The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Joe Meek Sc3, how is it... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

Joe Meek Sc3, how is it...

i was wondering cuz scam cash are having there buy it now pay 12 month's later thingy going on...and they have it listed for 999.99...is it any good? as far as outboard compressors go i just have an RNC which i like alot....i just want something with more OMPH! and crunch.... does the joe meek succeed in that department?

thanks
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

how about how are joe meek compressors in general? my gearsluttiness is making it hard for me to wait...
Old 18th November 2003
Gear nut

Well I had for years a Joe Meek C2 - one of the small half rack budget things.

I loved it - I know it wasn't in the same league as hi-end comps, had a wall wart, not as good as a SC2 etc. But it had character, everything sounded better through it. Pod through it warmer, drums thick etc.

I really liked it, and hate myself for selling it!

They're not transparent, they're not subtle - but you know you're using it!

Pete
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

i don't want subtle my rnc and plug-in compressors do that fine....i want omph!!! and it sounds like it might do the trick....
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

what about an 1176? sam ash carries those.
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

more expensive...$1000 is about my ceiling...i just ordered it....if it doesn't sound like i want it too i'll just send it back no biggie....

and i have the UAD-1 card that has the 1176 which i really like but doesn't seem too versatile to me anyway...squashes drums like nobodies business though
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

1176 not versatile? yeah....i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. good luck with the joemeek though.
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

thats probably my lack of understanding of the unit(which i definetly don't doubt is the reason), but its too much for my blood currently anyway....if the joe meek sucks maybe i can haggle the sam ash rep to give me one(1176) for about the same price...now that would rock!!!!

thanks for the feed...but i do hope the meek doesn't suck...
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

let me know how you like it. i've never heard a sc3 myself.
Old 18th November 2003
Lives for gear

and did you by any chance talk to alan hyatt about it? i'm curious about his thoughts.
Old 19th November 2003
Lives for gear

nope i was hoping he was going to chime in on this thread...all i did was net searches on it...if it sounds half as good as the hype i'll be happy what really sold me was it has aes connections to route to a daw,i hope thats a standard feature and not some upgrade...read that on a forum..
Old 19th November 2003
Lives for gear

those aes connections are from 1998 though!!!! are they 16 or 20 bit?
Old 19th November 2003
Lives for gear

well bust how sam ash said they don't have'em anymore , o well maybe i can talk them down on the 1176...you don't think the 1176 is a little redundant with the plug-in?
Old 19th November 2003
Gear addict

I have the Joe Meek SC2.2, which was around $600, and it's pretty cool. It's not real versatile, but it's got a really aggressive sound that might be what you're looking for.
Old 19th November 2003
I have one, I think my Digital i/o has stopped working though.... it WAS 24 bit though, that was for sure...

Old 19th November 2003
Lives for gear

how do you like the compressor itself jules?
Old 19th November 2003
Gear addict

I would personally rather spend $600 on the upcoming Toft Audio DC-2. I'll bet its going to rock.

Beez
Old 19th November 2003
I dig it,

but somehow it hasn't ended up in my main racks, its up in storage.....

It's not IMHO suited as a vocal compressor, it didnt catch the transients quick enough on a lot of lead vocals I did many years ago ago through it so I've been wary of using it in that aplication ever since... (got a weird spitting effect that was hard to deal with in the mix)

But on guitars / drum & bass it has a very Black Crows / George Dracoulias / JJ Puig / retro / Primal Scream etc.. sound to it.

It was last seen on drum crush duities on a mix of a Stonesy / retro band I had through here a year and a half ago..

If you are into Black Crows / Lenny Kravitz / Kings of Leon / 70's Garage rock it's a good unit for ya.. IMHO

Old 20th November 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Jules,

I have several spare dig cards for the SC3's if you need one. Just let me know. I do not have any SC3's so you are welcome to one.

This is not SPAM guys....I was asked,

My feelings on the the SC3 is it was very good for getting compression effect sounds. Most of the Joemeek was never a fast attacking compressor due to the optical circuitry, but that is what also made it what it was. The SC3 however, had two individule attack controls. This gave it a more unique effect of almost acting like a gate, so you can kind of trim the decay of a snare. It was very good for drums, guitars and vocals. Some really liked it for mixing as well, but most that use Meek for mixing is doing so for a reason. Jack Puig is a fanatic with using Meeks in his mixes.

Honey and the Bees new Album that is coming out is mixed with the SC3 as well, but it was done intentionally for some color. The unit did not do AES/EBU as it claimed and the word clock was a bit tempermental.

So to Teacher, for that money, it is not a great deal in my opinion. The SC3 was replaced with the SC4 and those go for less than 999.99. I think you paid a bit to much for it if you asked me, but you may very well enjoy it. I think you would have done better with something else to be direct if I may.

The new Joemeek design is miles better, but only time will tell this, and they will not be out for a few months yet, and the first units are the tracking channels. I am happy to discuss the new Meek with anyone if you wish, just ask, but there is a new kid on the block right now that is being overlooked, and it should not.

Had it been me, I would have bought the new Toft ATC-2. Dual mic amps, dual 80B EQ's and dual compressors that are FET, very much like 1176, and are just way cool. Its price is the same as you paid for the SC3, and the Toft FET compressor will also give you compression effects and color if you want, but it can also control a vocal and not distort on the peaks as it is smokin fast. Plus you get more mic amps and EQ...Not that everyone needs more mic amps and EQ, but we are talking about Malcolm Tofts 80B EQ, and it is supreme... The mic amps are a plus, and are very good.

For me, if I was going to spend $999.00, my money would have been spent on the ATC-2. I think you will be hearing a good deal more from the new Toft Audio. Mercenary Audio is a dealer, but more can be found on the web site at www.toftaudio.com

Anytime you want my advice, just e-mail me. I am always happy to tell you all the truth.
Old 21st November 2003
Gear maniac

Alan,
In his review, Fletcher mentions that there may be a future revision of the ATC-2 allowing the user to choose whether the compressor comes after the EQ, or before. Personally I would find that extremely useful, as I also normally compress before EQ.

Can you comment on that idea for a future revision?

Thanks
/Henrik
Old 21st November 2003
Lives for gear

If i'm not mistaking, the ATC-2 now is that way: first EQ and then compressor (front panel might make you think otherwise tho).
I prefer to use compressor first and then EQ, so a revision with the added flexibility would be great!
Old 21st November 2003
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDeltaM
If i'm not mistaking, the ATC-2 now is that way: first EQ and then compressor
The funny thing is that the single channel unit has a post/pre-switch for the EQ, so I wonder why it was left out on the stereo version.

Also, Alan, I wonder if there are any plans for a standalone EQ unit?

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 21st November 2003
Hey!

I will be in touch soon for a digital board!

Thanks for the offer!

Jules
Old 21st November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
Alan,
In his review, Fletcher mentions that there may be a future revision of the ATC-2 allowing the user to choose whether the compressor comes after the EQ, or before. Personally I would find that extremely useful, as I also normally compress before EQ.

Can you comment on that idea for a future revision?

Thanks
/Henrik
The only unit that switches the EQ pre/post compressor is the EC-1. The ATC-2 is so packed there may not be room for it. If it is ever done, it may be a dip switch on the back so you can set it either way, but there is not much if any room on the front panel of the ATC-2 to get it in.

In either case, this will not be done anytime soon as it would be a design change and require re-tooling.
Old 21st November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alanhyatt
Hey Jules,

I have several spare dig cards for the SC3's if you need one. Just let me know. I do not have any SC3's so you are welcome to one.

This is not SPAM guys....I was asked,

My feelings on the the SC3 is it was very good for getting compression effect sounds. Most of the Joemeek was never a fast attacking compressor due to the optical circuitry, but that is what also made it what it was. The SC3 however, had two individule attack controls. This gave it a more unique effect of almost acting like a gate, so you can kind of trim the decay of a snare. It was very good for drums, guitars and vocals. Some really liked it for mixing as well, but most that use Meek for mixing is doing so for a reason. Jack Puig is a fanatic with using Meeks in his mixes.

Honey and the Bees new Album that is coming out is mixed with the SC3 as well, but it was done intentionally for some color. The unit did not do AES/EBU as it claimed and the word clock was a bit tempermental.

So to Teacher, for that money, it is not a great deal in my opinion. The SC3 was replaced with the SC4 and those go for less than 999.99. I think you paid a bit to much for it if you asked me, but you may very well enjoy it. I think you would have done better with something else to be direct if I may.

The new Joemeek design is miles better, but only time will tell this, and they will not be out for a few months yet, and the first units are the tracking channels. I am happy to discuss the new Meek with anyone if you wish, just ask, but there is a new kid on the block right now that is being overlooked, and it should not.

Had it been me, I would have bought the new Toft ATC-2. Dual mic amps, dual 80B EQ's and dual compressors that are FET, very much like 1176, and are just way cool. Its price is the same as you paid for the SC3, and the Toft FET compressor will also give you compression effects and color if you want, but it can also control a vocal and not distort on the peaks as it is smokin fast. Plus you get more mic amps and EQ...Not that everyone needs more mic amps and EQ, but we are talking about Malcolm Tofts 80B EQ, and it is supreme... The mic amps are a plus, and are very good.

For me, if I was going to spend $999.00, my money would have been spent on the ATC-2. I think you will be hearing a good deal more from the new Toft Audio. Mercenary Audio is a dealer, but more can be found on the web site at www.toftaudio.com

Anytime you want my advice, just e-mail me. I am always happy to tell you all the truth.
well thank god they didn't have anymore!! i didn't get it....woooo hooo!

if mercenary had buy now pay a year later i would def get a Toft....or if sam ash has one this weekend i'll check it out....i got my eye though on the pure path channel strip thats been at sam ash for a little minute...time to use bargaining tactics!
Old 21st November 2003
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by alanhyatt
The only unit that switches the EQ pre/post compressor is the EC-1. The ATC-2 is so packed there may not be room for it...it would be a design change and require re-tooling.
I see. Thanks for your reply. Any plans for a standalone Toft EQ unit (so you can get that and a compressor, and patch things the way you want them)?

Cheers
/HEnrik
Old 21st November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see. Thanks for your reply. Any plans for a standalone Toft EQ unit (so you can get that and a compressor, and patch things the way you want them)?

Cheers
/HEnrik
i second that notion...
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers
/HEnrik
Actually Henrik, that is a good question. The answer is yes. The question is what. We thought about doing the A range, but the real A range, not a copy.

Malcolm Toft designed the original, Ted Fletcher screwed up the remake on Trident-MTA, so if it is an A range, it will be original including the original mic amps.

The questions is, is that what it should be. We can make it very reasonable and affordable based on our manufacturing so many users can afford it. Two channels targeted at $1999.00 list or less. Or should it be a mastering EQ? If so, what features are needed?

Opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Are we on the right track, or off base.
Old 22nd November 2003
Gear maniac

Well, when I asked, I was thinking about a standalone version of the EQ that is included in the ATC-2, which I imagined would be priced similarly to the standalone compressor ($799 list, right?).

I see it like this: If I could get the EQ+compressor (separate units) for the same price as the ATC-2, I would probably buy the separate units. I'd be fine with giving up the mic pres of the ATC-2 in exchange for the added flexibility of two separate units.

Regarding a two channel Trident A range unit for $1999 list...could be interesting, even though it's a bit out of my price range. And when I'm dreaming of a pre/EQ combination up in that range, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Neve inspired unit.

Just my .02 SEK. I'm far from convinced I'm representative of the audio community.

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 22nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Henrik,

You would be better off then by getting the AFC-2. Dual 4 band sweep eq. Yes it has mic amps, but you do not have to use them. $599.00 will be the street price.

For us, there is no sense to do another EQ bu itself that we already have for the same price as the others, so forget the mic amps that come with the AFC-2...That is my suggestion.

For us, if we are going to do an EQ only, it has to be more than what we already have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search