The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DT770 Pro headphones - damaged?
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict
DT770 Pro headphones - damaged?

I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's for 11 years. A very reliable hardworking piece of kit.

However I've noticed that I'm getting a type of distortion on the right speaker particularly with bass frequencies, to the point of them being unusable for mixing.

Anyone experienced this or have any ideas on how to sort this?

Already looking at replacing them - but they have a kind of sentimental value!

Rgds
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict
anyone?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Russ. View Post
anyone?
Oh yes, I also have distorion in mine on the left side, it left them in a "too-frustrating-to-use" condition... So you're not alone and we are not alone... If you look at some of my headphone/speaker related threads I'm trying to convince people not to buy these due to their quality issues, one GS member was even close to spending 1000 USD on them, I think I was able to rescue him from a disaster... None of my other 6 headphone sets have this issue, not even the DT 880 model... BTW. The DT 880 model is quite good in other ways too, it definitely puts the DT 770 on the sideline when you have both of them...

I remember when I got the DT 770 cans, it was one of the first cans I purchased, I thought should cans really sound like this. They were like super bass heavy, had almost no mid range and a moderate high end except at a certain narrow range where it gets super loud and really annoying. And the mixes I got out from them were terrible, just terrible. When I got my other headphone sets I soon realised - no - cans shouldn't sound like this. Some time later they got the distortion noise and after that I haven't used them at all, some of the worst purchases ever...

If this makes you purchase some new cans, I think it is kind of good that they broke...
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

I had this too (both sides). It's most likely hair in the cans behind the first layer of foam inside the cup. Take that foam off, remove all the hair you can see (be very precise, some of them are very hard to spot) with a pair of tweezers and bang - if all goes well you've got no nasty crackling sound anymore.

- Tiko
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirmu View Post
I had this too (both sides). It's most likely hair in the cans behind the first layer of foam inside the cup. Take that foam off, remove all the hair you can see (be very precise, some of them are very hard to spot) with a pair of tweezers and bang - if all goes well you've got no nasty crackling sound anymore.

- Tiko
Thanks, amazing technique!

Are they worth fixing though?! I'm not sure, stuff like this just makes me look for a recycle bin somewhere around me...
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe View Post
Thanks, amazing technique!

Are they worth fixing though?! I'm not sure, stuff like this just makes me look for a recycle bin somewhere around me...
I takes some time but I do think it's worth it, my pair's been in use for over 7 years and still kicking!

- Tiko
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirmu View Post

- Tiko
Wow! I must have gone through 4 pairs of Beyer Dynamics over the years assuming the distortion comes from permanent damage. Thanks for the quick fix!
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

I also have a pair that distort on the left side. Use them for checking mixes only at low volumes now. Love my Sony 7509s and m50s and probably won't get another pair of Beyer Dynamics based on my experience.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaniel View Post
I also have a pair that distort on the left side. Use them for checking mixes only at low volumes now. Love my Sony 7509s and m50s and probably won't get another pair of Beyer Dynamics based on my experience.
Hmm... Oh boy, this could become an interesting DT 770 cans quality thread, member after member is now showing up sharing a few words on true quality of the DT 770 cans.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVibe View Post
Hmm... Oh boy, this could become an interesting DT 770 cans quality thread, member after member is now showing up sharing a few words on true quality of the DT 770 cans.
The DT990 has the same issues.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

I had the same problem with mine. sent em back to get fixed. had the same problem a year later. I liked the way they sounded but they didn't hold up
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Good View Post
The DT990 has the same issues.
Ouch, that puts my lovely DT 880 cans in a tight spot
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I love my pair of 770s, no issues whatsoever. I can however confirm the hair theory. Back in the days my small Walkman headphones suffered of the same thing. Easy fix
Anybody uses the Superlux rip off of those 770s? Very low cost, fairly similar sound! Perfect to have a large quantity of cans in your studio! I use them for tracking only, especially for those scruffy musicians, that find it challenging to keep themselves clean
Only the jack plugs needed replacing. But hey, those cans just cost a fraction of the original.
Sure, it's a blatant rip off, but one has to live too
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

I have 2 pairs, both suffering from this...if this hair theory is accurate, I'll be happy.
Old 25th October 2013
I've got 6 pairs going strong in a busy commercial studio. No distortion issues (though I'll bear that in mind if I come across it!).

Great tracking phones, I wouldn't use them for mixing though. Get a good pair of open backs for checking mixes.
Old 25th October 2013
aoc
Gear Head

Search around the web and you'll see a lot of people have this problem.

It's mostly caused by hair getting into the drivers. Possibly through the bass reflex ports.

I think I've seen instructions on how to open the headphones, it shouldn't take longer than 20min and they will be good like new.

I remember my DT770 having some minor distortion issues too, but that was only when listening to bass test songs at medium to high volumes.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I've got 6 pairs going strong in a busy commercial studio. No distortion issues (though I'll bear that in mind if I come across it!).

Great tracking phones, I wouldn't use them for mixing though. Get a good pair of open backs for checking mixes.
What would you recommend AKG?

Cheers
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
I had the same problem with mine. sent em back to get fixed. had the same problem a year later. I liked the way they sounded but they didn't hold up
Same here. It's happened three times for me. If it were just hair in the cones that would have been nice to see in the invoice. They're currently doing it again so I'll pull em open and try.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Addict

My initial excitement has dampened a little bit since it is most definitely not a hair issue on my beloved 3rd pair of DT990. I don't have the 2 previous DT990 anymore that suffered the same fate but I always assumed that my issue comes from recording and tracking too many distorted guitars.

Well...it could still be related to hair a little since the majority of guitarist had long hair when my first two models failed. The third DT990 lasted more than a decade after long hair, leather pans and cowboy boots fell out of favor.

Last edited by J.Good; 29th October 2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search