that was highest dollar mic I have owned. the Neumann was a good mic but the sibilance and brightness on top was just a bit too much for me on most occasions.

any thoughts or ideas or opinions on ways I could test this mic to warm up to it better would be appreciated.
I wouldn't be too worried- give your ears some time to adjust before making any decisions. The Atlantis is a great all around mic, though not as “exciting" as some others mentioned. I'd still rather have something like a U87 (which would be in your price range if bought used) than most of the others you're considering. It's my favorite for a lot of male vocals.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:

Yeah but it has a cool name plus some dudes on a forum were talking it up.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

U87 is hard to criticize. Set it to Omni and put it up close for an acoustic guitar and you get "That" sound. Works great in Cardiod or Fig. 8 on vocals.

As for mics sounding "Duller" than the Rodes - part of the Rodes signature is a big boost from about 10Khz on. You're probably not going to find a company cheeky enough to try and go brighter - cause there's guys like me who hate it.

If you want bright, though, I guess a C414 is the next option. Which leads me to - what exactly do you want this new microphone to do?
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
For my money(literally), the Gefell M7 based mics are fantastic mics at any price. The UM70 is my fav, but the M71, UMT70 and MT71 are all great mics. All those are sub $1500 used.
The MT71S is under $2k NEW - and the UMT70S is about $2k NEW (ex VAT) - £908 +VAT and £1,214 +VAT respectively in the UK.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise View Post
U87 is hard to criticize. Set it to Omni and put it up close for an acoustic guitar and you get "That" sound. Works great in Cardiod or Fig. 8 on vocals.

As for mics sounding "Duller" than the Rodes - part of the Rodes signature is a big boost from about 10Khz on. You're probably not going to find a company cheeky enough to try and go brighter - cause there's guys like me who hate it.

If you want bright, though, I guess a C414 is the next option. Which leads me to - what exactly do you want this new microphone to do?
oh i'm not wanting the mic to be brighter than the Rode....the Rode in on the verge of being too bright......what I was saying is that I was surprised when I plugged the Atlantis up that it didnt automatically sound better than the Rode to my ears.....and i think that is because I am conditioned to hearing the brighter Rode.....

the atlantis actually sounds a bit more detailed and clear even though it is clearly not as bright as the Rode. that's great and something that I enjoy....i guess I'm just trying to decide if the Atlantis is actually a true $1500 upgrade to my current sound.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks a bunch for the fabulous recommendations!

I have also been intrigued by the Audio-Technica AT-5040....i know it's $3000, but if i were to up my spending limit do any of you guys have any thoughts on this mic or personal experience using it?
AT5040 might be a great microphone... it could also be not that great or just simply lack the "magic" you would expect from a mic in that price range.... its so new with so few users its basically unproven. I would let someone else figure that out. To someone who already has everything or has specific needs it could be worth it to check it out, but not for a first time high end buyer imo.

Since you are willing to spend 3k, i would highly suggest considering a Bock 251...its one of those mics you keep for life and has that elusive "wow" factor to its sound that not a lot of mics can claim. There is a very good demo of it on a vocalist on Trans Audio Groups web site if you want to check it out.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

Peluso 2247 SE for me on this criteria
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
I would send your nt2a into oktavamod for a makeover. it will cost you 1/4 of your budget and most likely stay in your collection until you die.

well maybe that's a little over the top but it really is a well worth it mod once you already have the rode mic as the base.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search