The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of "improved" versions of classic microphones?
Old 24th September 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

What do you think of "improved" versions of classic microphones?

As in...
SM57 vs. Beta 57
RE20 vs. RE27
421 vs. 421 MK II

Got neodynium?

Chris
Old 24th September 2002
One with big hooves

I wouldn't really call any of those new and improved. The only one that really counts on that list is the 421. The Beta 57 is a totally different mic then a 57. I actually thought you were going to ask about something like a Lawson 47 vs. an old U47.
Old 24th September 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Good points Jay.
Maybe "How do you like neodynium elements in dynamics?" would have
been a clearer topic title as that was the intent.

Chris
Old 24th September 2002
Gear Guru

The EV N/D series sounds good. I like the 408/468 and the snare and bass drum ones as well.
Old 24th September 2002
Gear Addict

I like my M147's - but I don't have a U47 to compare it to (or an M49 for that matter). I also like my KM184's but dont have any KM84's.

I do like my Senn e609 as compared to a 409 though.
Beta57a are great - but nothing like sm57's.

How about the new AKG451 compared to an old 451 ?
Old 24th September 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

At first I didn't like the Beta 57a as much as the '57.
I think it was because the Beta has a tighter pattern and is less
forgiving when you sing off-axis.
I like it as much now, it does sound brighter than a SM57 though.

Chris
Old 24th September 2002
I like my M149's

But havent had any significant time on the old model it is supposed to be a relation of...
Old 25th September 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
I like my M147's - but I don't have a U47 to compare it to (or an M49 for that matter).

How about the new AKG451 compared to an old 451 ?
The M147 sounds NOTHING like a U47. It's closer to a 47Fet but it's not as useful IMHO. I think the 103 is a decent to great mic (that love/hate thing again) but the M147 just isn't all that cool for the money IMHO.

Ty Ford just did a review of the new 451 for Pro Audio Review. I'll see if he wants to drop by and post it or if he'll let me do it for him. In a nutshell it was a bit brighter then the original ones he compared it to.
Old 26th September 2002
One with big hooves

Here's a link to Ty's 451 review.

ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/tfor...20_AKG_451.txt

If that doesn't work go to
ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/tfor...s/Mic_Reviews/ and look for 02.3_AKG_451
Old 26th September 2002
High End Moderator

The Soundelux 251 is an incredible remake of the original Telefunken ELAM 251. We had three different original ELAM 251s and a ELUX 251 for a shootout and all three originals sounded different, all good, but different. The ELUX was the favourite of 80% of the people in the room.

I just got the new Soundelux E47 and it is hands down my favorite microphone, even over the 251. I don't know how it compares to the original U47, but it sure is a wonderful mic.
Old 14th October 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
The Soundelux 251 is an incredible remake of the original Telefunken ELAM 251. We had three different original ELAM 251s and a ELUX 251 for a shootout and all three originals sounded different, all good, but different. The ELUX was the favourite of 80% of the people in the room.

I just got the new Soundelux E47 and it is hands down my favorite microphone, even over the 251. I don't know how it compares to the original U47, but it sure is a wonderful mic.
I love the E47 so much. I think it's "better" only in the fact that it's a little more versatile than the ELUX 251. It has more polar patterns (sweepable instead of fixed), is not quite so airy in the top as the 251, and has a slightly less scooped low mid range than the 251. Both are super sweet though.
Old 15th October 2002
Gear Maniac

I like buying all the mics that aren't as popular in the reviews and on boards like this one, so rarely sell for what their worth.

That would include the 3 brand new M-147s I got for $1K each with shock mounts and the Soundelux U95S I got brand new for $2.5K. In my experience better and more versatile than an M-149.

NO, the M-147 doesn't sound like it's supposed predecessor, but it's a great overhead mic, nice mic for guitar cabs and very good for some vocals. A pair on a cello is impressive.

Discussing mics without considering the pres is always a tough one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search