The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decent reverb. Effects unit for vocal tracking Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Nut

Decent reverb. Effects unit for vocal tracking

My reverberations plugins are sufficient for mixing at the moment. But I'd like to find an acceptable reverberations unit for tracking vocals so I can avoid the latency monitoring through the daw.
I'm looking to spend £150-200.
cheers
-M

Sent from my i-mobile IQ1-1
Old 6th October 2013
Behringer V-Verb. Even though it's Badringer, it is a very good sounding reverb.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrobot View Post
My reverberations plugins are sufficient for mixing at the moment. But I'd like to find an acceptable reverberations unit for tracking vocals so I can avoid the latency monitoring through the daw.
cheers
-M

Sent from my i-mobile IQ1-1
Cant you lower your buffer to an acceptable size?

96 samples is usually sufficient for me and a lot of times the latency itself is the effect and singers do like it.

Where are you currently putting your reverb in the chain? The further down the chain you have your verb means more latency. For example a verb placed on the input channel will be more latent than a verb placed on the recording track or an FX bus.

Also, try to turn any plugins off with "lookahead". Those will kill ya.

If none of that works for ya, you can export a track to a fresh session and crank the latency down to 48 samples if you want.

Just tryin to save you some loot.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear
Alesis Wedge
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use a quadraverb set to plate for all monitoring through the board.

Buy any used Alesis junk, they sound fine for artist monitoring.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird View Post
Cant you lower your buffer to an acceptable size?

96 samples is usually sufficient for me and a lot of times the latency itself is the effect and singers do like it.

Where are you currently putting your reverb in the chain? The further down the chain you have your verb means more latency. For example a verb placed on the input channel will be more latent than a verb placed on the recording track or an FX bus.

Also, try to turn any plugins off with "lookahead". Those will kill ya.

If none of that works for ya, you can export a track to a fresh session and crank the latency down to 48 samples if you want.

Just tryin to save you some loot.
Cheers mate
I'm always looking to not buy if i can help it.
I usually have reverb on an effect buss and I haven't tried down to 96.
I usually have quite a lot of plugins running when doing vocals but exporting to a new session sounds like a good workaround.
I do use monitor through my 828 with guitars but for voxs the dry sound is vibeless.
The other suggestions sound good as well.
Cheers
-Matt
Oh ya "reverberations" damn predictive text!
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

I bought a little sound craft mixer to run for my monitoring in my live room. It comes with built in delays and reverbs. Not the best but at least singers can have some and adjust it themselves.
Old 6th October 2013
I think you are on a very wrong track wanting to track vocals with reverb. How can you edit anything that's drenched in reverb? I would suggest tracking as clean and dry as you possibly can; do all your editing, automation, compression, eq etc, and then apply reverb at mix time.

For a start, you will only have to work with mono tracks. Record with reverb and you have painted yourself into a corner.

Latency with reverb is never a problem anyway - most reverbs sound best with some pre-delay. The trick is to use a reverb 100% wet. Never pass your good dry vocal signal through a reverb - it does too much damage.

Adding reverb later means that you can do tricks like applying a de-esser or eq to the reverb send, but not to the dry vocal. Or apply auto-tune to the reverb send but not to the dry vocal. These are all useful tricks that have been fairly common for years.
Old 6th October 2013
Oh you mean just on the monitoring chain ... practically anything can work, but it can also be a mistake too. Consider just a room mic for a sense of ambience, and easier communication.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

LiquidSonics Reverberate LE is "charityware" (it runs without cost but they ask you donate anything to cancer research), zero latency, sounds as good as your impulses. The paid version has modulation.

I'm also a registered user of Knufinke's SIR2, which is settable to zero latency. It loads impulses that have been converted to FLAC, lots of control in every dimension. License works on their Mac version too. Worth every penny, me thinks.

Quote:
"SIR2 is a truly elegant piece of software, providing a great range of general-purpose convolution facilities within a no-nonsense interface. It's relatively CPU light, requires no dongle, and I can't fault the sound quality.
However, what really sets it apart for me is that it makes working with convolution at mixdown so straightforward. As a result, it's usually first call whenever I need reverb, and if you forced me to choose just one reverb plug-in for everything in my mix, it would certainly be SIR2."

-- Mike Senior, author of Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio and Sound On Sound's 'Mix Rescue' & 'Mix Review' columns.
Both are absolutely beautiful sounding (well, I did take the time to sort 5,000 impulses in the dead of the winter).
Even on old computers these have been good to me, and I may as well thank those particular developers for such nice demos and fair licensing terms.

Last edited by JoeyM; 6th October 2013 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: add quote
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Oh you mean just on the monitoring chain ... practically anything can work, but it can also be a mistake too. Consider just a room mic for a sense of ambience, and easier communication.
I'll try a room mic but my mix room is where I track vox (at the moment) and is quite dry...decay times are 250-300 ms down to about 60hz.
...lots of good suggestions. I have the sonnox reverb wich I like a lot so I'm going to try avoiding buying any more plug-ins..but I'll try the SIR2 and liquid sonics demo.
-Cheers for the suggestions.
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrobot View Post
But I'd like to find an acceptable reverberations unit for tracking vocals so I can avoid the latency monitoring through the daw.
latency on the actual signal is a PITA to perform with, but IMO, latency in the reverb is much less of a problem. Reverb is supposed to be after the signal.

Many of my favorite reverb patches have longer predelays than my DAW's latency.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search