The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommend your best studio mic for $2000 or less
Old 21st October 2013
  #31
MJB
Lives for gear
 
MJB's Avatar
Blackspade U17 or U17r. The Telefunken AK47 is the same as the $1,000 U17, but sells for $2,200. The "R" version includes the Thiersch capsule and a few other things, and sells at around $1,800

Like MDS said, the M7 based mics should be on your short list, and this is one of them.
Old 21st October 2013
  #32
Gear Nut
 

+1 on the Blackspade UM17!! Most bang for the buck hands down..

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 21st October 2013
  #33
Gear Addict
 
jayson_p's Avatar
 

A Lawson L47 would be a excellent choice for your criteria. The price for a new one is $1995. I picked one up about 15 years ago and I've never been unhappy with the choice.
L47MP MKII: Lawson Microphones

$2k seems to be a going rate for used U87s these days - I'd certainly give one a listen.

Does it need to be an LDC? Maybe a Royer or AEA Ribbon?

Don't be afraid to shop around though. For a mic in that price range you should be instantly pleased with it. If it doesn't float your boat right out of the gate, send it back and try something else until you find the right fit. I'm not a big fan of the idea that you should have to "get used to" the way a mic sounds; it's either going to be what you're looking for, or it's not. If it isn't, make some notes about the characteristics that you can refer to later and move on to the next candidate - there's plenty of fish in that sea.
Old 21st October 2013
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

i cant thank you guys enough for all the help......even though I consider myself a bit of a "gearhead" you have opened my eyes to many mics that I was very unfamiliar with. I appreciate the continued input and I am still trying to decide what to do.
Old 21st October 2013
  #35
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
i cant thank you guys enough for all the help......even though I consider myself a bit of a "gearhead" you have opened my eyes to many mics that I was very unfamiliar with. I appreciate the continued input and I am still trying to decide what to do.
In all honesty, if you don't like it send it back...besides what people say about it on GS.. USE YOUR EARS! If it works in your environment for your goals it's fine..if it doesn't, it's probably not useful to you anyway.. send it back and get something else..

A reason why most the mics on my list are great mics BUT also kind of classics somehow... they maintain a good value (most of them) and eventually are easy to resell for that reason and because they're well known and versatile..
Lauten? might be a great mic, but if you don't like it or simply don't need its charachteristic, maybe not so many people knows about it or care too much (despite GS members)... this doesn't mean that the Lauten is bad..

just my 0,02$,

good luck,

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 21st October 2013 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st October 2013
  #36
Lives for gear
 
krheatman's Avatar
Advanced Audio Cm67se has it by a mile!
And it's half your budget.
Sent from my HTCONE
Old 21st October 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

A Neumann U-87 is a great option for many things, male & female vocals, Bass guitar, acoustic guitar, drum room, electric guitar, etc... Multiple uses, a familiar sounding mic, that is built with quality. I had a rode many years ago it was awful at many things. And great on none. Harsh sterile, lacking.

The Peluso P-12 is an amazing mic for the price. I had one for 3 years great on vocals.

Many great mics have been mentioned here.

Maybe it's the preamp your not happy with?
Old 21st October 2013
  #38
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
A Neumann U-87 is a great option for many things, male & female vocals, Bass guitar, acoustic guitar, drum room, electric guitar, etc... Multiple uses, a familiar sounding mic, that is built with quality. I had a rode many years ago it was awful at many things. And great on none. Harsh sterile, lacking.

The Peluso P-12 is an amazing mic for the price. I had one for 3 years great on vocals.

Many great mics have been mentioned here.

Maybe it's the preamp your not happy with?

nah I like my preamps quite a bit. it's not that I dont like the Rode, Neumann or the Atlantis....they all sound good.....but my hope was that I would make a significant upgrade in my sound.....and the Atlantis doesnt seem to be giving me that. so i think i may be sending it back.
Old 21st October 2013
  #39
Gear Maniac
 

ok....the Atlantis is heading back to Sweetwater. I am not sure what direction I am going in for sure other than I am picking up a Shure SM7B to add to the collection.....after checking out that mic I love what it can do and although it wont be perfect for all applications it certainly appears to be a mic that will do great with certain vocals and distorted guitar cabinets.....thanks for the suggestions on that mic!

also, I am leaning a bit towards the Mojave MA-200 at this point.....I am thinking I need to add a tube mic in to the equation....I love the Lawson mic that was suggested but I am just thinking that maybe I dont need to spend that much money at this point, especially since I have decided to add the Shure to the locker.
Old 21st October 2013
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
I am leaning a bit towards the Mojave MA-200 at this point
FWIW my MA-300 has become my go to mike for vocals. Works well on a lot of singers, both male and female. Doesn't have so much of that strident and hashy high end that I have grown to hate in a lot of the newer LDC's. For the record I have two very nicely restored early 70's U87's, but I usually pick the MA-300.....For a couple hundred more over the MA-200 you get the multi-pattern capability, which in my mind is well worth it.
Old 21st October 2013
  #41
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
FWIW my MA-300 has become my go to mike for vocals. Works well on a lot of singers, both male and female. Doesn't have so much of that strident and hashy high end that I have grown to hate in a lot of the newer LDC's. For the record I have two very nicely restored early 70's U87's, but I usually pick the MA-300.....For a couple hundred more over the MA-200 you get the multi-pattern capability, which in my mind is well worth it.
hey thanks a bunch!
Old 23rd October 2013
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

well i tip my hat to those of you who suggested the Shure sm7b!!!! after i sent the Atlantis back I wound up ordering the Mojave MA-200 and the Shure sm7b....both of those mics combined were about the same price as the Atlantis.

the Mojave is really nice and much more in line with what my ears were looking for.....nice presence but with warmth without being harsh....so i'm very happy with it.

BUT.....the real surprise was the creamy finger of god awesomeness of the shure sm7b. set it up in front of my guitar cab and literally could not get it to sound bad, no matter where i placed it....i did comparison clips with my beta 57a and after hearing the end results it was night and day in favor of the sm7b....so much more girth, width and creamy midrange....i am ecstatic over this thing thus far......then i sang some clips with it and was blown away with the tone i got out of it....very surprised to say the least......these two mics have certainly at this point seemed to be the best choices for me in the price range of what i was comfortable to spend.

so tonight im a happy boy! thanks for all the great input....and hopefully as time goes on i will be able to add additional mics into my locker that were great suggestions from you guys!
Old 23rd October 2013
  #43
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Neumann KM 86 or KMS 84i.
Old 23rd October 2013
  #44
Gear Addict
Old 23rd October 2013
  #45
Gear Addict
Miitek cv4 with mic rehab mod all you'll need the cv4 is nice to begin with but the micrehab mod is AWSOME o did I say AWSOME
Old 24th October 2013
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

well as fate would have it....after recording some sound clips with my mojave ma-200 i then compared those to the Atlantis I had sent back and realized I must have been tone deaf when I first got the Atlantis.....after a few days when I hear the Atlantis clips I am blown away.....sooooooooo, i called Sweetwater and have officially sent the Mojave back and the Atlantis is coming back home tomorrow.....LOL....yeh, I'm apparently crazy.....i'm not usually this bad but at least I'm gonna end up with what I want. plus I still wound up with a shure sm7b out of this adventure as well!!!
Old 24th October 2013
  #47
Gear Addict
 
garyboy2024's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
well as fate would have it....after recording some sound clips with my mojave ma-200 i then compared those to the Atlantis I had sent back and realized I must have been tone deaf when I first got the Atlantis.....after a few days when I hear the Atlantis clips I am blown away.....sooooooooo, i called Sweetwater and have officially sent the Mojave back and the Atlantis is coming back home tomorrow.....LOL....yeh, I'm apparently crazy.....i'm not usually this bad but at least I'm gonna end up with what I want. plus I still wound up with a shure sm7b out of this adventure as well!!!
Haha... thanks for sharing your story. Makes me chuckle Well now at least you can have some peace of mind over your original decision.
Old 25th October 2013
  #48
Lives for gear
I would say the u87. It just has "THAT" sound. Pearlman Tm-1 or Gefell m7 would be close second choice.
Old 25th October 2013
  #49
Gear Addict
 
jayson_p's Avatar
 

Bill Bradley's got this thing on his wesite - $2450 a little higher than your price-point, but unlikely you'd regret it!

Old 25th October 2013
  #50
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
Bill Bradley's got this thing on his wesite - $2450 a little higher than your price-point, but unlikely you'd regret it!

That mic looks really cool bet it sounds great!
Old 25th October 2013
  #51
Try messing around with the Voice Switch, see what tone works best
Old 26th October 2013
  #52
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 

Love my Atlantis. It was hard to believe that you did not like the sound it was giving you. Play with the tone switches. Small changes, but can help the source sit better in a mix.
Old 26th October 2013
  #53
Lives for gear
 
ricfoxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
well i tip my hat to those of you who suggested the Shure sm7b!!!! after i sent the Atlantis back I wound up ordering the Mojave MA-200 and the Shure sm7b....both of those mics combined were about the same price as the Atlantis.

the Mojave is really nice and much more in line with what my ears were looking for.....nice presence but with warmth without being harsh....so i'm very happy with it.

BUT.....the real surprise was the creamy finger of god awesomeness of the shure sm7b. set it up in front of my guitar cab and literally could not get it to sound bad, no matter where i placed it....i did comparison clips with my beta 57a and after hearing the end results it was night and day in favor of the sm7b....so much more girth, width and creamy midrange....i am ecstatic over this thing thus far......then i sang some clips with it and was blown away with the tone i got out of it....very surprised to say the least......these two mics have certainly at this point seemed to be the best choices for me in the price range of what i was comfortable to spend.

so tonight im a happy boy! thanks for all the great input....and hopefully as time goes on i will be able to add additional mics into my locker that were great suggestions from you guys!
I was thinking...man, must be his DA. My Miktek CV4 sounds average through my Eleven Rack but awesome when ran through the Apollo going through the D Box. Almost no EQ or compression needed!

Maybe your ears were fatigued. If you like the SM7b, try the SM57 with Tab mod $185. Your welcome!

Sent from my SGH-M919
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump